Whalen contract extended a year

I think it is. I'd say she needs at least 5 years. (unless of course the bottom completely falls out of her program--which I highly doubt)

I think she'll be fine if she has a better year next year. Other wise you'll be another Minnesota coach in basketball having trouble getting the good recruits.

Not sure how I feel about a coach getting an extension after failing to make the NCAAs last year and again this year (despite being expected to be solidly in the field at the start of the season).

I agree she needs more time, but I hope the U doesn't just automatically start extending her every-so-often just because she's Lindsay Whalen.

Lindsay's original contract (starting on page 250). It included an agreement to revisit the terms and provisions after the first and second year. To me, this one year extension just seems like a rollover keeping the contract at four years.

The termination fee example given in the contract is that if Lindsay was terminated midway through her third season she would be owed $165k+225k+215k=$605k. So we're not talking about a large amount of $$.

It probably helps with recruiting too in that recruits can see that the coach will be there for their 4 years.

Glad she received this extension. I'm sure she now knows better than all of us how steep the coaching learning curve is and this season has been difficult. I am a strong Whalen supporter but ultimately I want the women's program to be a consistent high performing program. Go Gophers !

Not sure how I feel about a coach getting an extension after failing to make the NCAAs last year and again this year (despite being expected to be solidly in the field at the start of the season).

I agree she needs more time, but I hope the U doesn't just automatically start extending her every-so-often just because she's Lindsay Whalen.

She got the job with no coaching experience because she’s Lindsay Whalen. Why wouldn’t they continue to extend her? There’s no money to be made from Gophers women’s sports, so they don’t really worry about results.

She got the job with no coaching experience because she’s Lindsay Whalen. Why wouldn’t they continue to extend her? There’s no money to be made from Gophers women’s sports, so they don’t really worry about results.

If they don't care about results, why did they fire Borton? Which, by the way, I'm glad they did.

If they don't care about results, why did they fire Borton? Which, by the way, I'm glad they did.

I actually thought it was bad timing to let her go. She had this nice roster built up including Zahui, Banham, and freshie Wagner. Lucky Stollings got to benefit from that roster right away.

I suppose certain alumni donors might indicate that they care how the program is doing, but business-wise, it doesn’t make much difference. Obviously, the Whalen name isn’t keeping the seats filled. People support winning. But even if they do win, a very successful women’s program like Louisville loses $3 million/yr.

I actually thought it was bad timing to let her go. She had this nice roster built up including Zahui, Banham, and freshie Wagner. Lucky Stollings got to benefit from that roster right away.

Every blind squirrell finds a nut. It was the perfect time to hire someone who could lead them to a Sweet 16 or beyond but Teague wasn't interested in trying to get a top assistant coach from a top program, or anybody else that would be a splashy hire.

I agree with the bad timing but Teague wanted her out if there no matter what kind of season she had. They were courting Stollings from the moment he took over.

Ad's want their football coach under contract for 5 years and basketball coaches at least 4 years so they can tell recruits theyll be here the whole time. Its why Fleck has gotten an extension every year. The local media missed the big story with Pitino since his contract got down to 2 years. When Whalen doesnt get extended itll be an actual story.

Last edited:

I agree with the bad timing but Teague wanted her out if there no matter what kind of season she had. They were courting Stollings from the moment he took over.
And, as we know....there was no "nation wide search" for Borton's replacement. The job was Marlene's from the day Norwood and his buddy Mike Ellis came on board. What was surprising to me was that Tubby Smith got fired first

It probably helps with recruiting too in that recruits can see that the coach will be there for their 4 years.

Agree as it helps counter some of the negative recruiting that was likely to include trying to plant doubts along those lines like "Psst, psst. Hey, her star player quit!" The one year extend was a no brainer and good move IMHO.

They don't really worry about results? Hmmm, apparently softball and volleyball didn't get the memo. Jeebus...

Top Bottom