What a bummer......

metrolax

Reaction score
Here we are....on the verge of playing in a very nice Bowl Game after an 8-4 season. We
should be enjoying the holidays as fans, getting set for some fun football. This should be a very
happy time for us Gopher fans.

Instead, just thinking about the program right now is very depressing.

Its amazing how fast things can change.

Agreed

Here we are....on the verge of playing in a very nice Bowl Game after an 8-4 season. We
should be enjoying the holidays as fans, getting set for some fun football. This should be a very

It has been the royal sh!ts trying to defend the program and why I like Gopher football so much to friends and family alike. Even a couple fellow season ticket holders that dumped from our group due to the scholarship surcharge(I enjoy the camaraderie of going to games and the atmosphere as much as I do the football).

That letter from the Cultural studies Professor was really over the top and disingenuous about the complete mission of the University. Everyone is already guilty in her eyes as well as it seems administration(yet they and their family's get to enjoy the free vacation to San Diego off the backs of the players and coaches). Stop arguing about the semantics whether it is deserved or not or the meaning of the wins and losses, your record is what it say's you are.

That and now the whole team thinks we all hate them, and all of this court of public opinion is judging them all as something I don't think they are. They will be unfairly booed at the stadium, and even the support teams will get heckling at other events.

Yes it certainly is. So depressing i've even entertained conspiracy theories as the reason. I know Lucy has to be the holder for Gopher football...:cry:

The end of 2014 looked promising.

2015 got off to its epic injury parade... not gud games .... Jerry left.... a little bounce back this year with 8 wins depending on your pov.... then the recent crap.

Boycotting the game didn't exactly rally the fans or public opinion to their side.

We have casual Friday at our work ... everyone knows I will always wear a U of M sweat shirt of some type. I just couldn't bring myself to wear the gear today.

We have casual Friday at our work ... everyone knows I will always wear a U of M sweat shirt of some type. I just couldn't bring myself to wear the gear today.

I hear ya. I considered wearing a Gopher shirt to work today but just couldn't do it...With everything that is happening around the team right now, I just can't bring myself to even wear Gopher gear right now. And I haven't noticed any around the office this week either. Pretty crappy situation.

Good thing considering it isn't Friday [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew that as soon as I sent it that it wasn't Friday. :eek: We always have casual Friday. However, this week they are having theme days each day. Today was favorite team day. I didn't see any Gopher stuff today. I have a whole closet full ... will break it out again ... just not right now.

Good thing considering it isn't Friday [emoji3]

Couldn't agree more. Truly a bummer.

Break out the Gopher gear after we beat Washington State in the bowl game and then MI State in our BIG opener basketball game. (a guy can dream, right?)

Now a resident of Colorado and was going to ask for a University of Minnesota license plate frame for Christmas... but alas it is no longer on the list. Would rather not make small talk with coworkers about sexual assault.

The couple we have had season tickets with for the past 15 years has given up on the team over this scandal. I struggled with this as well but I'm still a fan of Gopher football and plan to renew my tickets for next season. What will bring these ex-fans back? How does a football program prove that they have healed their internal disciplinary issues? The problem is that the program has put some fans in a position of distrust that may never be healed.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

All of this because of the actions of a few idiots.

Let's be honest though, this has been a terribly un-enjoyable season. How many wins had people feeling positive after?

Obviously this is a football board, but the Gopher gear should be out in full force due to an 11-1 MBB team. This whole football thing is going to work out. There was clearly an unacceptable atmosphere towards women. That will be corrected, at least for a while. Wear your gear with pride. Without the EOAA action (which doesn't look appropriate to me) there would be no controversy today.

Let's be honest though, this has been a terribly un-enjoyable season. How many wins had people feeling positive after?

My friend, who shares the season tickets was wavering on if he wanted to do tickets again, was saying what a bummer of a season it was. I had to remind him that he was 6-0 this season (he missed the Iowa game). He didn't believe me at first. Perception is everything I guess.

Toughen those spines a little, men (in most cases). This is worse than being a bandwagoneer.

All of this because of the actions of a few idiots.

I dunno. I wish it were that simple. Since the days of Malcolm Moos, this institution has lurched hard left, and it's truly no wonder the male bastion of football has suffered for it since then. PC rules the day across most college campuses now, but we were among the first "beneficiaries" and the recent incident and its fallout are just the latest "dividend". We have top-down institutional issues that, until remedied, won't allow for a big-time football program at the U of M.

