What about Marvin Lewis or Rob Ryan?

Gopher Fan

Reaction score
I think my first thread touched on several guys who would be good potential hires for Minnesota. It seems like that could very well be our official list, after going for the "big fish" hire like a Mark Richt, or somebody with that type of recognition.

Just thought of these 2 NFL guys who would be a good fit in my opinion.

marvin-lewis.jpg

Marvin Lewis, Current HC of Cincinnati Bengals

Lewis has compiled a 58-58-1 record as a NFL coach in the last 8 years, but with now heightened expectations in Cincy along with an expiring contract, there is a good chance he will become available. The work hes done in Cincinnati is incredible considering the state the franchise had been in as a laughing stock for well over a decade. He has done this despite not having any role in the player personnel decisions of his team. Lewis is more of a teacher than a drill sergeant, which would help him when making the shift from the NFL to college. I'd love to see what he could do in the college game where he can assemble a team together. He is a high character guy and he would be a high profile hire for us.

8piKS.jpg

Rob Ryan, Defensive Coordinator of Cleveland Browns

This guy is definetly an interesting character. Based off of his interviews, he'd probably be a media favorite Rob Ryan is one of the few assistant coaches who has experience as a coordinator in both college and the NFL. During his tenure at Oklahoma State he put together some quality defenses, and it translated into the NFL where he coached a top ranked Raiders defense in 2006. He won 2 Super Bowls with the New England Patriots, and putting together top defenses runs in the family. (Buddy Ryan is his father). His experience as an assistant is unlike any you'll find. What type of man leaves a job at Ohio State to coach RB's at Tennessee State, a HBCU? What type of man leaves the Arizona Cardinals to coach at Hutchinson Community College? Seems like hes waiting for a college Head Coaching job, or maybe he'll take over at a HS in the middle of Alaska.

I see Rob Ryan as viable considering he has the Ryan attitude and Rolodex.

I see Rob Ryan as viable considering he has the Ryan attitude and Rolodex.

rob-ryanjpg-a151d288a35ed9d2_large.jpg

737936911_TViMS-M.jpg

I'm trying to read up more on him, but this guy definetly seems like the ideal coach we need. He just needs to make the right hire on offense because our defense wouldn't be any problem at all.

I'm trying to read up more on him, but this guy definetly seems like the ideal coach we need. He just needs to make the right hire on offense because our defense wouldn't be any problem at all.

This is why I'm glad we're using a search firm that knows more than you, me, and Maturi. I had no idea that this man existed, but after reading his wiki page I'd be totally fine with him being our coach.

This is why I'm glad we're using a search firm that knows more than you, me, and Maturi. I had no idea that this man existed, but after reading his wiki page I'd be totally fine with him being our coach.

What if they suggest re-hiring Glen Mason?:D

Tony Dungy won't approve of Rob Ryan, he comes from a family of potty mouths! That is no way to talk to the fine young men of college and professional football.

Tony Dungy won't approve of Rob Ryan, he comes from a family of potty mouths! That is no way to talk to the fine young men of college and professional football.

lol, I forgot about that! Ryan's screwed!

With Rob Ryan, we'd be the Minnesota Jets!... Rex is his brother for those who didn't know.

I'd approve of the hire though... we need help on defense more than anything. Our offense hasn't really been that bad.

The only problem is Rob would come in talking National Championship not Rose Bowl!

Didn't the old man go off and deck an assistant coach during a game when he coached the Oilers? The whole family is a couple sandwiches short of a picnic. An R-rated picnic at that. The U Admin wouldn't touch him.

As for Marvin Lewis. No thanks. Outside of Frazier, I don't really want to roll the dice on another NFL guy.

Didn't the old man go off and deck an assistant coach during a game when he coached the Oilers? The whole family is a couple sandwiches short of a picnic. An R-rated picnic at that. The U Admin wouldn't touch him.

Im pretty sure that was 20+ years ago. I didnt even remember that.;)

As for Marvin Lewis. No thanks. Outside of Frazier, I don't really want to roll the dice on another NFL guy.

Frazier is the better defensive coordinator?

Isnt he the guy that Lane Kiffin wanted to fire in Oakland, but Al Davis saved his job? Sorry, but if you need Al Davis likes you, i dont just on principle.

Im pretty sure that was 20+ years ago. I didnt even remember that.;)

Frazier is the better defensive coordinator?

