Whalen needs to go, good grief!!!

Has anyone noticed that Wisconsin and Minnesota have the youngest teams in the league? Both have the same record. But once again Whalen's the problem.

Wisconsin has been traditional poopy in WBB. Player subs and rotation very confusing today. First quarter, Gophers had a lot of momentum, were on a run, and were in a good shooting rhythm and flow early. Coach does that mass sub thing after Badger timeout, and the game becomes a tight game the rest of the way with nobody really showing initiative in sub group. Sometimes you have to feel what is going on. Gophers had Badgers on ropes early, did not like that mass substitution. Turned the game, and game went to crap with turnovers. To many forced passes into Rose, Refs let the Badgers hack the hell out of her. Didn't like the play calls for Hammond in OT. Katie B heaves 3's up after turning down a couple wide open looks then flings a three without being open. Three consecutive turnovers in OT. Missed free throws. That was a really bad loss by Gophers today. Badgers are not a good team.

Last edited:

Wisconsin has been traditional poopy in WBB. Player subs and rotation very confusing today. First quarter, Gophers had a lot of momentum, were on a run, and were in a good shooting rhythm and flow early. Coach does that mass sub thing after Badger timeout, and the game becomes a tight game the rest of the way with nobody really showing initiative in sub group. Sometimes you have to feel what is going on. Gophers had Badgers on ropes early, did not like that mass substitution. Turned the game, and game went to crap with turnovers. To many forced passes into Rose, Refs let the Badgers hack the hell out of her. Didn't like the play calls for Hammond in OT. Katie B heaves 3's up after turning down a couple wide open looks then flings a three without being open. Three consecutive turnovers in OT. Missed free throws. That was a really bad loss by Gophers today. Badgers are not a good team.
Whalen was doing a lot of subbing to keep Rose from fouling out. The refs were letting the game be very physical. The way things were going, Rose would have fouled out early in the third quarter. Unfortunately, we do not have strong backups in the post or front court. And, if we don't have Rose scoring, it is difficult to guess where the scoring comes from. Today, Heyer stepped up big time. However, some other players needed to step up in the home stretch.

The early mass substitution was odd. A 12-7 Gopher lead evaporated.

I agree that Whalen needs to go but I also think social media has changed how players play. An example neither Braun nor Heyer social media rarely if any posts after game but not Battle she’s all about the accolades after yesterday loss she’s posting her making shots etc and then all her congratulations posts on breaking freshman assist record but how about perhaps a record setting season on turnovers. Makes you wonder how much these players listen to Whalen or have their own agendas?

Possibly. Look how long Pitino lasted. Ben doesn't appear to be the answer. I believe that Whalen's allegiance to her coaching staff is a big part of the issue. I expect 1 or 2 assistants to move on. Whalen's name is Woman's Basketball History. Coyle has a plan for all of our coaches. Maybe he's the problem??

Whalen is not whom you want her to be. Wins are most important to many of you. It's sad that supporting
Gopher WBB has more about the coaches than game positives and negatives. If your unhappy with Whalen, don't watch! I LOVE HOOPS and enjoy the game. My expectations are few,other than seeing the competition of our players. Many of you have played and coached. If that's the case, then you know how games can turn. This year based on our players B1G HOOPS EXPERIENCE, we are not on the winning side.

Whalen is not whom you want her to be. Wins are most important to many of you. It's sad that supporting
Gopher WBB has more about the coaches than game positives and negatives. If your unhappy with Whalen, don't watch! I LOVE HOOPS and enjoy the game. My expectations are few,other than seeing the competition of our players. Many of you have played and coached. If that's the case, then you know how games can turn. This year based on our players B1G HOOPS EXPERIENCE, we are not on the winning side.

Mara Braun at Wayzata was nearly automatic at free throws. She described how her offseason trainer, her high school coach, made her do reps and reps. She once made a very high number of shots without missing.

I look at what we've seen from Borowicz, Battle, and Braun and wonder what is going on in practice.

