Whalen needs to go, good grief!!!

Apparently the Down on Whalen crowd isn't related to Coyle.
Our men drive me crazy. I don't watch because I don't need that aggravation. Ben Johnson may be a good coach or a bad coach! I don't know until the roster becomes stable.

It's the same with Whalen. I don't understand why you suffer through a game focusing on Whalen. Simple solution don't watch.
It's nearly impossible to win with Freshman. But somehow the turnovers, fouls, and poor shooting is Whalen's fault.
Write Coyle with your message. Don't write it here, it does nothing. Or is it I need support for my claim?
Unless something changes in today's game, you'll have plenty of ammunition.
Where else are people going to discuss it? Honestly, use your argument on yourself. "Simple solution don't watch." Simple solution, don't read the comments on here.

As for the rest of your post, you can't compare a coach in year 2 with one in year 6. They have young players because nobody wants to stay here or come here. Why? Most logical places start with coaching. As for turnovers, fouls, and poor shooting not being the coaches fault. What do coaches do then? Is it exclusively coaches fault, no, but to suggest they have no input is ridiculously short sighted. PJ screams from the rooftops "the ball is the program." Every time someone fumbles or after an interception, he talks about protecting the ball. It's posted every where people can see in the practice facility. He preaches it non-stop because he believes it's that important. Do you think that doesn't have an effect on his players? That they don't pay attention just a little bit more? Exclusively on PJ, no, but he has plenty of influence. Same with Whalen. It most certainly is part of the coaches fault if she is not addressing and correcting issues as they happen.

Don't like reading this stuff, don't. It annoys you that people type it, stop responding to it. I ignore a shit ton of stuff on all of these forums, do likewise.

Have you coached new players to your program? Your stellar observations made quick work of correcting floor issues so they never were commited again.
Should that be the case, good for you! One more thing, what level was that played?

Blind optimism, interesting, I'm an optimis, but I'm not blind. I've been in many leadership roles with very good results.
So add another blind onlooker to see the futility of your ways
Have you ever made a good post?

I
Where else are people going to discuss it? Honestly, use your argument on yourself. "Simple solution don't watch." Simple solution, don't read the comments on here.

As for the rest of your post, you can't compare a coach in year 2 with one in year 6. They have young players because nobody wants to stay here or come here. Why? Most logical places start with coaching. As for turnovers, fouls, and poor shooting not being the coaches fault. What do coaches do then? Is it exclusively coaches fault, no, but to suggest they have no input is ridiculously short sighted. PJ screams from the rooftops "the ball is the program." Every time someone fumbles or after an interception, he talks about protecting the ball. It's posted every where people can see in the practice facility. He preaches it non-stop because he believes it's that important. Do you think that doesn't have an effect on his players? That they don't pay attention just a little bit more? Exclusively on PJ, no, but he has plenty of influence. Same with Whalen. It most certainly is part of the coaches fault if she is not addressing and correcting issues as they happen.

Don't like reading this stuff, don't. It annoys you that people type it, stop responding to it. I ignore a shit ton of stuff on all of these forums, do likewise.
Really don't care about your elite womens basketball mind. What's your basketball evaluation IQ?

It wasnt a comparison of Johnson and Lindsey. It's a insight as to how I cope with aggravation.
Do you know who Al Maguire was?
Check him out.
'don't watch' is how I deal with aggravation.
Apparently you're so focused on Whalen that you can't wait to dislike what occurs in the court.
There is no simple solution for you. Enjoy your aggravation.

I

Really don't care about your elite womens basketball mind. What's your basketball evaluation IQ?

It wasnt a comparison of Johnson and Lindsey. It's a insight as to how I cope with aggravation.
Do you know who Al Maguire was?
Check him out.
'don't watch' is how I deal with aggravation.
Apparently you're so focused on Whalen that you can't wait to dislike what occurs in the court.
There is no simple solution for you. Enjoy your aggravation.
By the wsy

Don't like reading this stuff, don't. It annoys you that people type it, stop responding to it. I ignore a shit ton of stuff on all of these forums, do likewise
Yes if I missed IT it would be singular
Pardon my error.
GOOD POST?

