West Virginia President says that the Mountaineers will play this fall

Crosby

Reaction score

Didn't see this posted anywhere and thought it was newsworthy enough for its own thread. This sounds good to me.

Sorry if I missed it someplace else.

Didn't see this posted anywhere and thought it was newsworthy enough for its own thread. This sounds good to me.

Sorry if I missed it someplace else.
1 down...129 to go...

Poorest state in the country. They'll do anything in them hills.

1 down...129 to go...

I think the others will start to fall in line pretty quickly. My guess:

1) We will have football in the fall, with some sort of attendance restrictions.
2) Most D1 schools/conferences will agree to this, even the mid majors.
3) There will be some schools, in the form of their respective Presidents, who demonstrate "virtue and moral superiority" by initially refusing to play along, at least publicly. Some guesses... Cal, UCLA, Stanford, etc.
4) After an endless few weeks of publicity for those holdout schools, they will eventually get some small meaningless concessions for the sake of student safety and welfare. This could mean small additional restrictions on attendance. It could mean that a % of revenue from football is given to COVID research. But whatever the case, they will feel morally superior to the other schools (like West Virginia) who agreed to play very early in the process.

Bottom line is that I think we'll play football, but not without some eye-roll worthy virtue signaling by several schools.

Bottom line is that I think we'll play football, but not without some eye-roll worthy virtue signaling by several schools.
This will be a big test for the A.D. and new Prez. I'm glad we have an aisle seat now...

On the other hand, maybe instead of giving out football homer hankies give fans a kit with a new gold with Goldy N95 mask, UM enblazened hand sanitizer, and a couple of maroon straws. Do this on the plazas before the gates to reduce the crowding.

Anyone from 3M on GH this morning? There's $$ to be made here...especially if production runs can be done for all programs...

Poorest state in the country. They'll do anything in them hills.
Is that actually true though? They supplied coal for many decades.

Places like Mississippi ... they literally have nothing. "Dirt poor"

I think the others will start to fall in line pretty quickly. My guess:

1) We will have football in the fall, with some sort of attendance restrictions.
2) Most D1 schools/conferences will agree to this, even the mid majors.
3) There will be some schools, in the form of their respective Presidents, who demonstrate "virtue and moral superiority" by initially refusing to play along, at least publicly. Some guesses... Cal, UCLA, Stanford, etc.
4) After an endless few weeks of publicity for those holdout schools, they will eventually get some small meaningless concessions for the sake of student safety and welfare. This could mean small additional restrictions on attendance. It could mean that a % of revenue from football is given to COVID research. But whatever the case, they will feel morally superior to the other schools (like West Virginia) who agreed to play very early in the process.

You can rag on California all you want for being one of the most socially progressive places in the world, but when it comes to business, they don't F around. Hollywood, silicon valley ... these environments don't just "happen" spontaneously. They were built through very hard work by businessmen and cooperative local governments. There are plenty of wealthy, fiscally conservative folks - when it comes to spending, business taxes, and business regulations - there.

I guarantee that the major PAC schools in California will be "open" to students this fall, to some degree, and they will have football.

I will also be shocked if the major Cal State schools aren't allowed to follow suit, and if they really aren't then I think they'll sue the system or leave it altogether.

Coal is way down and you're correct places like Mississippi have nothing. Perhaps a bottom 5. I've read (a while back in time) that West Virginia was the worst. Perhaps it fluctuates as to who is the worst.

There is a 100% chance we have college football on time this season. Will it be with fans? That is the only question. I still think it will be with fans.

According to this (https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/080116/americas-poorest-states-2016.asp) the 3 poorest in order are West Virginia, Mississippi, and Arkansas.
But according to this (https://www.businessinsider.com/per...an-household-income-2019-8#3-west-virginia-13) the 3 poorest in order are Mississippi, Louisiana, and West Virginia.

According to this (https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/080116/americas-poorest-states-2016.asp) the 3 poorest in order are West Virginia, Mississippi, and Arkansas.
But according to this (https://www.businessinsider.com/per...an-household-income-2019-8#3-west-virginia-13) the 3 poorest in order are Mississippi, Louisiana, and West Virginia.
South Carolina not in the top 3 ?? That is a craphole state. Must leach terribly off NC and GA nextdoor.

NW Arkansas is very wealthy. And Louisiana has New Orleans, which has very poor areas, but also has a lot of old money.

South Carolina not in the top 3 ?? That is a craphole state. Must leach terribly off NC and GA nextdoor.