Oh yeah, again Whalen showing us a half court shot practice time doing that.

Last season Gophers started the season with a stunning loss to a nobody team. This year the same. It is not "the freshmen aren't good yet." It is the same thing.

Rutgers had eight players. Eight players. Rutgers with eight players took the lead away from Minnesota and won. This is not "the freshmen are not good yet." It is the same.

How many turnovers against Wisconsin?

I once read an article that no U of M students asked could name the women's basketball coach. The Whalen legend has little value to this student body. A few people like Whalen using practice time to show she can make half point shots but most people have other priorities. I do 't see the gymnastics voaching relasing Tweets of a beam move.

Anyway, I miss Braun's automatic free throw, wonder what Borowicz could be like with a different coach, and tired of Whalen's "I told them they can't do that."

How many years has she Coach been here? What is the record of success?

Hiw many players left last season?

How many top recruits coming in?

Ticket sales will collapse further.

The small group can think Whalen is exciting while little is exciting anymore.

And next season yet again losing to nobody school the team has more than enough talent to win. And yet again blown lead against a team with 8 players.

Nothing changes except the empty seats.

If Whalen comes back, fine, but if it is yet more of the same next year, then Assistant AD / General Manager Melissa Maines gets fired next year.

I want her to succeed and would be smart if she brought in someone with a proven record of producing success. Like Green of Illinois at Dayton before that.

If Maine assesses Whalen is the right choice, then Maines is fired if Whalen doesn't produce yet again next year.

What does this say about the chemistry of the Gopher women's basketball team?

Mara Braun at Wayzata was nearly automatic at free throws. She described how her offseason trainer, her high school coach, made her do reps and reps. She once made a very high number of shots without missing.

I look at what we've seen from Borowicz, Battle, and Braun and wonder what is going on in practice.

Oh yeah, again Whalen showing us a half court shot practice time doing that.

Last season Gophers started the season with a stunning loss to a nobody team. This year the same. It is not "the freshmen aren't good yet." It is the same thing.

Rutgers had eight players. Eight players. Rutgers with eight players took the lead away from Minnesota and won. This is not "the freshmen are not good yet." It is the same.

How many turnovers against Wisconsin?

I once read an article that no U of M students asked could name the women's basketball coach. The Whalen legend has little value to this student body. A few people like Whalen using practice time to show she can make half point shots but most people have other priorities. I do 't see the gymnastics voaching relasing Tweets of a beam move.

Anyway, I miss Braun's automatic free throw, wonder what Borowicz could be like with a different coach, and tired of Whalen's "I told them they can't do that."

How many years has she Coach been here? What is the record of success?

Hiw many players left last season?

How many top recruits coming in?

Ticket sales will collapse further.

The small group can think Whalen is exciting while little is exciting anymore.

And next season yet again losing to nobody school the team has more than enough talent to win. And yet again blown lead against a team with 8 players.

Nothing changes except the empty seats.
Braun was 5-5 from the 5ft line yesterday... and is at 88.7% on the season..

also BFAN.. nobody is making you be a fan.. if you don't like what you see.. pick a different team.. simple at that..

In conference play, Braun is 2nd in the league in free throw percentage at .884.

Thank you for that!

Mara Braun's free throw shooting in last three games:

Wisconsin: 5-5

Ohio State: 2-2

Illinois: 2-2

That's perfect. I should have updated my outlook on that previously not happy.

Well before I was occasionally critical but supportive of Whalen and feeling optimistic about the players coming in next season plus calling out Scalia and Powell flopping elsewhere.. I own two autographed photos and a signed mini-ball of Whalen. So after my exchange with MoGopher after the Rutgers game where I watched at Williams in disbelief followed by the growing criticism and then the Illinois #2 game my view shifted.

Whatever. It would all be much easier if Gophers won against Wisconsin at least once and against Rutgers and the Illinois game didn't have that ending. It makes it real hard to be supportive.

Win some of these games down the stretch and give some pro-Whalen support. Instead the turnovers keep coming and people are not going to want to go to Williams.

