We've stagnated. Tough conversation below

You completely whiffed on salzie's point.

The same fans who are indignant that Tanner Morgan is still leading this team will be just as peeved, just as quickly, when Kaliakmanis falls short in their eyes. And he will fall short, by their way of thinking, because that's how these folks are.

"Bench the QB, fire the coach, throw to the tight ends". The never-ending story.
I'm guessing you're an old man with a poor memory, but just to remind you, most of the fans have watched dozens of Tanner Morgan's starts going way back to 2018. He's literally lost his hair, gotten married and started a family over the past 6 years.

To be a little more direct for your benefit, most Gopher fans know what Tanner is at this point, the good and the bad. So no, Mur. People wanting to move on and give the next guy his shot is not necessarily the knee-jerk reaction fitting your smug, overly simplistic narrative. Particularly when the next guy, by most accounts is maybe the most promising option we've had at the position in awhile.

For the "Athan is too young, unprepared, dainty, etc" crowd, wasn't Tanner a redshirt freshman when he started? That worked out pretty well for him, even though he took some lumps in the early going. Have you seen anything specifically that tells you that Kaliakmanis is not as capable as Morgan of being a game manager for a RUTM offense?

I'm guessing you're an old man with a poor memory, but just to remind you, most of the fans have watched dozens of Tanner Morgan's starts going way back to 2018. He's literally lost his hair, gotten married and started a family over the past 6 years.

To be a little more direct for your benefit, most Gopher fans know what Tanner is at this point, the good and the bad. So no, Mur. People wanting to move on and give the next guy his shot is not necessarily the knee-jerk reaction fitting your smug, overly simplistic narrative. Particularly when the next guy, by most accounts is maybe the most promising option we've had at the position in awhile.

For the "Athan is too young, unprepared, dainty, etc" crowd, wasn't Tanner a redshirt freshman when he started? That worked out pretty well for him, even though he took some lumps in the early going. Have you seen anything specifically that tells you that Kaliakmanis is not as capable as Morgan of being a game manager for a RUTM offense?

Wow. You are fired up, young fella!

Would you say Tanner Morgan has had a successful career as Gopher QB? I'm genuinely curious.

Do you see a possible 9-3 record, a bowl bid to a great destination, and a chance to beat both of our biggest rivals in the same season as worthy goals to strive for?

Do you see a possible 9-3 record, a bowl bid to a great destination, and a chance to beat both of our biggest rivals in the same season as worthy goals to strive for?
Yes.

Is is it reasonable for a Gopher fan to think that Kaliakmanis gives the team an equal or improved chance of achieving those goals?

My question was not who do you think is a better option, but is it a reasonable enough possibility that it doesn't warrant your typical snide dismissive comments on "fans"?

Did what we could do in 2018.

Then fire in 2019. Fans were talking about him leaving for the NFL early.

Then covid and Mr Morgan's untimely passing (EDIT: sorry no, this was 2021) and Mike Sanford all struck together. 2020 not so good.

Last year year a bit better. This year closer to 2019 still, but some of that (like our offensive stats in general) still being skewed by the first four games.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Passing
*2018MinnesotaBig TenFRQB98915258.614019.28.696147.6
*2019MinnesotaBig TenSOQB1321031866.0325310.211.1307178.7
2020MinnesotaBig TenJRQB710618357.913747.57.075128.2
*2021MinnesotaBig TenSRQB1314925059.620448.27.4109134.3
2022MinnesotaBig TenSRQB79714566.912868.98.375150.4
CareerMinnesota651104862.193588.98.86332150.9

Yes.

Is is it reasonable for a Gopher fan to think that Kaliakmanis gives the team an equal or improved chance of achieving those goals?

My question was not who do you think is a better option, but is it a reasonable enough possibility that it doesn't warrant your typical snide dismissive comments on "fans"?

Sorry, but no it isn't. 'Bench the QB' is a tired old song, not just here at Minnesota.

And Tanner Morgan deserves better.

..." smug, overly simplistic narrative" ... Bingo. On target phrase of the month.

You completely whiffed on salzie's point.

The same fans who are indignant that Tanner Morgan is still leading this team will be just as peeved, just as quickly, when Kaliakmanis falls short in their eyes. And he will fall short, by their way of thinking, because that's how these folks are.

"Bench the QB, fire the coach, throw to the tight ends". The never-ending story.
I understood Salzie's point and you're wrong for the reasons I pointed out. We have had a poor passing for THREE seasons.

