West Virginia approves alcohol sales at stadium

Now Dana Holgerson doesn't even have to leave the stadium to get his drank on!

Couch burning and furniture sales will go up 300%

popcorn-sutton_136.jpg

It's not essential to my game day experience, mind you, but I don't think it is a problem to offer adults of age a beer.

This was inevitable. And a few farsighted posters in GopherHole saw this coming. Given the future outlook for the economy it is a safe bet that within 5 years a large number of public DI football schools will be selling beer to adults at their football games and making a lot of money doing it. It will be the only financially responsible thing to do. University presidents who don't pursue every opportunity to increase their revenues will be putting their jobs at risk. And rightfully so.

It's so dicey. I don't care. I didn't but a beer more than once in the last three years at the Dump, but it was nice to have the option.

This was inevitable. And a few farsighted posters in GopherHole saw this coming. Given the future outlook for the economy it is a safe bet that within 5 years a large number of public DI football schools will be selling beer to adults at their football games and making a lot of money doing it. It will be the only financially responsible thing to do. University presidents who don't pursue every opportunity to increase their revenues will be putting their jobs at risk. And rightfully so.

I take a dissenting view. This has been in the works at WV for a while, it's actually not much of a drinking change because they currently allow people to leave the stadium, drink, and come back. That's absolutely wild. Basically they're trying to make more money by selling the liquor with a questionable amount of difference in the amount of alcohol consumption.

All it takes is one brawl or law suit to eat up a year's profits for a school. I don't see this as a trend.

All it takes is one brawl or law suit to eat up a year's profits for a school. I don't see this as a trend.

Every business and organization in America which sells or provides alcohol to their guests, customers, clients, and fans has insurance to cover the costs of brawls and lawsuits. It is the cost of being in business - and doing business.

Colleges and universities will do the same and make huge profits selling a legal product to their adult fans. St. Johns's University in Collegeville has an on-campus pub which sells beer to their students. You don't think they have insurance for this? The sooner this gets done at the U the better.

The hypocrisy involved with this issue never ceases to amaze. For you Right Wing Gopher fans this issue is a classic example of the Nanny State run amok. Every God fearing Conservative in GopherHole should be in favor of beer in the cheap seats for Gopher fans.

The hypocrisy involved with this issue never ceases to amaze. For you Right Wing Gopher fans this issue is a classic example of the Nanny State run amok. Every God fearing Conservative in GopherHole should be in favor of beer in the cheap seats for Gopher fans.

As a conservative I completely back anything involving beer. PARTY ON!

Maybe we should start playing a John Denver song at the conclusion of every home game too.

I take a dissenting view. This has been in the works at WV for a while, it's actually not much of a drinking change because they currently allow people to leave the stadium, drink, and come back. That's absolutely wild. Basically they're trying to make more money by selling the liquor with a questionable amount of difference in the amount of alcohol consumption.

You wouldn't be suggesting that the dear Pope is ignoring the important details that make WVU's situation pretty unique so that he can offer a broad generalized response that fits his particular world view would you? Because that seems so out of character... :rolleyes:

If you've ever been to Morgantown, you KNOW this is a really bad decision...

Nobody there needs encouragement.

They'd make more revenue if they just started selling Oxy-Contin at games in WV...

I'm waiting for the announcement where they start selling meth at Iowa and Missouri games.

iowa_meth.jpg

Let's not strive to be like west virginia

+1. The local UVa radio guys were having a field day with this, even though they had someone on who insisted UVa should do it too. Then again, importing all that Zima from wherever they still make it would be expensive. ;)

+1. The local UVa radio guys were having a field day with this, even though they had someone on who insisted UVa should do it too. Then again, importing all that Zima from wherever they still make it would be expensive. ;)

The thing that makes this so easy for WVU is the abundant access of home-stilled moonshine up in them there hills.

I know of at least one Minnesotan who is shamefully less educated than the least West Virginian, Michelle Bachmann. She wouldn't even need beer to be a nuisance. I think they can still order a beer in the cloak rooms of Congress.

Every business and organization in America which sells or provides alcohol to their guests, customers, clients, and fans has insurance to cover the costs of brawls and lawsuits. It is the cost of being in business - and doing business.

