West Virginia Starting RB opts out of bowl

What is going on at WVA? There are all those players who entered the Transfer Portal since last January.

The Gophers as a rule don't win by big margins. their ball-control style functions to keep the score down.

Now, we don't know what impact the change at OC - or interim OC - will have for this game.

But this is still Fleck's team and Fleck's philosophy.

So I think this will still be a relatively close game. I would make the Gophers a favorite, but maybe by 7-10 points tops.

The Gophers as a rule don't win by big margins. their ball-control style functions to keep the score down.

Now, we don't know what impact the change at OC - or interim OC - will have for this game.

So I think this will still be a relatively close game. I would make the Gophers a favorite, but maybe by 7-10 points tops.
Watching the 2020 Outback Bowl on BTN the other night, we often snapped the ball with 15 (!) seconds or more on the play clock. That alone will add several offensive plays vs. the Sanford 5 seconds or less rule.

According to Fleck this week, *everyone* is going to play. Including Daniel who as a potential 2nd round draft pick probably could have excused himself.......

I'm curious whether that isn't the usual personnel posturing by PJ, but I'd be kind of shocked to see Daniel play. Honestly, if Daniel, Boye and Big O all play, I'll be quite impressed with their dedication and loyalty to the program. At the same time, if any of them sit out, I can't be mad.

Gopher wins this season (margin):
Miami OH + 5
Colorado +30
Purdue +7
Nebraska +7
Maryland +18
Northwestern +27
Indiana +21
Wisconsin +10

I'm not sure what your definition of large margins is... but in 5 of our 8 wins this season we won by two scores or more. I haven't watched WVU this year so I'm not sure if they are closer to Maryland or Wisconsin in terms of talent, but I don't think it's crazy to say the Gophers win by 2 or 3 touchdowns if they play fundamental football.

Gopher wins this season (margin):
Miami OH + 5
Colorado +30
Purdue +7
Nebraska +7
Maryland +18
Northwestern +27
Indiana +21
Wisconsin +10

I'm not sure what your definition of large margins is... but in 5 of our 8 wins this season we won by two scores or more. I haven't watched WVU this year so I'm not sure if they are closer to Maryland or Wisconsin in terms of talent, but I don't think it's crazy to say the Gophers win by 2 or 3 touchdowns if they play fundamental football.
The close win thing is largely a misconception based on a few games we've had that were closer than we would prefer - Miami being the best example this year.

Is he even on the pro scouts radar? You'll see him in the portal shortly.

The gophers under fleck have many games with large margins of victory. Someone posted it recently but he has like a dozen wins again P5 teams by 3+ scores.

The gophers under fleck have many games with large margins of victory. Someone posted it recently but he has like a dozen wins again P5 teams by 3+ scores.

and the Gophers have had just as many games that could have or should have resulted in a larger margin of victory, but the Gophers somehow managed to make it a close game.

as much abuse as Gopher fans heaped on Nebraska this year, the Gophers beat Neb by 7 points.

that is what concerns me - the Gophers' tendency to take what should be a comfortable game and turn it into a close game.

just once I would like to see them boat-race one of these teams and roll up a big win.

and the Gophers have had just as many games that could have or should have resulted in a larger margin of victory, but the Gophers somehow managed to make it a close game.

as much abuse as Gopher fans heaped on Nebraska this year, the Gophers beat Neb by 7 points.

that is what concerns me - the Gophers' tendency to take what should be a comfortable game and turn it into a close game.

just once I would like to see them boat-race one of these teams and roll up a big win.
In fairness, Nebraska played almost every big ten team close. And didn't they get a garbage time touchdown to make it look closer than it really was?

They beat 4 big ten teams by 3+ scores this year. That is boat racing them.

Fleck’s bowl philosophy has always seemed contrary to the regular season. Nothing to hide, nothing to hold back. I think he will try to put UVW on their heels right away.

If I recall correctly, the Gophers were 4.5 point underdogs in that game. If so, they beat the spread by 11.5 points. I'd call that pretty impressive, myself.

I'm old enough to remember when the thought of beating Nebraska was seen as a near impossibility. Now, we do it regularly and it seems we've quickly become quite blasé about it. I know Nebraska isn't close to what they used to be, but the Gophers have improved by leaps and bounds, especially on defense. The maroon and gold have come a long way. We're getting very close to Iowa/Wisconsin levels.

I can't wait for 2022!

Last edited:

Top Bottom