What a good season will do

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Iowa just got a 4* TE to switch from Illinois and has the #1 guy from Wisconsin committed. This shows that doing more with less eventually leads to big things. Iowa loses 6 starters from a potenial BCS team and now will be bringing in a great class.

Here's hoping that the Gophers can get 1 signature season ASAP.

I think there's more factors at play than 1 good season. Iowa could have been 2-10 this year and still gotten that kind of player, their program has built up the equity.

I want to add that I think it's a bit of a myth that Ferentz doesn't recruit that well. He develops his talent, but it's not like he's taking a bunch of overweight waterboys and turning them into a top-tier team. He's always, at least to me, been a solid (though not spectacular) recruiter who gets good athletes that fit his system and then elevates their play.

More power to him to get a top-level recruit to switch and it's no surprise it's a TE. Iowa has always used the TE as a central part of its offensive scheme.

I want to add that I think it's a bit of a myth that Ferentz doesn't recruit that well. He develops his talent, but it's not like he's taking a bunch of overweight waterboys and turning them into a top-tier team. He's always, at least to me, been a solid (though not spectacular) recruiter who gets good athletes that fit his system and then elevates their play.

More power to him to get a top-level recruit to switch and it's no surprise it's a TE. Iowa has always used the TE as a central part of its offensive scheme.

Piling on to your comment. IIRC Ferentz likes to take TE types and mold them into either TE's, DE's or mostly OL. Thus creating a large talent pool for that position. Redshirting is key in such a development scheme. Brewster has a similiar take. Get the best athletes even if a bit undersized and build them up. The only notable difference is that I think coach Davis really likes mammoth linemen. My guess is that assuming Brewster can weather the storm, you'll see more athletic TE types on the rouster. That is also assuming that we can continue to develop enough depth to redshirt the majority of incoming freshman. Whether the players in question stay at or not is another issue.

I am offended by that remark ... though I also resemble it.

:)

I am offended by that remark ... though I also resemble it.

Looking at it from another perspective,

What a BAD season will do............
Illinois lost their 4 star TE kid that had committed earlier to someone who
finished better.

You can talk about potential and how great things are going to be and although
that might work for a few seasons, eventually the recruits need to start
seeing something positive or they start losing faith in your program.

Yep, you only get so long before the results need to show. The younger the observer the shorter the perspective. recruits are young. Even if Brew gets this thing rocking it probably won't happen until 2011. He'll have lost the media, a good portion of the fan base, and probably his ability to sell the program. It will be a tough recruiting year. Fortunately it won't impact the performance that year or the following year as freshmen are worthless. But it will be felt later. It's just the reality of the difficulties in building a winning program.

Top Bottom