Many people on this thread believe that Whalen is a bad coach and believe that the results are her fault. After today's game, at what point do the players have ownership and responsibility for their poor play?

Year 6 bottom of the conference is tough. Have we made the tournament with Whalen? I don't know how you keep her if this is 6 years and no NCAA tournament appearances.

**EDIT-Looks like it is year 5. Either way, that's brutal.

Fantastic post…

Many people on this thread believe that Whalen is a bad coach and believe that the results are her fault. After today's game, at what point do the players have ownership and responsibility for their poor play?
Coach's job is to hold the girls accountable. If they don't listen to the coach, that's also on the coach.

Coach is also the one who assembled this roster.

Coach's job is to hold the girls accountable. If they don't listen to the coach, that's also on the coach.

Coach is also the one who assembled this roster.
Yeah, saying the coach isn't responsible for a bad team because the players are playing poorly would be like saying a coach doesn't deserve credit for assuming a winning team. Can you imagine saying "don't know why everyone is crediting the coach, the players are the ones out there making shots and playing good defense"?

Yes, the game is won and lost by players, and the players also deserve credit/blame when things go well or poorly (though I can sympathize for a player who gets put in a tough position by a coach who assembled a poor roster). But win or lose, the coach built the roster and coached it.

Our AD is incompetent as hell if he doesn’t fire Whalen after this season. That’s just a fact.

Sure glad to see that there are parents out there who work at teaching values like: "When it gets hard, quit and go try something or somewhere else. That's the key to success!".
I get what you're saying, but I managed to have success while avoiding things that were hard. I'd try something, and if I couldn't pick it up right away with little effort, I'd quit and move on. I ended up finding a major that worked for me (Computer Science) and I've done pretty well for myself. Had I stuck to the things that were challenging, who knows what I'd be doing right now, as I might still be beating my head against a wall thinking I should do the difficult stuff.

I don't completely agree with this, I think you need to weigh your needs with those commitments you have made and how your actions affect others. In general the bar here is quite low but you do need to consider how your actions affect others. None of us live in a bubble, those that act as they do set the precedent about the way they wish to be treated. True happiness is growing, learning and challenging oneself not just straight hedonism. It can be part of it, but if not, society breaks down. Don't get me wrong, Scalia and others may have more reasons than winning but going off what Scalia's father said (or Scalia in her post) it was about just wins.

What I am trying to say is, I don't think the analogy of a job works in the way it was stated here.
The analogy might not be perfect, but there are similarities. I work in software. When it comes to potentially going to another company, the last thing I would care about is how my current coworkers will fare without me. Sure, maybe not quit a month before a major project deadline, but when the seas are calm, it's everyone for themselves. I don't have the capacity to take into consideration what can happen to my coworkers.

Our AD is incompetent as hell if he doesn’t fire Whalen after this season. That’s just a fact.
With any other coach, that would definitely be the case. But since Coyle, the U and the general public still look at Whalen with nothing but nostalgia in their eyes, she'll get at least a year or two more. Not putting together a single decent team yet doesn't matter. She's Lindsay Whalen. And she's untouchable for the time being.

I trust my eyes…they play horrible defense, seem confused, and do not hustle. That is all coaching. Lindsey was a blast to watch but the coaching she’s done since she started has been lackluster to say the least. Good, local, players do not transfer if they sense good coaching. We will agree to disagree and I hope I’m wrong.
I disagree with the lack of hustle statement. I certainly Dont see that. They lead the Big10 in rebounding, as an example. Rebounding is hard and requires effort. Yes, they get confused and miss some assignments. I think a lot of freshmen tend to do that, and they start 4 of them. We will agree to disagree and I think you are wrong.

Top Bottom