-----------------------------

It is good to have dialogue about such things for clarity -- as these topics also appear on other social media areas. It's an opportunity to clarify one way or another.

Last edited:

Not a damn thing. Only Minnesota WBB social media posts highlights of their coaches college and pro historical highlights....or some obscure WNBA player highlights that no one cares about. There are plenty of current college coaches that were stars in college and pros, but they never post about themselves or WNBA content. They post about the success of their team that they coach. Just another reason to make a change.

For the record, we saw this half-court video last year too AND THE **MANY** PLAYERS LEFT VIA TRANSFER PORTAL!

Let's ask the players who left last year what they thought of this. Yea, on the video they were laughing.

Maybe in their other time they were thinking, "I'm getting out of here, it's a joke.

Tell me why all those players left?

But in the coach shooting half-court they looked happy!

-----

Sounds like Twitter propaganda is reality now.

That replaces the many years now of no success.

For the record, we saw this half-court video last year too AND THE **MANY** PLAYERS LEFT VIA TRANSFER PORTAL!

Let's ask the players who left last year what they thought of this. Yea, on the video they were laughing.

Maybe in their other time they were thinking, "I'm getting out of here, it's a joke.

Tell me why all those players left?

But in the coach shooting half-court they looked happy!

-----

Sounds like Twitter propaganda is reality now.

That replaces the many years now of no success.
you KNOW that other schools do this stuff too right? it's not just the gophers.. Also ALL the players shoot half court shots at the END of shoot around it's just a fun way to end shoot around..

some players left because they weren't B1G talent or that they weren't going to get minutes with the incoming class we had coming last fall.

To me this is just the staff blowing off steam and trying to enjoy each other's company. Players put in a lot of practice time as does the staff. I dont question effort or hard work, pretty sure that is being done. I think Gray-Miller is a good coach because you can see the post executing what she is teaching. I cannot not tell much about others on staff at least not in game. HAVE been impressed with her energy on bench. I don't necessarily want Whalen gone, just not having this program circling Big 10 basement, and starting to be a lot more competitive and building something. Gophers have at least if not better talent then Rutgers, and Wisconsin, yet team lost to both because of so many turnovers snd unforced errors. When Amaya drives, or Katie drives where are the cutters looking for the ball? This plate in season we should be seeing more improvement, players and coaches alike.

You are delusional…stay off the hooka pipe

Braun was 5-5 from the 5ft line yesterday... and is at 88.7% on the season..

also BFAN.. nobody is making you be a fan.. if you don't like what you see.. pick a different team.. simple at that..
Exactly ! Most fans are concerned about the lack of significant improvement. My issue is some posters who don’t really care if woman’s BB is successful or not but use this forum to complain about Whalen and others. Go Gophers !

Is Whalen our Scott Frost? We keep getting excited about next year's recruits, never see any results on the court, but it is tough to make the decision to fire because of what they accomplished here as a player.
Hope not, and don’t think so, in at least Frost was an arrogant, cheating ill tempered jerk.

I agree that Whalen needs to go but I also think social media has changed how players play. An example neither Braun nor Heyer social media rarely if any posts after game but not Battle she’s all about the accolades after yesterday loss she’s posting her making shots etc and then all her congratulations posts on breaking freshman assist record but how about perhaps a record setting season on turnovers. Makes you wonder how much these players listen to Whalen or have their own agendas?
Agree, that sounds like poor focus, discipline and taking your eyes off the prize unless a player is pointing out their lapses themselves. I thought the kids these days were all about being “humble”😏

If Whalen comes back, fine, but if it is yet more of the same next year, then Assistant AD / General Manager Melissa Maines gets fired next year.

I want her to succeed and would be smart if she brought in someone with a proven record of producing success. Like Green of Illinois at Dayton before that.

If Maine assesses Whalen is the right choice, then Maines is fired if Whalen doesn't produce yet again next year.
It sounds to me like you think Maines can hire and fire Whay. Pretty sure that Whay did the promotion but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom