What are we freaking out about here?

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
Are we all expecting a Rose Bowl or BCS birth or something? We've been competitive in every game besides the road trip to Ohio State during what could be said to be the toughest schedule in the history of Gopher football. We have a beautiful new stadium that will do nothing but positive things for this team. We are finally on an even playing field with the rest of the Big Ten. Sure it would be nice to be 7-2 and heading to a nice bowl, but to me this season is exactly what I was expecting.

Look at other coaches in their 3rd year, guys with a much higher profile (and salary) than Brew...
Tom O'Brien NC State 5-7, 6-7, 4-5
Dennis Erickson ASU 10-3, 5-7, 4-5
Steve Kragthorpe Louisville 6-6, 5-7, 3-6
Butch Davis UNC 4-8, 8-5, 6-3 (2-3 in ACC)
Mark Dantonio MSU 7-6, 9-4, 5-5
Brew 1-11, 7-6, 5-5

Not exactly stellar!

Other coaches?
UCLA and Neuhiesel haven't come close to expectations.
Michigan and Rodriguez?
Colorado and Hawkins
Virginia and Groh
Florida St. and Bowden

The answer isn't another coach. I believe keeping our coordinators, especially Ronnie Lee and Fisch in place are crucial. We need consistency with our coaches and I believe you will continue to see improvement in year 4 and year 5.

folks are freaking out because we lose games we should not and do not have any signature wins in 3 yrs under brew

more troubling is that the team lacks consistency in both preparation and execution; nobody argues about the quality of our athletes-certainly it is higher now, but good athletes do not a team make.

Look at Navy-they beat ND at ND. How did that happen? Would any Navy player even garner the slightest recruiting consideration by ND? I do not know the answer, but would guess very little. Navy wins at ND because it is a better TEAM-both in how it prepares for its opponent and how it executes the plan. I will take a team of average 3* athletes any day who prepare and execute to the letter over 5* talent who neither prepare nor execute.

Sure it would be nice to be 7-2 and heading to a nice bowl, but to me this season is exactly what I was expecting.

You expected in year three you'd be watching the Big Ten's worst offense and the Big Ten's second-worst defense?

I mostly agree with you and I have consistently been one of the more optimistic posters on this board.

I think that for long-time fans, the "freak out" has as much to do with the 39 years that preceded Brewster as it does with the 2 3/4 years he's been here. It is the cumulative effect of dashed hopes.

For the younger/newer fans, I think it is simply a case of their expectations for immediate gratification. Their generation rarely had to wait for anything they wanted because their baby-boomer parents provided it to them with as much immediacy as was possible.

just my opinion.

People want something to be hyped about because it's been so long, and they got caught up in the Brew hype when he first walked in the door, and then they got a dose of reality when he proceeded to drop a 1-11 on them. Ever since that, he's been on a lot of people's bad side. He will have to do some really special things to get people off his back after that one. It doesn't matter if he is operating at a level that is on par for the course at Minnesota (unfortunately), he sold them a bag of Rose Bowl goods and couldn't back it up immediately, so there is a bitterness there. If he had walked in, without the fanfare and pumping up stuff, and basically acted more "Minnesotan", he wouldn't be receiving as much ridicule as he has. People would still be upset about the offense being off, and the defense messing up on 3rd downs and stuff like that, but I don't think it'd be as venomous.

People just need to realize that it is hard to undo 40 years of crap in a small period of time. Glen Mason tried to initially, but it seemed like once it didn't work out in like '03, he just kinda gave up. Recruiting suffered, and we were headed back to complete mediocrity. Now Brewster's trying his hand at breaking whatever it is that has seemed to afflict the Gopher football program for the last 40 years, but he's been too boisterous about it without getting the hoped for results right away (except for in recruiting). I'm not going to be overly critical of fans who want to burn Brewster at the stake, but I think it is only fair to give him a chance to get in a groove with this thing before declaring him a failure because he can't do what no other coach has done in four decades.

1) This was a game we should've won at home against a one-win (Big Ten) team.

2) You can place place much of this loss squarely on the coaching staff. I'm not an Xs and Os guy, but this team was not prepared, and the game plan -- offensively to be sure -- was putrid.

It was frustrating to me just because we've seen it SOOOO many times before. A nice win where you think you're finally making some traction, then lay an egg the next week against an inferior opponent. As soon as you get your hopes up, they are dashed.

As Gopher fans, all we have is hope. It's just an indication that nothing is changing.

agreed GG2005.

Ditto. GG2005--nice, well thought out post. You're the kind of guy we need more of around here...the kind I'd actually enjoy watching games and talking football with. We could scream, cuss, throw things (and possibly cry), but then drown our sorrows and talk level-headedly and rationally about where this program is headed. Personally, I think we're on the right track. Better athletes, better facilities, higher expectations, and (I really do believe this) better coaching at most positions than during our previous regime. I agree with everything you said. It was especially interesting to see how other 3rd year coaches are doing...I'd love to visit some of those message boards and get the fan point of view on the direction of those programs. Most around here wouldn't care though, I'm afraid. They only know that we should be 10-0 with no penalties, turnovers, or miscues ever. Is that too much to ask?