His implication, and your implication, is that people are frivolous in hoping for a QB change. LOL. That's asinine because it's been three years.

So I didn't miss the point you're just too stupid to keep up.

If you think benching Morgan solves our passing woes.......
Oh I don't know if it does, but that wasn't your point.

Your point was that people will immediately be calling for Knuth if our passing game stinks. That's a terrible take. We've had the same QB for 5 years and the last three we haven't had a good passing game. It's not unrealistic or frivolous for people to think a change might be in order.

Does benching Morgan solve our passing woes? I have no idea. I think some of it is play calling, I think when you don't have great WR and you're too predictable on offense, it gets really tough to throw. I didn't really want to get into that because any critique of play calling sends Murray into a temper tantrum and he's too old for that.

But yeah, I don't know if replacing Morgan solves our issues. I do know we don't have much to lose because it's pretty inept now.

This is Athans team next year, I hope we can find him a receiver that can stretch the field. Maybe Hoskins from MN is that guy or PJ finds one in the portal. That being said I’m OK with Tanner finishing out the season
We are going to have to threaten deep regardless. I would honestly be happy to see 2-3 more passed down field even if they are incomplete passes.

Your point was that people will immediately be calling for Knuth if our passing game stinks. That's a terrible take. We've had the same QB for 5 years and the last three we haven't had a good passing game. It's not unrealistic or frivolous for people to think a change might be in order.

Does benching Morgan solve our passing woes? I have no idea. I think some of it is play calling, I think when you don't have great WR and you're too predictable on offense, it gets really tough to throw. I didn't really want to get into that because any critique of play calling sends Murray into a temper tantrum and he's too old for that.

But yeah, I don't know if replacing Morgan solves our issues. I do know we don't have much to lose because it's pretty inept now.
It's pretty clear you didn't get my point based on this

I understood Salzie's point and you're wrong for the reasons I pointed out. We have had a poor passing for THREE seasons.

His implication, and your implication, is that people are frivolous in hoping for a QB change. LOL. That's asinine because it's been three years.

So I didn't miss the point you're just too stupid to keep up.
No you didn't understand my point.

And I'm less than thrilled with our offense and passing attack. Thought we'd win west, certainly fair to criticize PJ.

I wish fix was as easy as you suggest

Yes, and I'm not convinced Morgan would be any kind of decider in the outcomes on any of the remaining games or those goals. Clearly you do.

Giving the new guy a shot is fine with me. However, as we saw against PSU my concern is that change makes PJ even more conservative than he has been. He is simply very, very risk-averse. If I thought there was any chance PJ would give Athan a chance to throw the ball early in the game, such as he did Tanner against MSU, I would be all for it. Let's see what happens. I just don't see that happening.

So, what to do? I have no idea. If the conservative nature is going to stick, at least Athan give us more mobility within that structure PJ is willing to go with. So there is that.

Whatever PJ does, they need to have a more balanced attack by the final two games. We won't move the ball on the ground against Iowa with any consistency.

Giving the new guy a shot is fine with me. However, as we saw against PSU my concern is that change makes PJ even more conservative than he has been. He is simply very, very risk-averse. If I thought there was any chance PJ would give Athan a chance to throw the ball early in the game, such as he did Tanner against MSU, I would be all for it. Let's see what happens. I just don't see that happening.

So, what to do? I have no idea. If the conservative nature is going to stick, at least Athan give us more mobility within that structure PJ is willing to go with. So there is that.

Whatever PJ does, they need to have a more balanced attack by the final two games. We won't move the ball on the ground against Iowa with any consistency.
I agree with you. If we continue to call the offense like we are, I don't think it makes Tanner's job very easy. I like Tanner, but making him make most of his throws on third and long is a recipe for disaster. I think the same with Athan right now.

So while I don't think Athan gives us a significantly better chance of winning, I don't think it reduces our chance of winning either.

I agree with you. If we continue to call the offense like we are, I don't think it makes Tanner's job very easy. I like Tanner, but making him make most of his throws on third and long is a recipe for disaster. I think the same with Athan right now.

So while I don't think Athan gives us a significantly better chance of winning, I don't think it reduces our chance of winning either.
Bolded is 100% correct.

Everyone in the stadium knows we're throwing the ball. That means DL pin their ears back, and Tanner has limited mobility = huge QB pressure which results in incompletions at best, or worse yet picks and sacks.

And if they can get that kind of pressure with just rushing DL, then screens have less of a chance to work as they can just spy our RB and never have to worry about our QB taking off with it.

Top Bottom