Whaley, Weber & Gray

go4boy

Reaction score
This isn't about trying to cause a QB up roar. This is about putting your best players on the field, get the offense moving again and make the defense think about what might be coming. I would like to see these three players stay on the field for a full series with Gray in the slot. Bring him in motion behind Whaley. Give it to Whaley going up the middle on quick hit, catching the def watching Gray. Second option fake hand off to Whaley, hand off to Gray. From this he can either run or pass. Third option, fake to both Whaley & Gray and Adam looks deep as db's are looking into backfield. Worse thing is you dump it off to Gray or Whaley. It gives us two people that can run the ball on the field and two that can pass. I can come up with about 10 plays out of this formation to pass & run the ball and keep the defense thinking. I want to give the defense something to think about when they are out there. Not just stop the run on first down and go get Adam on second & third. Of coarse if Decker were healthy, there would be a few more options out of this.

not a bad idea and I think this week we could see something like this. Brew wont let go of Weber so they are going to have to keep getting creative to get the better athlete in Gray on the field.

Agreed not a horrible idea, but it seems to me like most of the delayed handoffs aren't working very well for us...maybe because we're getting too much penetration from opposing defensive lines.

I could also be wrong,..just a feeling I've gotten this year on the more gimmicky run plays.

our O line is not good enough to pound the rock the way brew wants. we all know that now.

a dynamic running qb, however, who can either keep and get separation down field (and won't go down easy) or give to a weapon like whaley in the zone read spread with nice speed, is a true threat. also, msu now knows Gray can pass as well as run. Hmm, sounds like a game plan to me

we'll see what brew does. here's hoping

our O line is not good enough to pound the rock the way brew wants. we all know that now.

a dynamic running qb, however, who can either keep and get separation down field (and won't go down easy) or give to a weapon like whaley in the zone read spread with nice speed, is a true threat. also, msu now knows Gray can pass as well as run. Hmm, sounds like a game plan to me

we'll see what brew does. here's hoping

I fully expect more zone read from Gray, he ran it fairly effectively on Sat, Whaley is proving to be a nice back for us, the ground game is key for the halloween game, if the weather report keeps, it's going to be the coldest game to date, we'll see how the teams hold up in true Minnesota cold, here's to Carufel, Davis, Stommes, and Bunders tapping into their Minnesota roots and pushing people across the frozen ground.

Brew calls Davis the best O line coach in the country. Says he's doing an outstanding job. We commit to Pound the Rock. In fact all the players wear bracelets to saying that. Yet we're what, 110th in rushing nationally. What gives?

In a preseason article Adam Weber mentioned that a tough part of the learning curve was that the QB would be directing the line with 0 assitance from the center. I think the article noted that this was unusual for college football.

Brew calls Davis the best O line coach in the country. Says he's doing an outstanding job. We commit to Pound the Rock. In fact all the players wear bracelets to saying that. Yet we're what, 110th in rushing nationally. What gives?

Brewster says a lot of things.......

This isn't about trying to cause a QB up roar. This is about putting your best players on the field, get the offense moving again and make the defense think about what might be coming. I would like to see these three players stay on the field for a full series with Gray in the slot. Bring him in motion behind Whaley. Give it to Whaley going up the middle on quick hit, catching the def watching Gray. Second option fake hand off to Whaley, hand off to Gray. From this he can either run or pass. Third option, fake to both Whaley & Gray and Adam looks deep as db's are looking into backfield. Worse thing is you dump it off to Gray or Whaley. It gives us two people that can run the ball on the field and two that can pass. I can come up with about 10 plays out of this formation to pass & run the ball and keep the defense thinking. I want to give the defense something to think about when they are out there. Not just stop the run on first down and go get Adam on second & third. Of coarse if Decker were healthy, there would be a few more options out of this.

not a good idea.... you can not risk the health of your number 2 q b you have other good receivers on this team now that Decker is out as great as he is it will probably help Webber.. because he has to develop an on field relationship with others.... also the other receivers have come to resent webber because they run their routes and do all the things down field blocking and decoying and very seldom get rewarded.

gopher pops says...."also the other receivers have come to resent webber because they run their routes and do all the things down field blocking and decoying and very seldom get rewarded."

Now where did you hear that?

I was wondering about that myself. How many times can you be wide-open and yet see virtually everything go to one player and not get frustrated. This, unfortunately for Decker, could be a blessing for Weber and the rest of the gophers, but then again maybe not. We'll just have to wait to see how it all plays out.

Go Gophers!
SK Gopher

btw, is that why our other receivers are dropping too many passes? Because they have come to resent Weber? I think not.