NW Arkansas is very wealthy. And Louisiana has New Orleans, which has very poor areas, but also has a lot of old money.
I think some of those places you mention as having money it's a relatively few people with large amounts of money. If you average it out with the whole population and a large % of the population working really low paying jobs, it ends up being a very low median income.

I think some of those places you mention as having money it's a relatively few people with large amounts of money. If you average it out with the whole population and a large % of the population working really low paying jobs, it ends up being a very low median income.
Good point, you are probably correct.

You can rag on California all you want for being one of the most socially progressive places in the world, but when it comes to business, they don't F around. Hollywood, silicon valley ... these environments don't just "happen" spontaneously. They were built through very hard work by businessmen and cooperative local governments. There are plenty of wealthy, fiscally conservative folks - when it comes to spending, business taxes, and business regulations - there.

I guarantee that the major PAC schools in California will be "open" to students this fall, to some degree, and they will have football.

I will also be shocked if the major Cal State schools aren't allowed to follow suit, and if they really aren't then I think they'll sue the system or leave it altogether.

I hope you are absolutely correct.

You guarantee that they will play. I think you are right. I guarantee that there will be public grandstanding before they do.

Another interesting group for me will be the Ivy League. Football is not nearly as important there, but talk about an opportunity to grandstand and demonstrate moral superiority! I'm not sure I can guarantee this, but my guess is that there will be a big public spectacle made of the cancellation of football at the Ivies. They can sit on their billions of dollars in endowment money while looking down at West Virginia and other 'lesser institutions' for playing. I hope that I am wrong but I'd be willing to bet it plays out this way. Same way that people look down their noses at us types from the Range who think responsible mining is a good thing.

The northern third or so of South Carolina is actually pretty nice. It's historically been pretty wealthy for the south and is kind of similar to western North Carolina, northern Georgia and eastern Tennessee. It's the central and southern portions of the state that are kind of a dump although I've heard Charleston has done decently well too lately. South Carolina is definitely a tier above the really poor states like West Virginia and Mississippi.

I hope you are absolutely correct.

You guarantee that they will play. I think you are right. I guarantee that there will be public grandstanding before they do.

Another interesting group for me will be the Ivy League. Football is not nearly as important there, but talk about an opportunity to grandstand and demonstrate moral superiority! I'm not sure I can guarantee this, but my guess is that there will be a big public spectacle made of the cancellation of football at the Ivies. They can sit on their billions of dollars in endowment money while looking down at West Virginia and other 'lesser institutions' for playing. I hope that I am wrong but I'd be willing to bet it plays out this way. Same way that people look down their noses at us types from the Range who think responsible mining is a good thing.
Harvard was one of the first schools in the nation to announce that it will have students on-campus in the fall.

A lot of this, perhaps in the fine print, and which won't be as reported on (or altogether), is that all of these schools are going to have some restrictions in place. None of them will be exactly the same as fall 2019.

Wouldn't surprise me if almost every school "cancels" in-person huge lectures where hundreds of undergrads go to listen to someone talk about Bio 101 for 50 minutes.

I disagree on CA's business climate. It is the most repressive, highly taxed and highly regulated state in the nation. CA used to be the home for nearly 14 auto assembly plants. Now, except for Tesla in Fremont, they have zero auto assembly plants in CA. Same with lead battery plants and on and on. That's why so many California businesses like Toyota have relocated to other states like Texas. At 13.3% top personal state income tax they lead the nation by a good 3%. Their gasoline tax in the nation's second highest. Their debt for public employee pension and health plans is through the roof. Their more affluent residents are fleeing CA for AZ, UT, CO, TX and AZ in droves.

CA has many good things going for it, but the business climate is not one of them. On the other hand, their weather climate, ocean beaches, spectacular scenery, etc. are superb and very attractive to many.

I disagree on CA's business climate. It is the most repressive, highly taxed and highly regulated state in the nation. CA used to be the home for nearly 14 auto assembly plants. Now, except for Tesla in Fremont, they have zero auto assembly plants in CA. Same with lead battery plants and on and on. That's why so many California businesses like Toyota have relocated to other states like Texas. At 13.3% top personal state income tax they lead the nation by a good 3%. Their gasoline tax in the nation's second highest. Their debt for public employee pension and health plans is through the roof. Their more affluent residents are fleeing CA for AZ, UT, CO, TX and AZ in droves.

CA has many good things going for it, but the business climate is not one of them. On the other hand, their weather climate, ocean beaches, spectacular scenery, etc. are superb and very attractive to many.
Sorry but disagree. If that were true, there would be no Silicon Valley or Hollywood. They’d leave for the other states you describe. But that hasn’t happened. Note that income taxes and gas taxes are not (directly) taxes on business.

Top Bottom