1) This was a game we should've won at home against a one-win (Big Ten) team.

2) You can place place much of this loss squarely on the coaching staff. I'm not an Xs and Os guy, but this team was not prepared, and the game plan -- offensively to be sure -- was putrid.

It was frustrating to me just because we've seen it SOOOO many times before. A nice win where you think you're finally making some traction, then lay an egg the next week against an inferior opponent. As soon as you get your hopes up, they are dashed.

As Gopher fans, all we have is hope. It's just an indication that nothing is changing.

Couldn't agree more. After MSU, I thought for sure we'd win this game and undo our legacy of crapping out against weaker teams after a big win. I was wrong.

I'm mostly just sad. You can say what you will about the being a difficult schedule and how we all predicted 6-6 at the end of the year. Plain and simple, we should have won this game. It's just more of the same. I guess my hope is just about gone for this year. Maybe a few day's of perspective and a nice win over SDSU will change my tone. Tough to fight through the glumness I feel for the program right now.

I agree that we are on the right track and that like it or not Brew needs 4-5 yrs. I like the fact that he is redshirting many of the kids and not throwing them to the wolves now. Let them mature and grow like most developed pgms. There is also something to the idea of learning to win, and thinkiing you will win every game. Our kids are not there yet. If you put the young kids in and they keep losing, they will adapt that losing attitude. The minute things go bad, its all over attitude perpetuates. If these young kids get brought along correctly, as they are, they will have a better attitude when they are thrown in. I think the future is bright if he can keep the recruiting up. You can't make silk out of a pigs ear no matter how good a coach you are!

Now into his 9th season since taking the reins at OSU in 2001, Tressel has guided the Buckeyes to an overall record of 83-19, eight bowl appearances (including five BCS games), six 10-win seasons, five Big Ten titles and one national championship.

This is what i expect form a new coach in the big ten.... winning one game your first season is NOT acceptable Period! WHY DO WE SETTLE? brewster needs to go and we need to hire a coach that knows wtf he is doing.

Now into his 9th season since taking the reins at OSU in 2001, Tressel has guided the Buckeyes to an overall record of 83-19, eight bowl appearances (including five BCS games), six 10-win seasons, five Big Ten titles and one national championship.

This is what i expect form a new coach in the big ten.... winning one game your first season is NOT acceptable Period! WHY DO WE SETTLE? brewster needs to go and we need to hire a coach that knows wtf he is doing.

LMAO...are you serious? Thanks for the chuckle. Why not quote us Mack Brown's record at Texas or Urban Meyer's at Florida? I'd say those are also reasonable comparisons...

see that is our defeatist attitude here.

Why should we not expect the same from our head coach that Ohio State does?

IMO Mason was the rebuilding coach and he did a damn good job. The coach that replaced him should have came in ready to win the big ten not start from scratch. it speaks volumes that he could only pull off one win his first year.

brewster was not ready to be a head coach.

but thanks for showing that you are ok with mediocrity....

Gopher holers are manic idiots. Their opinions sway with the winds and in extreme ways. The season plays out pretty much the way all the experts predicted and we're in melt down mode. When we should be watching with an eye to the future we're crying and whining like sniveling two year olds because the future isn't here yet. Pathetic. I am no longer proud to being a member of this site. Most of you don't deserve to call yourselves Gopher fans because you wouldn't know what supporting something bigger than yourselves would even look like or feel like. It's all about you and your immature attitudes toward sports. You all may as well be Ruesse's bitches because you're all just like him and you suck.

i'll buy you a beer

Gopher holers are manic idiots. Their opinions sway with the winds and in extreme ways. The season plays out pretty much the way all the experts predicted and we're in melt down mode. When we should be watching with an eye to the future we're crying and whining like sniveling two year olds because the future isn't here yet. Pathetic. I am no longer proud to being a member of this site. Most of you don't deserve to call yourselves Gopher fans because you wouldn't know what supporting something bigger than yourselves would even look like or feel like. It's all about you and your immature attitudes toward sports. You all may as well be Ruesse's bitches because you're all just like him and you suck.

meet me at Sally's pregame and you can have 1 on me.

Wow.

That post is every bit as asinine as the one posted by the clowns who think we should have fired Brewster after year one.

The loss on Saturday was very disappointing and people are going to express their disappointment with it. You don't give up 21 points to a second-string QB and expect people to be happy with it. I've been as big of a supporter as anyone with regard to the eye on the future. This loss was akin to last year's Michigan loss. We came out flat to a bad team and lost the game as a result. I was seriously bummed after that one as well. I can accept not winning a game we're expected to lose for a few years, as long as we don't lose games we're expected to win. That was my problem last year and my problem with the loss against Illinois. We didn't lose due to a talent deficit; we lost due to preparation in the game plan and mental state.

