Western Michigan: Pregame Thread

CBS Game Preview

The game comes down to: Can Minnesota stop the pass? The Gophers struggled at times against New Hampshire when the Wildcats stretched the field. New Hampshire finished with 163 yards passing and an interception, but the Broncos passing game that should be more potent. Minnesota's result greatly depends on the play of its emerging secondary.

Prediction: Minnesota 34, Western Michigan 24

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-western-michigan-at-minnesota-golden-gophers

per Shooter:

Redshirt junior defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman is playing his third position with the Gophers. He came to Minnesota as a tight end, then was moved to defensive end.

"Tight end converted to D-end was kind of tough, but D-tackle is pretty similar to D-end, but it's more physical," the 6-foot-6, 305-pounder said. "But I feel I'm at the best position now."

Hageman, who was a basketball star at Minneapolis Washburn, said basketball is his first love.

"But I got too big, so I had to play football," he said.

Hageman used to feature windmill dunks in basketball in high school, when he weighed 250.

"I can't get up anymore," he said, "but I can still dunk. But coach Kill won't let us play basketball during the season."

Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith chatted with Hageman about playing basketball as a freshman.

"I wanted to, but I was just overwhelmed with football," he said. "This isn't like high school where you just have a football season and you're done. This is a full-time job with an offseason to prepare for football. I'm focusing on one thing right now."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21516135/shooter-now-vikings-blair-walsh-kicked-68-yard

Go Gophers!!

BTN weighs in: http://btn.com/2012/09/11/week-3-we-predict-all-12-big-ten-games/

Western Michigan (1-1) vs. Minnesota (2-0) – noon ET, BTN/BTN2Go
Tom’s pick: Minnesota, 30-20. The confident Gophers should be able to run with aplomb, while the improved defense will keep big plays to a minimum vs. underrated Bronco QB Alex Carder.
Brent’s pick: Minnesota, 33-21 – John “Red Zone” Rabe, as BTN commentator Matt Devlin nicknamed him, catches a couple more touchdown passes.

ESPN: Stock Up/Stock Down:

Stock Up:
Minnesota's running game: The Gophers currently rank fourth in the Big Ten at 224.5 rushing yards per game, a marked improvement over last season's 160 yards per game. It hasn't just been quarterback MarQueis Gray, either, as sophomore Donnell Kirkwood has rushed for at least 70 yards in the first two games. Head coach Jerry Kill says better play out of the receivers is opening some things up for the running game. Minnesota must prove it against better defenses than UNLV and New Hampshire, but is off to a good start in building a more complete offense.

Stock Down:
Wisconsin's running game: You knew the Badgers' offensive output was atrocious, which led to offensive line coach Mike Markuson being dumped this week. Wisconsin has only 203 rushing yards as a team after two games, an average of 101.5 yards per game. To put that in perspective, Montee Ball alone only had three games all of last season when he failed to gain at least 115 yards, and he exceeded 203 yards against both Purdue (223) and Illinois (224).

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/58288/big-ten-stock-report-week-3-3

Go Gophers!!

On offense, this game will come down to the matchup of Zach Mottla vs. Western Michigan's Defensive tackle. If Zach can handle him one on one, it will allow both guards to either pull, double to the outside, or block on the second level. If Mottla cannot it will require a guard's help, and the running game will be a little more difficult. This is a big game for Zach. Beat WMU!!!

http://btn.com/2012/09/12/big-ten-mailbag-nebraska-fans-change-tune/

The Minnesota defense is fine, but how can you say that MarQueis Gray had a good game vs. New Hampshire? Yeah, he accounted for four touchdowns, but he had only 100 passing yards before being pulled in the fourth quarter. I think Gray should be put at receiver, and that Max Shortell should take over. – Brian Hiedeman

Believe me, if coordinator Matt Limegrover and head coach Jerry Kill felt Shortell gave the team a better chance to win, they would put him under center. Is Gray a polished passer who reminds me of Tom Brady? No, but Gray brings a lot of special skills to the field. He has a strong arm and improved accuracy—and a grasp of the offense. Remember, this is only his second season as quarterback. What if he had been groomed for all four seasons? Gray also is a strong, physical presence who can run the ball who just happens to rank No. 1 in the Big Ten in passing efficiency.

:rolleyes:

Good, I want to see him throw too.

