What are our options at QB?

If they don't fix linebacker play on defense it doesn't matter how all other positions play. Our linebacker play on defense is atrocious right now and needs a fix. This is where games are breaking down. Hard to play team defense when you cannot get your linebackers to maintain gaps, or fill, or cover. There is nothing good coming from this group at all. As a position group they get a Zero. They need to find 3 that can run and take on a block. Linebacker play is non-existent. Missing Lindenberg and Lecaptain probably is year long effect.

Last edited:

I think our only real option is to ride it out with AK. He hasn't been good but he has not been put into the best position to succeed. The only way I make a move to Cole is if it starts to become apparent AK is losing all confidence.

The way that PJ and staff called the game yesterday, that isn't outside of the real of possibilities. I strongly dislike our offense. It feels like a hodge podge of different formations and play calls that don't have a lot of synchronicity. I hate our offense under center, we have about three different plays out of that set.
Honestly, we probably shouldn't be surprised that a new OC with no experience and an unproven QB are struggling. I had questions before the season about our offense but I didn't think it would be this bad.

Is AK the best choice right now?

I’m usually very hesitant to change QBs but right now I don’t see AK getting better. He is staring down his receivers, even then he is at best a second or two late to choose to throw, and he is constantly inaccurate.

I can see at the games that there are WRs open at times, ball just isn’t getting to them.

Considering our secondary I’m guessing he looks ok in practices, but in gameday… I’m not even sure he is getting anything out of being out there.

How are Cole and the other guys? That inaccurate too?
How do you think most college quarterbacks would look facing the Michigan defense with all of the physical ability, depth, numbers of constantly fresh rushers, blitzers and looks coupled with all the great cover d-backs and linebackers that the Cornblues have this season?

When a buzz saw destroys a team the way Michigan ripped the Gopher team last night all the players and coaches can do is get ready to play the next game and tune the damn fans reactions out and realize that the team lost badly to a really good team.

Life is tough sometimes. There always has been inequity of riches, wealth, status and power in college football…in all aspects of world power. College football is just a microcosm of the reality of the world we live in.

Just pick yourself up, move on to the next day and there really is no reason to ever quit. Do the best you can team Gopher! There really is no time for total defeat…ever.

Yes I was there, were you? O-line was even worse vs PSU last year. Overall this year it has been better.
Maybe you are talking about run blocking which wasn’t bad. Pass blocking ranged from atrocious to nonexistent.

AK is only realistic option we have at QB right now. He is playing shell-shocked and seeing ghost, shadows. Don't know how you calm him down and inject experience. He has wheels, why not let him use them and run?

Last edited:

zero. fleck ran off the 2 qbs in teh system last year cause im guessing never played them. just like evans he will probably leave to.
So he should’ve played four different QBs last year to keep them from leaving? He didn’t run them off.

What I’m most disappointed in is how his sidearm pass has cost us several tipped and blocked passes and the coaching staff shows no intent to work with him to fix it. That said, Michigan has a stellar defense and AK played better vs Northwestern and Louisiana, so I do think he’ll improve he did OK all things considered.

I actually think our o-line has been better in pass protection this year than last. It was pretty bad last year.

Through much of the season so far I would agree that they have been but they were horrific against Michigan.

AK is only realistic option we have at QB right now. He is playing shell-shocked and seeing ghost, shadows. Don't know how you calm him down and inject experience. He has wheels, why not let him use them and run?

I think you answered that question in your first sentence.

I have thought all along that Cole should get some playing time. He was much sharper in the Spring game than AK, hit his targets, was confident. It would be a shame to lose him to the portal.

We need to find a guy in the portal who wants playing time for exposure, AK doesn’t seem to have it above the shoulders. Maybe the freshman coming in from Arkansas may have to learn on the job. No good options at the moment

I think there is zero chance anyone other than AK plays. I think sitting AK down yesterday would’ve been good for him

I don’t think you bench him because there is someone better. I assume there isn’t.

I’m usually very hesitant to change QBs but right now I don’t see AK getting better. He is staring down his receivers, even then he is at best a second or two late to choose to throw, and he is constantly inaccurate.

I can see at the games that there are WRs open at times, ball just isn’t getting to them.

Considering our secondary I’m guessing he looks ok in practices, but in gameday… I’m not even sure he is getting anything out of being out there.

Slab did someone steal your password? I have your back all day but we all know you are as optimistic as Sid was. If you are unhappy, the world has stopped spinning.

AK is a raw talent and there's nobody on staff with successful experience to help develop him. That's on Fleck. I think he only played 7 games over his Jr/Sr seasons on HS, so his real game action has been limited.

I think our only real option is to ride it out with AK. He hasn't been good but he has not been put into the best position to succeed. The only way I make a move to Cole is if it starts to become apparent AK is losing all confidence.

The way that PJ and staff called the game yesterday, that isn't outside of the real of possibilities. I strongly dislike our offense. It feels like a hodge podge of different formations and play calls that don't have a lot of synchronicity. I hate our offense under center, we have about three different plays out of that set.
Agree. It's a basic HS offense in my opinion. No real experience coaching at OC/QB positions and it shows. Zero creativity. Had a nice pass play to Evans and never tried it again.

Maybe you are talking about run blocking which wasn’t bad. Pass blocking ranged from atrocious to nonexistent.
Aside from last night, the pass blocking has been good this year. Maybe we disagree.

He is late on throwing because he is panicking about where the pass rush is coming from
The pass protection isn't helping. Better play calling also by designing more plays to get rid of the ball sooner.

Agree on this. He always sets up to throw from the same spot. D knows where to rush to collapse the pocket. He isn't a statue so move the pocket a bit. Help out a struggling QB with better play design what happened to the quick slant passing with Bateman and TJ? Lost forever after Kirk's departure?

Aside from last night, the pass blocking has been good this year. Maybe we disagree.
I’ll give you that. While no one ahead will be nearly as good as Michigan, they will all try to bring the heat. That now looks to be a likely strategy for our opponents.

The best pass defense is always pressure on the QB.

Athan is a problem. Not sure a solution will be found in time to make a bowl game.

Options are playing for other teams because PJ was all in on AK8 and they left.

Top Bottom