West Virginia perspective on the match up

nsmike

Reaction score

Minnesota - Bad Matchup​

I have not done a deep dive into Minnesota but a few things stuck out to me as I reviewed them. They are a top ten rush defense, allowing only 100 yards per game (last year they allowed 200 yards per game). They are a top 10 passing yard defense allowing only 184 yards per game. That does not seem like a good matchup for the Mountaineers, especially when you start to consider that the Mountaineers may be without Leddie Brown or Dante Stills. Neither has made an announcement but tea leave reading would lead people to believe they have played their last game as a Mountaineer.

Comments are interesting. They're not too confident. They don't care for the 10:30 start. There have been a lot of Mountaineers leaving in the portal.

Comments are interesting. They're not too confident. They don't care for the 10:30 start. There have been a lot of Mountaineers leaving in the portal.
I was poking fun at the people here complaining about the time of the game, but yeah, they shouldn't put an east coast team in a game starting at 10:30 EST.

Minnesota - Bad Matchup​

I have not done a deep dive into Minnesota but a few things stuck out to me as I reviewed them. They are a top ten rush defense, allowing only 100 yards per game (last year they allowed 200 yards per game). They are a top 10 passing yard defense allowing only 184 yards per game. That does not seem like a good matchup for the Mountaineers, especially when you start to consider that the Mountaineers may be without Leddie Brown or Dante Stills. Neither has made an announcement but tea leave reading would lead people to believe they have played their last game as a Mountaineer.

The Gophers will play keep away for 40+ minutes if WVU can't stop the run. The Gophers had the highest run rate and possession time of any non-service academy in 2021. A fair amount of our defense's statistical success comes from not being on the field a whole lot.

The Gophers aren't real explosive but will slowly squeeze the life out of teams during victories with ball possession and few turnovers. As you may imagine, the team's weakness has been an inconsistent passing game and inability to catch up quickly if behind.

The Gophers will play keep away for 40+ minutes if WVU can't stop the run. The Gophers had the highest run rate and possession time of any non-service academy in 2021. A fair amount of our defense's statistical success comes from not being on the field a whole lot.

The Gophers aren't real explosive but will slowly squeeze the life out of teams during victories with ball possession and few turnovers. As you may imagine, the team's weakness has been an inconsistent passing game and inability to catch up quickly if behind.
Bowl record is like 38 minutes. Fleck will go after that record.

If they are really bad at stopping the run the gophers will quickly with long runs. TOP dominance goes down but scoring goes up. Fleck may not like it but Goldy doing push-ups sure does!

If they are really bad at stopping the run the gophers will quickly with long runs. TOP dominance goes down but scoring goes up. Fleck may not like it but Goldy doing push-ups sure does!
No doubt. Sure Fleck would be pissed if we scored a ton of points but didn’t win TOP. This board is way more obsessed with TOP than the team. The bleed the clock to 1 on every snap went away over the final 3 games when there was clearly an internal shift of some kind with the offense.

No doubt. Sure Fleck would be pissed if we scored a ton of points but didn’t win TOP. This board is way more obsessed with TOP than the team. The bleed the clock to 1 on every snap went away over the final 3 games when there was clearly an internal shift of some kind with the offense.
If that was another Sanford thing - I will say this -- I don't think I liked a single thing about his offense!!! I STILL have nightmares of Tanner Morgan frantically running around with the clock bleeding to zero trying to get the play off in time!!!

If that was another Sanford thing - I will say this -- I don't think I liked a single thing about his offense!!! I STILL have nightmares of Tanner Morgan frantically running around with the clock bleeding to zero trying to get the play off in time!!!
It has to have been a Sanford thing. We weren't doing it under KC in 2019 and we stopped doing it late in the season when something shifted behind the scenes.

We all know Fleck values TOP but you can run a ball control, heavy TOP offense without running the play clock to zero on every snap.

Apparently I need to use a sarcasm font all the time cause you took that very seriously my man.

Apparently I need to use a sarcasm font all the time cause you took that very seriously my man.
Nah I know you were just messing around but I also know there are posters in this forum that absolutely think that is the truth and that Fleck values TOP over everything else.

Nah I know you were just messing around but I also know there are posters in this forum that absolutely think that is the truth and that Fleck values TOP over everything else.
Probably true. TOP is great but I’d like some 1 play, 75 yard, 11 second drives next year.

Top Bottom