Westbrook

raragophers

Reaction score
Who else is glad that Lawrence Westbrook is gone? We will not have anyone on this team who throws up contested shots on a regular basis finally.
thank god:)

Who is glad he's gone? I'm sure Bo Ryan is at the top of that list.

Go Gophers!!

I wouldn't say I'm glad. I think he won't be horribly missed, but he had some games where he absolutely put the Gophers on his back. Three things he did well were finishing in traffic, free throws, and above average 3pt shooting.

On the flip side he was a turnover machine, a below average ball handler, and a pouty teamate.

I wouldn't say I'm glad. I think he won't be horribly missed, but he had some games where he absolutely put the Gopher's on his back. Three things he did well were finishing in traffic, free throws, and above average 3pt shooting.

On the flip side he was a turnover machine, a below average ball handler, and a pouty teamate. Those things can't be underestimated. He had a nice career, but definitely wasn't the most likeable guy on the team.

+1

However, I think this season it will be Devoe Joseph doing all of that (maybe not finishing in traffic as well though) but he is definitley a better shooter than westbrook (better mid range game and ability to create his own shot) I know it was just a scrimage, but the play that really stuck out to me was Devoe hitting a fadeaway jumper from the elbow with a hand (I think Mbakwe's) about 6 inches from his face. This team will miss some things Westbrook did, but IMHO Devoe is ready to take over.

The Gophers won't miss Westbrook or his father.

Can we focus on the current team and not bash last year's players. Especially one who showed more grit than most on the team.

LW had his issues but he had more memorable moments than anyone since Grier. Without LW we most likely don't make the tournament the last 2 years. Say what you want about him but he helped the team way more than he hurt it. He was the only player who could consistently create a shot, often got us sparked to start the game, shot over 40% from 3, played tough d, and almost single handedly won a few games for us. Maybe we're a better team this year but lets stop pretending that LW was the Kris Humphries of this team

sorry if anyone took this the wrong way. I did not mean to criticize westbrook as a person, because I do not know him. All I meant to say was that, I think he took some unnecessary shots sometimes and he did not always play great team basketball.

Say what you want about LW, he wanted the ball at the end of big games usually for the last shot. Not everyone is comfortable or successful in that role. One of my concerns right now (10/28/10) is who on this roster will want to take the last shot?

LW had his issues but he was tough and aggressive and most of the time fun to watch.

Say what you want about LW, he wanted the ball at the end of big games usually for the last shot. Not everyone is comfortable or successful in that role. One of my concerns right now (10/28/10) is who on this roster will want to take the last shot?
LW had his issues but he was tough and aggressive and most of the time fun to watch.

Devoe.

LW had his issues but he had more memorable moments than anyone since Grier. Without LW we most likely don't make the tournament the last 2 years. Say what you want about him but he helped the team way more than he hurt it. He was the only player who could consistently create a shot, often got us sparked to start the game, shot over 40% from 3, played tough d, and almost single handedly won a few games for us. Maybe we're a better team this year but lets stop pretending that LW was the Kris Humphries of this team

Not to mention was almost always money from the FT line late in games.

I can't believe somebody showed "raragophers" how to find the basketball board. And here I thought this board would be a nice, civilized, rational, mature break from the football board.

Nothing is sacred anymore I guess...

sorry if anyone took this the wrong way. I did not mean to criticize westbrook as a person, because I do not know him. All I meant to say was that, I think he took some unnecessary shots sometimes and he did not always play great team basketball.

I too have bashed LW before. I agree with you, this team will be much better without him. I undersatnd that he did well in some games but in many games he could have passed the ball to others who had a better look at the basket.

If it wasn't Carter's black at the end of Wiscy game, we would have not come back from Madison with a W. I understand that WL did a lot in that game but the game changer was Paul's block. Tubby said that after the game also.

Go Gophers

I won't miss his poor decision making and his habit of getting lost on defense. I will miss his aggressive attitude, outide shooting, free throw shooting and confidence to score at the end of games. There was good and bad with Lawrence, but even with the frustration he would bring at times, I loved his aggressive attitude. Lawrence did remarkebly well considering his size. I wish him well.

Who else is glad that Lawrence Westbrook is gone? We will not have anyone on this team who throws up contested shots on a regular basis finally.
thank god

I think it is unnecessary to bash Westbrook like this. More than once he single handedly pulled us out of the fire. Yes he had an attitude but that's OK in my opinion.

I did not mean to criticize westbrook as a person...

We can say similar things about many many past Gophers but Westbrook seems to be a consistent target. I am sure you didn't mean to "criticize westbrook as a person" but if I were him and read your initial statement I would think you were.

westy

Isn't Westy the guy that put the team on his back and beat Bo in Bo's house?