None of which means Brewster should be fired, mind you. My last post on this thread and this post are the first where I've even hinted at disappointment with the program. It simply means I'm bummed right now and, for a few days, have taken my eyes off the hope for the future. And if you don't like that, buck up and deal with it.

What happened to the funny Schnoodler? The sarcastic Schnoodler? I liked that Schnoodler. I miss that Schnoodler.

Only Notre Dame fans can truly know what it's like to support something bigger than themselves.

Only Notre Dame fans can truly know what it's like to support something bigger than themselves.

Are we talking about Weis' ego or body mass?

Me thinks that Schnoodler just blew a gasket! I have a spare one I will lend you as I learned to stockpile them after 50 years of being a Gopher fan. Have at it!

Schnood...

You know as a veteran Holer that this bipolar board is simply a reflection of the bipolar character of the team: cycling up and down in the lower-tier throughout season after season. That's the way its been for GN for the past 40 years and it won't change overnight because Joel M has hired our Great Hope.

Please take a few mental health days...a warm bath...maybe some meditative yoga...and come back and tell us how you really feel.

i think the other issue may be due to the quick turn around tubby had with the bball team. everyone expected the same quick turn around. brew didnt help his cause by setting goals next to the stars but i would rather a new coach walks in and says things like brew rather than come in and say something like, "we dont have much talent here, minnesota is a nice place but it gets cold so dont expect much in recruiting, or i hope we can get to a bowl whether its the holiday bowl or the who gives a crap bowl!"

maybe what brew should have preached was:
1) 2007 has no depth on the roster and i had no time to recruit
2) i have high expectations and goals-just dont expect a big ten title in year 2
3) i plan on developing my recruits on the practice field as well as in the weight room rather then throwing them to the wolves right away.
4) we will beat our rivals, but wisconsin and iowa have had more stability and depth over the last 4-5 years so have patience because when we do beat them we will beat them badly
5) i will not talk negatively ever-especially when it comes to my kids after a loss

I'm not downing Weber, but Tim Brewster did not lob the out pattern to a waiting Illinois d-back for a touchdown. Nor did he take unnecessary sack at the 1 foot line.
We'd be 6-4 right now per those two plays.

In defense of Weber, Brewster didn't throw for 5 touchdowns against MSU.

Big picture people...do you realize how many D-1 teams have message boards wanting to fire their current head coach after a tough loss on Saturday? I'm really not a half empty kind of guy either.

I want to win in the worst way, but let's face it we're not there yet.

1. We don't have our best player in Decker.
2. We don't have a Big Ten running back (besides Hoese).
3. We don't have Big Ten safeties.
4. We dont' have coordinator consistency.

The things we do have:
1. A whole new gameday atmosphere.
2. Recruiting.
3. WR depth
4. OL depth
5. LB depth
6. Special Teams
7. DE

The hysteria is not warranted. I agree with GoGoper, the key is keeping Frisch and Lee. The improvement to the depth of this team is substantial and will be even better next year. As to the game against Illinois, football games are a matter of making plays. A week ago Weber and the defense made them all. This week they didn't. Last week we won and this week we lost. This year we're probably going to end up 6-6 against a much, much harder schedule. IMHO an improvement over last year's 7-5.

I'll say it again. We red shirted many of our best recruits this year and so we have 1 1/2 years quality recruiting classes on the field. Huge improvements coming. Let's be a little patient.

Let's see... Been going to Gopher basketball since Mus was coach. Was at Memorial when the Gophers beat Michigan in '77 and in the Dome when Nebraska tagged us in '83. Been going to BB and FB games religiously dating back to the 70's. The U was the only place I applied for both undergrad and grad school - proud to have graduated from both. You're right. I have no concept of supporting the U. I have no right to comment on how this program is seemingly failing to turn the corner on the field in any meaningful way under the current coach. I lack the ability to see beyond the next game because I have no perspective. I should turn in my season tixs and both diplomas.

I am truly sorry that I don't subscribe to the school of thought that "hope" is a viable strategy. Please accept my apology.

Long-time lurker here.

It bugs the hell out of me when the Gophers make bone-headed plays and lose games they shouldn't. That said, it's not like that's a new trend here in the Great White North. I grew up in the Twin Cities and didn't really get interested in Gopher Football until I started attending the U in the late 1980's.... the end of the Gutekunst era and the Wacker regime was enough to beat the enthusiasm out of any fan that couldn't remember the 1960's or earlier.

Wacker was given five years and never got better than 8th place. Brewster deserves at least that long in my opinon. He may still be learning how to be a head coach and he says some things that drives people crazy at times, but he's bringing in better raw talent than we've had in a long time. If he can coach them up (and the jury's still out on that, admittedly), then we'll be in a better place eventually. Hopefully a few more recruiting classes and some stability in the coordinator positions will allow us to figure that out.

Lets give Hoese a chance to 'pound the rock' i love the quick hitters up the gut he seems to be the only ball carrier that possesses the ability to fall forward....

Top Bottom