WI got it right because Shalala, not exactly a Goldwater conservative herself, realized that a successful football program could finance her other priorities there. Richter got Alvarez, and they haven't looked back since. Talk about divergent paths between what are otherwise rather similar institutions.... Sadly, it now appears quite possible that the Badgers win streak vs. the Gophers will reach 20 straight games or so. Unacceptable!

It'll be a good while before I'm comfortable donning my own Gopher gear in public, sad to say.

I dunno. I wish it were that simple. Since the days of Malcolm Moos, this institution has lurched hard left, and it's truly no wonder the male bastion of football has suffered for it since then. PC rules the day across most college campuses now, but we were among the first "beneficiaries" and the recent incident and its fallout are just the latest "dividend". We have top-down institutional issues that, until remedied, won't allow for a big-time football program at the U of M.

WI got it right because Shalala, not exactly a Goldwater conservative herself, realized that a successful football program could finance her other priorities there. Richter got Alvarez, and they haven't looked back since. Talk about divergent paths between what are otherwise rather similar institutions.... Sadly, it now appears quite possible that the Badgers win streak vs. the Gophers will reach 20 straight games or so. Unacceptable!

It'll be a good while before I'm comfortable donning my own Gopher gear in public, sad to say.

What the heck are you talking about?

We've been bad at football on and off (mostly on) for ages...

You obviously don't know your Gopher football or admin history. Let me spell it out concisely:

Moos was president from around '67-'74 at the U. He once was aligned with the Ike administration, but changed his stripes bigtime once the Viet Nam war took hold in the mid-60's. We last won a Big Ten title in '67, Moos' first year here. He was a softie, a political scientist, and an appeaser of the leftists on campus. Football support at the U waned badly starting with him. The on-field product predictably followed suit, and we haven't been heard from since. MN was for decades a national powerhouse on the gridiron. He drove that into the ground.

By contrast, Donna Shalala in Madison viewed the football program as an integral part of campus life, and as a generator of revenue. She was right, history clearly shows. We at MN have yet to enjoy the kind of top-down support that they have at UW, since before the days of Mr. Moos.
"The fish rots from the head, down." And conversely....

Maybe I'm more cynical than others, but my gut tells me that a couple of big wins by the FB team and a lot of this soul-searching goes away. Beat Iowa big - beat Nebraska - and (the holy grail) - beat Wisconsin, and the screaming moralists fade into the background.

Win the B1G West division - play in the Rose Bowl - and the season-ticket holders come running back, while the big-money types start opening up their wallets to donate to the U of MN again.

Winning cures all ills. Sure, there will be a few lone voices crying about rape culture and dumb jocks, but they will be a very small minority.

This market is starved for a winner, and will embrace any team that gives them a winner. If the Gopher FB team becomes that winner, all will be forgotten.

Now, all they have to do is win. (hey, I didn't say it was going to be easy......)

It may be entirely possible that there may be a silver lining to all of the tragedy of this season.

Maybe, we can look back to this season and say this was the turning point.

Phoenix shall rise again from the ashes of despair.

Hope so, too, guys. At the very least, maybe this can have been the official, final "rock bottom" for the U and Gopher football. Onward and upward from here!

Hope so, too, guys. At the very least, maybe this can have been the official, final "rock bottom" for the U and Gopher football. Onward and upward from here!

8-4 (possibly 9-4) and three 8 win seasons in 4 years? Either you missed the bottom or the bottom is coming but this is not a bottom.

8-4 (possibly 9-4) and three 8 win seasons in 4 years? Either you missed the bottom or the bottom is coming but this is not a bottom.

Meh. I'll take 4-5 wins and no sexual assault scandal instead of 8 wins and this sh*t show any year. I started watching Gopher football in Brewster's last season. (3-9). And this year feels much worse at this point.

Meh. I'll take 4-5 wins and no sexual assault scandal instead of 8 wins and this sh*t show any year. I started watching Gopher football in Brewster's last season. (3-9). And this year feels much worse at this point.

You are too young to understand how bad the gophers have been and just how good the last 4 seasons have been. This is an isolated incident by some young guys on the team.

Top Bottom