I liked that guy.

I wish him well.

:clap::clap::clap:

Attitude...

If it wasn't Carter's black at the end of Wiscy game, we would have not come back from Madison with a W. I understand that WL did a lot in that game but the game changer was Paul's block. Tubby said that after the game also.

For heaven sakes... not to get overly picky or belittle Carter's block... but it is this kind of post that proves a point about how many are unwilling to give Westbrook any kind of credit.

"I understand that WL did a lot in that game but ..." always a but. but Westbrook took a bad shot, but Westbrook didn't pass to Blake, but Westbrook scowled at Iverson, Yeah Westbrook played OK in the Wiscy game but it was really Carter who won the Wiscy game.

The real issue is that Westbrook had an attitude. His attitude offended many Gopher fans. Carter does not have an attitude thus he really won the Wiscy game not Westbrook...We all know the Gophers won the Wiscy game not Westbrook and not Carter. Both played key roles. Both deserve credit. Carter shouldn't get more than Westbrook.

Ogee: "...I can't believe somebody showed "raragophers" how to find the basketball board. And here I thought this board would be a nice, civilized, rational, mature break from the football board...."

Welcome to the world of anonymity that dwells on the past and the complaints from then!!!! :)

I don't think Devoe will ever be as good as Westbrook at finishing in traffic. Westbrook was pretty incredible for his size at doing that, especially considering he wasn't that athletic.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Devoe is better at creating his own shot? Do you mean going around picks and shooting fadeaways and just shooting fadeaways with someone on him? Devoe doesn't really create his own shot other than that. I'm not trying to take away from how good he is but that's just not really part of his game, at least yet.

I think Devoe will be a better shooter this year than Westbrook was, but as of right now, Westbrook is the better shooter. Of course if Devoe plays like he did at the end of last year he'll be the better shooter. I think we'll be better off with Devoe playing this year than Westbrook, but I think this Westbrook bashing is way over the top. This must be the 30th thread that's been dedicated to bashing him.

+1

However, I think this season it will be Devoe Joseph doing all of that (maybe not finishing in traffic as well though) but he is definitley a better shooter than westbrook (better mid range game and ability to create his own shot) I know it was just a scrimage, but the play that really stuck out to me was Devoe hitting a fadeaway jumper from the elbow with a hand (I think Mbakwe's) about 6 inches from his face. This team will miss some things Westbrook did, but IMHO Devoe is ready to take over.

We needed that block, but Westbrook's scoring was bigger than a single play.

I too have bashed LW before. I agree with you, this team will be much better without him. I undersatnd that he did well in some games but in many games he could have passed the ball to others who had a better look at the basket.

Go Gophers

What a pointless thread. Seriously, why would you post this?

Bash Westy all you want, but you didn't want the ball in anyone else's hand at clutch moments in certain games. In case people forgot, he brought us to the OT and eventually the win at Kohl Center the last time we were there. Penn State too. I realize he could be a bit of a cry baby and we all wanted more out of him at times, but he really did set up some magical moments at the barn and elsewhere.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQ1BOx-OG8g?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQ1BOx-OG8g?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Does anyone know where Westbrook ended up? Is he still playing?

For heaven sakes... not to get overly picky or belittle Carter's block... but it is this kind of post that proves a point about how many are unwilling to give Westbrook any kind of credit.

"I understand that WL did a lot in that game but ..." always a but. but Westbrook took a bad shot, but Westbrook didn't pass to Blake, but Westbrook scowled at Iverson, Yeah Westbrook played OK in the Wiscy game but it was really Carter who won the Wiscy game.

The real issue is that Westbrook had an attitude. His attitude offended many Gopher fans. Carter does not have an attitude thus he really won the Wiscy game not Westbrook...We all know the Gophers won the Wiscy game not Westbrook and not Carter. Both played key roles. Both deserve credit. Carter shouldn't get more than Westbrook.

Ok, sorry, these are my last words on this subject. We as fans have a habit of evaluating a performance based on the number of points that a player makes in a given night. My negative comments about LW started after the IU game. I realized that everybody kept standing around and waited for LW to create something. If I remember correctly, he missed the wide open Devoe at the end of that game. As I mentioned, the team is better without him because I think people will be looking for each other more this year. Last year if LW had an off night, our offense was gone.

I am very thankful for what he did in Madison. I always preach against negative posts but I also don't like the players who hurt the team more than helping it.

Go Gophers

Makes me wonder what kind of a player DJ could have been if he had one half of Westbrooks desire for the ball.

Top Bottom