It's pretty obvious that Kill/Limegrover would like to run the ball most of the time if they can. Saturday was a perfect example of an offensive gameplan they love. Run the ball, pound the D, and hit very accurate/timely passes for TD's.

If we can run Kirkwood for 4 a pop on any given day, we should be able to win on O almost regardless of opponent. It just sets up too much for most defenses to account for.

On offense, this game will come down to the matchup of Zach Mottla vs. Western Michigan's Defensive tackle. If Zach can handle him one on one, it will allow both guards to either pull, double to the outside, or block on the second level. If Mottla cannot it will require a guard's help, and the running game will be a little more difficult. This is a big game for Zach. Beat WMU!!!

Great post Husker! Being a "Line Guy", I enjoy watching the match-ups. This is one match-up I'll be sure to watch.

It's pretty obvious that Kill/Limegrover would like to run the ball most of the time if they can. Saturday was a perfect example of an offensive gameplan they love. Run the ball, pound the D, and hit very accurate/timely passes for TD's.

If we can run Kirkwood for 4 a pop on any given day, we should be able to win on O almost regardless of opponent. It just sets up too much for most defenses to account for.

Kill's words were 'we want to run the ball and mix in some play-actions passes'.

Thus far, the Gophers are not a good team. We have to play much better this Saturday and continue to improve in order to get the important W. I have not been impressed with the OL and the running game. I think the longest run by a RB was 8 yards against UNH. We need to be better in both and be able to control the ball.

Thus far, the Gophers are not a good team. We have to play much better this Saturday and continue to improve in order to get the important W. I have not been impressed with the OL and the running game. I think the longest run by a RB was 8 yards against UNH. We need to be better in both and be able to control the ball.

While I agree we shouldn't get overly confident based on the 2-0 start there is certainly reason for some optimism that things are getting better. I am really interested to see how we do these next 2 weeks, think they will give us a really good idea what to expect when the conference season gets underway. It will also give us a chance to get a better feel for how the rest of the conference is going to shake out.

Rittenberg/Bennett B1G Blog: Week 3 Predictions:

WESTERN MICHIGAN at MINNESOTA

Brian Bennett: The Gophers improve to 3-0 -- barely. Jordan Wettstein nails his second game-winner of the young season after MarQueis Gray leads the team down the field in the final two minutes. Minnesota overcomes three turnovers to escape at home. ... Minnesota 27, Western Michigan 24

Adam Rittenberg: Broncos quarterback Alex Carder provides the first real test for Minnesota, which gives up two early touchdowns before settling down. It'll be a close one, but Gray and the run game does enough as Minnesota goes 3-0. ... Minnesota 30, Western Michigan 24

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/58276/predictions-big-ten-week-3

Rittenberg/Bennett B1G Blog: What to watch for: Week 3:

8. Hoosiers, Gophers face first real challenges: Indiana and Minnesota are two of the Big Ten's five undefeated teams through the first two weeks, and both squads looked impressive last week after shaky openers. Both squads also haven't played anyone, making it tough to accurately gauge their progress. Although Ball State and Western Michigan aren't powerhouses, both are legitimate FBS programs that can pull off victories Saturday. Indiana has dropped consecutive games to Ball State and turns to Cameron Coffman, who makes his first start at quarterback in place of Tre Roberson. Minnesota's defense has impressed to date, but Western Michigan quarterback Alex Carder provides a nice test.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/58125/what-to-watch-in-the-big-ten-week-3-4

I feel bad for Ross, and the Barker family. Not for uw.

On the other hand, it is a good sign that more and more of these heart conditions are being found before tragedy strikes - I think most Gopher fans now can appreciate that.

I didn't realize that former Gopher Sean McMenomy is now the HC at DeLaSalle. What is he doing letting his players go to Becky?

Great post Husker! Being a "Line Guy", I enjoy watching the match-ups. This is one match-up I'll be sure to watch.

The 3-4 places a premium on a nose tackle that cannot be moved, and at times gets pennetration. Great ones can take on the double team and not yield any ground. Mottla with the player over him, may have trouble with the shotgun snap knowing he has to be quick and powerfull off the ball. Its a test, and they may chip the nose tackle on the way to the second level. If Mottla is effective both the inside and outside zone play will be there. That in turn brings the strong safety into the box in a 3-5, and corners isolated with the free safety over the top. This is where Gray needs to see what is there. If that safety comes down, play action.

Top Bottom