What are your expectations for the Gophers

What I expect out of the program and what I want are two different things. I'd love it if we became an MSU-type program, but it's certainly not an expectation of mine. I certainly hope whoever the Gophers' head coach is, their expectations are higher than mine.

This board accepts a lot of average metrics. MS's Tom Izzo has a team where everyone he has ever recruited has been on his roster for at least one final four game. That is one solid measure of a great coach.

He's the only coach EVER who could make such a claim.

Coach K at Duke comes CLOSE but not quite. No other coach comes close.

This board accepts a lot of average metrics. MS's Tom Izzo has a team where everyone he has ever recruited has been on his roster for at least one final four game. That is one solid measure of a great coach.

Yes, cite the one huge outlier over the last decade-plus and hold it up as a reasonable expectation.

Simply brilliant.

What if Iowa State had said, "well Fred is a great guy and all, but since he has no D1 coaching experience I think we will go with that Monson guy from Long Beach State." I see your point.
There is a very good chance that that Long Beach State guy would do a better job than Hoiberg.

I don't know whether Hoiberg will be any good, but it will be interesting to watch. He was wise in bringing in Bobby Lutz -- the former Charlotte coach -- to be his right-hand man. That guy knows his way around the college game and is a very solid coach. To me, that shows that Fred knows he isn't the smartest guy in the room.

While Fred is loved in Ames, I just hope this doesn't turn into a Clyde Drexler situation. That was a mistake that was absolutely brutal.

Also, Fred's job has gotten tougher since taking the job. The departures of Nebraska and Colorado means that Iowa State might be the worst job in that conference. That's some uphill sledding.

No Confidence

There is a very good chance that that Long Beach State guy would do a better job than Hoiberg.

No confidence in Freddy, Moonlight? Care to elaborate? I have no clue about the guy as a potential coach, but to boldy give our man at Long Beach a better shot at success than him is saying something beyond that he just doesn't have experience. Do you know something we don't?

'

I didn't mean it as a slight to Dan Monson, I highlighted it because understood what "sher" was getting at. (Right after I posted, I seen it looked like that.) He's basically saying don't just discount someone prematurely.

I don't mean for this to sound critical of other people who have posted their thoughts on this issue but I don't see much value in coming up with a list of "expectations" for the program.

Seasons can be good, or bad, or a mixture of the two. The way you win or the way you lose sometimes influence how the season is perceived. If you have to overcome major obstacles along the way, somewhat less objective success can still be very satisfying.

Basically, when it comes to a good season, I feel like we "know it when we see it" and that's more important than a list of how frequently we expect 20 win seasons and certain levels of tournament success.

My expectations for 2010 - 2011 = 23 win season, 2nd round of NCAA's without Trevor M. With Trevor M first or second in the Big Ten, 2 to 4 seed in NCAA's then 3rd round of NCAA's.

I agree that we have now shown that we will pay a great coach very competitive money so my expectations grow every year. It takes chemistry and one or two super stars to produce a championship calibre team. I am going to be 62 in a few weeks. I have been yelling my lungs out since 1969. I want a championship team and my expectations are nothing less then that.

Final 4

Over a 10 year period--especially for a coach like Tubby--a final 4 isn't asking too much for a school of our size and stature. Anything short of that would be a disappointment to me.

Originally Posted by macgopher View Post

Yes, cite the one huge outlier over the last decade-plus and hold it up as a reasonable expectation. dpodoll68

Well 15 years, my mistake, not a decade for Izzo. I guess using California math 15 years is a decade. Oh, and by the way 15 years is like 40 or more kids he recruited were given something very unique and special. And your comment sounds like, we give up when Mich State is involved.

By the way I am not an Izzo fan, and like Tubby, just expect more from him. Your Izzo comment reminds me of politician JFK, (dating myself-and actually I am of republican persuasion) when asked in 1960 if he would stand down his campaign, and join as vice president A. Stevenson's ticket, Kennedy replied "No, once you start accepting second best, you tend to do that for the rest of your life."

For Saul Smith to be the next Gopher coach, we'd have to see a minimum of multiple Big Ten titles and a final four before Tubby decides to ride off in to the sunset.

Well 15 years, my mistake, not a decade for Izzo. I guess using California math 15 years is a decade. Oh, and by the way 15 years is like 40 or more kids he recruited were given something very unique and special. And your comment sounds like, we give up when Mich State is involved.

By the way I am not an Izzo fan, and like Tubby, just expect more from him. Your Izzo comment reminds me of politician JFK, (dating myself-and actually I am of republican persuasion) when asked in 1960 if he would stand down his campaign, and join as vice president A. Stevenson's ticket, Kennedy replied "No, once you start accepting second best, you tend to do that for the rest of your life."

Ahem.

over the last decade-plus

Does your "California math" (whatever that is) know what the word "plus" means? Let me give you a hint - it means "slightly more than". As in 15 years is a decade-plus.

Also, I'm not saying that we're conceding anything to Michigan St. I'm saying that it's unreasonable for us to achieve that standard. They will finish ahead of us more often than not, as long as Izzo is there. Period. You'll be a lot happier if you come to terms with that. They happened to hire one of the best, most consistent college basketball coaches of all time. If you think it's reasonable for guys like that to just pop up out of nowhere, go ahead and think that, but it's not realistic.

P.S. Your Kennedy analogy is terrible. Michigan St. is Kennedy. We're Adlai Stevenson.

I have always thought my expectations for the Gophers were higher than most, but it seems the people on this board are ready to write off the program over losing a good (but not great) high school player from Wisconsin. I thought it would be fun for everybody to list what they think are reasonable expecations for this team over a 10 year period of time.

-20 win season every year
-9 tournament appearances
-3 trips to the sweet 16
-1 Final Four
-1 Big Ten regular season title
-1 Big Ten tournament title
-3 Top 3 finishes in the Big Ten
-2 or 3 Big ten title game appearances
-Winning record against BCS non-conf opponents

Are these too high? Too low?

I think most are reasonable. 20 wins every year 95% likely. 9 tourney appearances, maybe 90% chance, injuries? 3 trips to sweet 16, 60%. Final Four 30%, big ten regular title 90%. Tourney title 90%, 3 top 3 finishes 80%, winning record against bcs non-conf 90%. The final four is the toughest one, it takes a little luck, a good draw, a committed and talented team.

He lost me with that last post as well. Not sure why the decade-plus was hard for him to understand.

Ahem.

Does your "California math" (whatever that is) know what the word "plus" means? Let me give you a hint - it means "slightly more than". As in 15 years is a decade-plus.

Also, I'm not saying that we're conceding anything to Michigan St. I'm saying that it's unreasonable for us to achieve that standard. They will finish ahead of us more often than not, as long as Izzo is there. Period. You'll be a lot happier if you come to terms with that. They happened to hire one of the best, most consistent college basketball coaches of all time. If you think it's reasonable for guys like that to just pop up out of nowhere, go ahead and think that, but it's not realistic.

P.S. Your Kennedy analogy is terrible. Michigan St. is Kennedy. We're Adlai Stevenson.

Top Bottom