What are our options at QB?

What makes you think this? The only time I’ve seen them head-to-head Cole was the better QB. He had a much better throwing motion. I don’t think it’s fair to compare a dude that gets one wildcat play a game to a player who has had 1.5 years of development and if anything is getting worse each week.
I have never seen Cole perform better than AK. When did you?

Haven't you heard, he throws too hard, too soft, bad footwork, sidearm, no touch, stares down receivers, and worst of all chews on his mouthpiece. :)

Playing QB at the D1 level is so easy.....anyone can do it.....not sure why a redshirt Sophomore who has started a total of 10 games in his college career is still making mistakes and not producing at an NFL level.....just doesn't make sense.

on a serious note....I truly don't know if Athan will be the guy but people need to cut the kid some slack and give him some time to develop and figure things out.
My concern is he's going to have to figure it out on his own since there's nobody on the staff who has successfully developed a QB.

My concern is he's going to have to figure it out on his own since there's nobody on the staff who has successfully developed a QB.
That is a totally valid concern. One of the major weaknesses in Kill's staffs was some of the offensive position coaches. He had a WR coach for many years that had no clue how to coach the position.

It would be nice to have an experienced QB coach working with our young QBs but guess all we can really do is hope Harbaugh is up to the task.

I have never seen Cole perform better than AK. When did you?
The spring game. Cole's opportunities to show out are going to be very limited. You can't dismiss it...he knows he is not going to get game time without injury. He clearly performed in his only opportunity...the spring game. In North Carolina he was put into a disorganized and ill advised play calling disaster...you gotta put guys in a position to succeed. We sabotaged him.

Kramer played in two high school state championships at Minnesota's top level. AK8 played at a smaller class private school but covid wiped out much of his playing time. So, he is playing on potential...he hasn't done it. Not saying can't but he hasn't ... Kramer has led a team to the title game twice.

Last edited:

That is a totally valid concern. One of the major weaknesses in Kill's staffs was some of the offensive position coaches. He had a WR coach for many years that had no clue how to coach the position.

It would be nice to have an experienced QB coach working with our young QBs but guess all we can really do is hope Harbaugh is up to the task.
Hell kill had an OC…. Never made a change.

Last edited:

The spring game. Cole's opportunities to show out are going to be very limited. You can't dismiss it...he knows he is not going to get game time without injury. He clearly performed in his only opportunity...the spring game. In North Carolina he was put into a disorganized and ill advised play calling disaster...you gotta put guys in a position to succeed. We sabotaged him.

Kramer played in two high school state championships at Minnesota's top level. AK8 played at a smaller class private school but covid wiped out much of his playing time. So, he is playing on potential...he hasn't done it. Not saying can't but he hasn't ... Kramer has led a team to the title game twice.
Kramer was a 5'10" 160 pound sophomore, who lost to TG a school with 800 kids. They probably had older kids on the team that could have played.

Well this discussion about quarterbacks was on my mind when I had an encounter today with a cousin of Vic Viramontes. They are both from from Riverside Ca and have been close all their lives.

Vic was a truly great great high school quarterback and very good athlete, signed at Cal but left left Cal because they wanted him to change positions. He went to Riverside CC where he was outstanding dual threat quarterback. Signed with MN over a number of offers and came to MN for spring ball - but stayed behind Annexstad and Morgan so went back to Riverside and played a year there at linebacker, then played at UNLV as linebacker through 2022 with some modest success.

Well his cousin told me he did not give up his quarterback dream. Signed with a professional American football team in J1 league in Japan as a quarterback. American football is very popular there and each team can have up to 5 foreigners. He is doing very well, is quite a popular star, and is also enjoying the whole experience. Here is a little clip:

https://x.com/vicviramontes10/status/1706688700212797472?s=46&t=aIh2DUfO7KrrWh9Bbnlc-g

Not sure Kramer played much with the first team in the Spring game, and I certainly did not walk away thinking he outperformed AK. He certainly did not outperform AK in the Fall practices.

Well this discussion about quarterbacks was on my mind when I had an encounter today with a cousin of Vic Viramontes. They are both from from Riverside Ca and have been close all their lives.

Vic was a truly great great high school quarterback and very good athlete, signed at Cal but left left Cal because they wanted him to change positions. He went to Riverside CC where he was outstanding dual threat quarterback. Signed with MN over a number of offers and came to MN for spring ball - but stayed behind Annexstad and Morgan so went back to Riverside and played a year there at linebacker, then played at UNLV as linebacker through 2022 with some modest success.

Well his cousin told me he did not give up his quarterback dream. Signed with a professional American football team in J1 league in Japan as a quarterback. American football is very popular there and each team can have up to 5 foreigners. He is doing very well, is quite a popular star, and is also enjoying the whole experience. Here is a little clip:

https://x.com/vicviramontes10/status/1706688700212797472?s=46&t=aIh2DUfO7KrrWh9Bbnlc-g
I can see why we brought him in. He has an attitude/ loves to play. Skills didn’t work out but can’t fault his drive.