I don't think that is the case, they all want to win badly. I doubt it is resentment, but more like frustration, but Gopher pops has a kid on the team and may know. Even if it is the case of frustration, they need to get over it because you never know when that pass is going to arrive, they need to stay focused.

I was wondering about this as well...In many games I have watched Brandon Green closely (especially Cal and Wisky) and noticed him open OFTEN! However, going game after game and not seeing but one or two passes has got to be frustrating. By the end of the Wisky game, after one pass play where he was particulary wide open, I saw him throw up his arms and looks at the coaches as if to say, what else am I supposed to do?"

You've got to take some risks, play it too safe and it hurts your chances of getting wins. Having a QB in there who is a credible running threat opens up a lot of things. The defense can't focus solely on the running back, and on pass plays, they have to respect the run by the QB.

Maybe you could suit up Decker and use him as a decoy. The oppenent might think "We've been tricked, he's healthy!" Then someone else gets thrown a bomb. Might work for one play.

Except I would say 'best' is about current ability and not about potential ability. Talent, experience, and knowledge make up the whole player. While one may run faster and be a better athlete, the other may make the better in game decisions and have better results.

Favre throws the ball all over, even to Tahi, the fullback. We could be getting the ball into Whaley's hands through the air. I think if Gray gets about a quarter of play, we'll see something exciting. If it's one play at a time, forget it.

Brew's whole career, it seems, will be defined by Adam. If Adam turns it around, then Brew gets to stay. If Adam continues to be Adam, Brew will be coaching tight ends again.

Oh i don't think Brews tenure is ending anytime soon. I know you'd like to believe that but it's just now likely. He'll be here at least two more years, plenty of time for the Gray to shine. Everyone knows Weber is a place holder, even he knows that. Patience.

Whaley,Weber

I have heard from a reliable source that Weber will not be back next year. That will mean another change in the offensive scheme as it is a very complicated for a young QB

I have heard from a reliable source that Weber will not be back next year. That will mean another change in the offensive scheme as it is a very complicated for a young QB
I guess anything is possible but this doesn't seem probable. If Adam were going to leave, he would have taken off back in Brewster's first year when Brewster's son was the consensus candidate to start or be 2nd. A lot of people close to Adam were counseling him to go elsewhere but Weber stayed.

I think it's very unlikely Adam calls it quits after this season and with just one year of eligibility left.

countdownclub.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily be shocked. Weber probably knows he's not an NFL prospect now, so it's a matter of deciding if he wants to slog it out another year or just move on to things outside of football.

Weber has the chance to become the only 3 year captain in the history of the Minnesota Golden Gophers. What? did Todd Boeckman tell him he should call it quits? Weber will be back, hopefully by then Gray will play most of the downs and the O-line will be good enough for the Gophers to bring Weber on some drives to give the D a different look. Gray is the future, but with a half-decent O-line Weber's pretty good too.

In the spirit of good fun internet forum speculation, I'll bite on this one. I too wouldn't be terribly surprised if Weber wrapped it up. We like to think these guys are stoics that bleed icewater, but they're really young adults with emotional foibles like anyone else. I've got a sneaking suspicion that football has probably gotten a lot less fun for Weber in the past couple months. Why?

Consider:

1) By now he's concluded he has no NFL prospect (not that it was ever likely, but every kid dreams...)

2) After 2 'successful' years (for Weber personally), a brand new, untried offensive scheme is thrust on him. Frustrating.

3) Last year's team collapsed, and now it turns out this year's team hasn't noticeably improved. In fact, the O-line might have gotten worse, or at least worse relative to the new scheme referred to in 2). VERY frustrating.

4) Regardless of how well he does this year, it's doubtful he starts again next year. VERY VERY frustrating.

Throw in a tough loss to Sconi, nothing to write home about offensively against Purdue, 2 lousy offensive performances against PSU & OSU, and suddenly you're wondering how much longer you'll start THIS year. The frustration mounts, the performance suffers, you lose Decker, and voila: it ain't so great to be Adam Weber, Gopher Quarterback anymore. And unless they finish very strong (here's hoping), next year could look even less fun from Weber's point of view. I see this as a partial explanation for his dramatic regression of late.

The writing is on the wall for him. But really it's up to him to keep Gray on the sidelines. Soon Gray will have completed his understudy work and be looking to grab the spot light. If the offense is going to suck, at some point the coaches will think that it may as well suck with gray taking snaps. Once they feel he won't embarass himself they'll make the switch.

btw, is that why our other receivers are dropping too many passes? Because they have come to resent Weber? I think not.

no, they are dropping passes because they are surprised at the fact the ball is thrown to them.... after a while. the other receivers stop expecting the ball and they go through a phase of just going through the motions.... you catch the ball when you think there is a chance you are going to get the ball...

Top Bottom