Westbrook and Hoff

cncmin

Reaction score
I've agreed with many of Westbrook's detractors here about his erratic play this year...sometimes great, sometimes not so good. Tonight was one of those games where with a few minutes left I said Tubby, get WESTBROOK and HOFF in there to end this game!

Westbrook showed once again why he's our go-to guy in close games. His drives at the end weren't beautiful, but they were good, and he is confident. Plus, when he goes to the line, he's money, no matter the situation. How often have you ever seen him miss 2 in a row? As much as his running shots in the last few minutes, it was his ability to go 7-for-7 from the line that won this game.

As for Hoff, he played a solid game again. Once again, a couple of times he got sucked in too far on defense, and the Gopher paid for that. But once again, he was by far the team's best passer, and he does not turn it over and he rebounds well. Do not discount his steady play, even with only 2 points, as a big reason why the Gophers didn't blow this game. Westbrook with 15 and Hoff with only 2 - these were the Gophers' players of the game.

About Hoff, his shot confidence is still not there, as evidenced by his failure to pull the trigger on a few opportunities that, when he's on fire, he takes. I'm disappointed that he's not more aggressive to both get open and to shoot, but that said it's not often he turns it over, and he creates a lot of nice baskets with really good passing.

Westbrook is GREAT in the running game. Conversely, in the half court he's not nearly as good. When he can attack before the defense is set, he's lethal. But he doesn't pass well enough to be a great player in the half court offense. Between him and DJ and Nolen, it's those 3 who tend to fail to move the ball in the half court offense that prevents the Gophers from getting more open looks. That said, Lawrence played a great game, especially at the end, and we owe BOTH of our Wisconsin victories mainly to him.

Agree with you on Hoffs play and Westrbooks ability to close out the game but I think you need to mention Colt and Ralph. These guys really outplayed Wisconsin in the post (notice: not including Landry's outside shooting). They rebounded, got great position, and played solid D. I think we wouldn't have needed the dramatics by Westbrook if we would have gone at the post with more consistency in the second half.

Agree with you on Hoffs play and Westrbooks ability to close out the game but I think you need to mention Colt and Ralph. These guys really outplayed Wisconsin in the post (notice: not including Landry's outside shooting). They rebounded, got great position, and played solid D. I think we wouldn't have needed the dramatics by Westbrook if we would have gone at the post with more consistency in the second half.

we never go to the post with consistency. Part of the reason is that Ralph and Colton don't post up well enough yet (Tollackson, conversely, did), and the other part is that we just don't pass very well, beyond Hoff.

I've noticed improvement in both bigs the last few games. I've been waiting for it to show in the box score. I think we saw a glimpse of the future tonight with those two. In the end that piece might be the true source of our half court woes, we'll have to see if they continue to make progress this next week. I'm thinking with a little confidence they might make some more strides yet this year. Tonight had to be a confidence boost.

Colt needs some more love on this board. He is a freshman and comes to play every game. He really had a nice game today. What a nice future for Sampson and Colt.

I agree Ralph and Colt had a great game.

Colt needs some more love on this board. He is a freshman and comes to play every game. He really had a nice game today. What a nice future for Sampson and Colt.

I'll 2nd that! He had a great game - we just had so many guys contributing, across the board. I remember looking at one point, and every guy we had in had at least 2, if not a handful of points. I still can't believe we swept the Badgers...this is the beginning of a new era!

Colton plays hard and I like his future. Right now he needs to score more on those easy buckets and hit more free throws. If he did, he'd get more love here. As is, the second half of this year he hasn't been much to talk about except for being fairly steady with rebounding and blocks.

I am really liking Iverson lately and see big things for him in the future. He needs to get better at catching the ball and making the easy layuos, but he is really coming on from where he was a couple weeks ago.

Top Bottom