What a strange column. Reusse: How Gophers ended up playing in Phoenix just as mysterious as bowl game name itself

Well, that won't happen with the current stadium, but point taken. The bowl organizers and networks have a very thorough understanding of ticket sales models and which fan bases will travel. This is their business.

2021 Big10 Average Home Attendance:
Michigan: 108,598
Penn St: 107,371
Ohio St: 96,756
Nebraska: 86,173
Wisconsin: 73,466
Michigan St: 70,899
Iowa: 66,777
Purdue: 56,255
Minnesota: 46,995
Indiana: 46,925
Rutgers: 44,629

One of the ties between the Gophers and the GRB - aside from the UofM alums in Arizona - is Mike Nealy, a Roseville native and Gophers alum who is chief executive of both the Guaranteed Rate Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl. Randy Johnson reported this, Reusse didn't mention it.

Not surprising (to the bolded).

Well, that won't happen with the current stadium, but point taken. The bowl organizers and networks have a very thorough understanding of ticket sales models and which fan bases will travel. This is their business.

2021 Big10 Average Home Attendance:
Michigan: 108,598
Penn St: 107,371
Ohio St: 96,756
Nebraska: 86,173
Wisconsin: 73,466
Michigan St: 70,899
Iowa: 66,777
Purdue: 56,255
Minnesota: 46,995
Indiana: 46,925
Rutgers: 44,629

One of the ties between the Gophers and the GRB - aside from the UofM alums in Arizona - is Mike Nealy, a Roseville native and Gophers alum who is chief executive of both the Guaranteed Rate Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl. Randy Johnson reported this, Reusse didn't mention it.
Was surprised to see how high Purdue's attendance was. But their most expensive season ticket is $512. So under $100 per game (and it includes the "donation"). https://purduesports.com/sports/2018/7/2/football-ticket-info.aspx#seasontickets

So their best ticket is comparable to our zone 4 pricing (upper deck near the goal line/10-yard line).

Not to sidetrack the thread... but we don't want a gigantic stadium. I feel those are going obsolete. A well-designed stadium with limited availability is where it's at.

Not to sidetrack the thread... but we don't want a gigantic stadium. I feel those are going obsolete. A well-designed stadium with limited availability is where it's at.
I agree. I wouldn't either. Limiting the size creates seating demand, especially with so much pro sports competition. You don't want a half-full enormous stadium when the program isn't winning. Atmosphere counts.

The point of showing the average home attendance was in the context of the Gophers being a draw for a bowl game. The Gophers draw similar to Purdue, Indiana and Rutgers. They are not a national draw on TV or in the stands. They're a winning team in a big conference that doesn't have a national brand. Until they eclipse brands like Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn St, especially on the field, the mid-tier bowls are generally where they will end up most years. Might as well just enjoy it and stop the hand-wringing. Just the facts.

Top Bottom