Not sure I understand your question? I just think Frazier is a decent candidate because he's a younger rising star in the coaching ranks and he's been in MN now for 3 years and has some name recognition locally. Lewis will be a just-fired NFL coach who just got done presiding over the TO/Ocho led implosion that's happening in Cincy. Neither have any recent college experience which is very concerning, but I'm more willing to make an exception for Frazier.

Also, from a practical timing stand-point, I think it's realistic that the could interview/name Frazier soon, while allowing him to finish the season with the Vikes, so long as he could put together his staff and send them out recruiting. Lewis will not be officially available until he's fired which probably won't happen until January. We don't want to go through that again.

Not sure I understand your question? I just think Frazier is a decent candidate because he's a younger rising star in the coaching ranks and he's been in MN now for 3 years and has some name recognition locally. Lewis will be a just-fired NFL coach who just got done presiding over the TO/Ocho led implosion that's happening in Cincy. Neither have any recent college experience which is very concerning, but I'm more willing to make an exception for Frazier.

Also, from a practical timing stand-point, I think it's realistic that the could interview/name Frazier soon, while allowing him to finish the season with the Vikes, so long as he could put together his staff and send them out recruiting. Lewis will not be officially available until he's fired which probably won't happen until January. We don't want to go through that again.

My problem/concern with Frazier would be whether or not he jumps at this opportunity instead of waiting for other potential NFL jobs. This isn't similar to the Weis situation in which he was named in the middle of December, but finished out with the Patriots. It is no secret he is one of the most eligible assistant coaches in the NFL, and he has interviewed for 6 jobs in the last 3 years. He was a finalist for the Rams job 2 seasons ago. So in reality, we're hoping for him to want this job more than a NFL job.

Lewis wont be fired. His contract is up at the end of the season, but he would be available for us around the same time period. There isn't anything that suggests Lewis would even want to coach college football, so its not really a realistic discussion at this point. However, you give Frazier the benefit of the doubt over a NFL COTY with 8 seasons under his belt? I simply was wondering what Frazier has to his advantage over Lewis if you're comparing the two.

My problem/concern with Frazier would be whether or not he jumps at this opportunity instead of waiting for other potential NFL jobs. This isn't similar to the Weis situation in which he was named in the middle of December, but finished out with the Patriots. It is no secret he is one of the most eligible assistant coaches in the NFL, and he has interviewed for 6 jobs in the last 3 years. He was a finalist for the Rams job 2 seasons ago. So in reality, we're hoping for him to want this job more than a NFL job.

Lewis wont be fired. His contract is up at the end of the season, but he would be available for us around the same time period. There isn't anything that suggests Lewis would even want to coach college football, so its not really a realistic discussion at this point. However, you give Frazier the benefit of the doubt over a NFL COTY with 8 seasons under his belt? I simply was wondering what Frazier has to his advantage over Lewis if you're comparing the two.

Are you saying you think Frazier would take the job and then bolt immediately if offered an NFL job in January? Clearly, if he's taking the job, he needs to be all in. While he could certainly change his mind in 2-3 years, it would be unfathomable to take the job and then bolt a month later.

Whether Lewis's contract is up or he is fired is not really relevant. The point is that as a coordinator, Frazier could interview and even accept the job in November while still staying with the Vikings. Lewis cannot do either unless he is fired before the season ends (unlikely). This means for him to be a candidate we'd have to postpone the whole search until the NFL season ends, which would be a disaster. This one top of the fact that there's zero reason to think he'd even be interested, wheas Frazier already said he is.

Are you saying you think Frazier would take the job and then bolt immediately if offered an NFL job in January? Clearly, if he's taking the job, he needs to be all in. While he could certainly change his mind in 2-3 years, it would be unfathomable to take the job and then bolt a month later.

Whether Lewis's contract is up or he is fired is not really relevant. The point is that as a coordinator, Frazier could interview and even accept the job in November while still staying with the Vikings. Lewis cannot do either unless he is fired before the season ends (unlikely). This means for him to be a candidate we'd have to postpone the whole search until the NFL season ends, which would be a disaster. This one top of the fact that there's zero reason to think he'd even be interested, wheas Frazier already said he is.

I dont think I made my comment clear. Frazier very well could have NFL offers lined up along with Minnesota's offer. He could decide whether to take the Minnesota job or continue interviewing for NFL jobs. Im simply saying we could have more competition for him.

Frazier said he was interested? Thats a good sign.:)

Top Bottom