Kramer did outplay AK in the spring game, that’s a real small sample size though. I keep thinking they will need to hit the portal this offseason as a stop gap until Drake Lindsey is ready, but what portal QB is going to want to play in this offense?
I'd think any good QB would want to have a dominating running attack to at least keep him off his back. Throwing is much more effective when it's done when you want to -- not when you need to.

I'd think any good QB would want to have a dominating running attack to at least keep him off his back. Throwing is much more effective when it's done when you want to -- not when you need to.
I am not sure that is always true. In some cases running attack is more effective when it is done when you want to -- not when you need to. A highly effective passing game keeps the defense from focusing everything on the run. There is a mix involved for sure but in many cases a great passing game makes the running game more effective, rather than always the other way around. Unless you are talking about the service academies.

They don’t live anywhere near Minnesota. That and we don’t pay them.
Understood, well in order to compete with the rest of the P5 schools unfortunately they're going to have to find a way to pay these kid's. Too many options out there that will pay more and with better weather. Now they're leasing trucks too...SMH. The Vikings, Twins, and Wild need to step up an help with donations if the corporate companies don't. It's a lot of money in Minnesota so there's no reason why it can't happen.

Not sure Kramer played much with the first team in the Spring game, and I certainly did not walk away thinking he outperformed AK. He certainly did not outperform AK in the Fall practices.
Story/stats
"Cole Kramer looked the best among the three quarterbacks." Subheading

“Slight slant”
L
I am not sure that is always true. In some cases running attack is more effective when it is done when you want to -- not when you need to. A highly effective passing game keeps the defense from focusing everything on the run. There is a mix involved for sure but in many cases a great passing game makes the running game more effective, rather than always the other way around. Unless you are talking about the service academies.
Both are true. Balanced attack puts maximum stress on the defense and optimizes success for both run and pass attacks.

Understood, well in order to compete with the rest of the P5 schools unfortunately they're going to have to find a way to pay these kid's. Too many options out there that will pay more and with better weather. Now they're leasing trucks too...SMH. The Vikings, Twins, and Wild need to step up an help with donations if the corporate companies don't. It's a lot of money in Minnesota so there's no reason why it can't happen.
Biggest reason is wanting to play for a winner. If Drake paid more than Iowa top recruits would still be Hawkeyes.

Thanks for sharing! It's always a pleasure to see former Gophers doing well/ living out their dreams!

IMHO Once a Gopher, always a Gopher (If you must transfer, Just don't transfer to Iowa, or Wisconsin;)).

Biggest reason is wanting to play for a winner. If Drake paid more than Iowa top recruits would still be Hawkeyes.
Minnesota is a winning program and I believe will continue to win. Maybe not top 25 yet but will be consistently knocking at the door in the upcoming years in which should attract more talent. I think a huge bummer is the weather, kid's down south find it hard to deal with snow for a 6 month period.

Minnesota is a winning program and I believe will continue to win. Maybe not top 25 yet but will be consistently knocking at the door in the upcoming years in which should attract more talent. I think a huge bummer is the weather, kid's down south find it hard to deal with snow for a 6 month period.
Weather is a red herring, IMHO. The team to the east doesn't seem to have a problem recruiting players from warmer areas.

Many of Fleck’s best recruits have been from Georgia and Florida.

Weather is a red herring, IMHO. The team to the east doesn't seem to have a problem recruiting players from warmer areas.
The team to the East is also in the same boat as us in terms of not being able to attract enough high end talent to compete with the top of the conference/Nation. Location and weather are factors in that ability to get players from the South to come up here. Not the onlly factors but they do play a role.

The team to the East is also in the same boat as us in terms of not being able to attract enough high end talent to compete with the top of the conference/Nation. Location and weather are factors in that ability to get players from the South to come up here. Not the onlly factors but they do play a role.
Did you go look at their roster? From 2005 to 2019 (15 seasons) Wisc was ranked in the top-15 eight times, and top-10 five times.

Was the weather different when we dominated UW for years? How did we compete before the 60s without "players from the South." If you were competing with Minnesota for a recruit, what would you tout about Madison while dissing Mpls? Wisconsin isn't in the same boat as we are, not since the early 60s. Oh, and back to the weather, NDSU recruits pretty well despite the weather. Iowa, Wisconsin, and NDSU seem to recruit better than we can. Why, what's common at those sites that's so different from our site?

Was the weather different when we dominated UW for years? How did we compete before the 60s without "players from the South." If you were competing with Minnesota for a recruit, what would you tout about Madison while dissing Mpls? Wisconsin isn't in the same boat as we are, not since the early 60s. Oh, and back to the weather, NDSU recruits pretty well despite the weather. Iowa, Wisconsin, and NDSU seem to recruit better than we can. Why, what's common at those sites that's so different from our site?
They win.

Did you go look at their roster? From 2005 to 2019 (15 seasons) Wisc was ranked in the top-15 eight times, and top-10 five times.
4 years ago may as well be 34 with all the changes that have happened recently.

Iowa and Wisconsin recruit marginally better, they have a little more instate talent.

Top Bottom