Colleges and universities will do the same and make huge profits selling a legal product to their adult fans. St. Johns's University in Collegeville has an on-campus pub which sells beer to their students. You don't think they have insurance for this? The sooner this gets done at the U the better.

How much money can they actually make? If they PROFIT $10 per person and sell out each game, they'll get $3M to $3.5M per year, minus insurance, extra security, and the rest of the costs. I could see them making $2M in in profit before expenses, so I would say they would net $1M to $1.25M. The U is not a bar and they don't need to try to make a low-margin profit like most bars to remain viable.

Selling to the masses is different than charging the high rollers $40 or $50 per game for the RIGHT to drink beer, that's real profit.

Unlike a bar, they can't restrict minors from attending. How do they prevent minors from drinking, they can't. The insurance has to be several times higher than a bar. In a bar you've got maybe a couple hundred people all drinking and you've got a half dozen staff overseeing them. In a stadium you have a much smaller percentage of people drinking and how do you police the bad apples?

I don't know what you mean about your god/conservative comment. I don't think God would prefer alcohol. I don't think a (financial) conservative would spend $8 on a light beer.

Either you are ancient, a UMPD officer, a really protective parent, or work in administration.

I think your argument is completely off. A million dollars in profit is significantly higher than charging the high rollers and as a side, could bring some publicity for a school that could use it in and outside of the state of Minnesota.

Either you are ancient, a UMPD officer, a really protective parent, or work in administration.

I think your argument is completely off. A million dollars in profit is significantly higher than charging the high rollers and as a side, could bring some publicity for a school that could use it in and outside of the state of Minnesota.

I'm none of the above, and I'm also not a beer drinker extraordinare. If we need alcohol to generate publicity and enthusiasm for our program, we've hit rock bottom. I do like beer, and wine, and hard liquor, but I don't have to consume a six back in order to stand up and cheer for my team.

Clearly then you're a communist who hates fun and hates people who like to have fun!

fun-police.jpg

How much money can they actually make? If they PROFIT $10 per person and sell out each game, they'll get $3M to $3.5M per year, minus insurance, extra security, and the rest of the costs. I could see them making $2M in in profit before expenses, so I would say they would net $1M to $1.25M. The U is not a bar and they don't need to try to make a low-margin profit like most bars to remain viable.

Selling to the masses is different than charging the high rollers $40 or $50 per game for the RIGHT to drink beer, that's real profit.

Unlike a bar, they can't restrict minors from attending. How do they prevent minors from drinking, they can't. The insurance has to be several times higher than a bar. In a bar you've got maybe a couple hundred people all drinking and you've got a half dozen staff overseeing them. In a stadium you have a much smaller percentage of people drinking and how do you police the bad apples?

I don't know what you mean about your god/conservative comment. I don't think God would prefer alcohol. I don't think a (financial) conservative would spend $8 on a light beer.

I assume there are limits on civil liabilities for the U as an entity of the State of Minnesota. I am assuming here that the State has certain immunity from lawsuits as do city and county municipalities. In other words, cities and counties can be sued but their liability is limited to amounts much lower than private entities. As such, insurance costs are much lower because the municipality only needs to insure for the amount allowed under statute. I've never examined whether the state (or U) have limits on liability but I am assuming that the at least the U would, and there would be limits on liability and you are overestimating the costs involved. As well, beer is sold at sporting events all across this great land. It is obviously very profitable notwithstanding the additional precautions. No doubt it would be quite profitable for the U as well and would be welcome income. Admin (and legislatures) ought to quit pretending that substance use and abuse doesn't occur anywhere on campus. Good heavens, imagine the illicit narcotics and amount of alcohol that are otherwise consumed at the U.

FWIW, I don't drink anymore and find the juvenile way adults refer and partake in alcohol ridiculous.

If we need alcohol to generate publicity and enthusiasm for our program, we've hit rock bottom. I do like beer, and wine, and hard liquor, but I don't have to consume a six back in order to stand up and cheer for my team.

Where did anybody suggest that beer would be part of promotion?

Congratulations, you have made a positive statement about what it means to act like an adult. Now, how does that prove the rest of us will not act like adults by having a beer in general seating? Over the decades, my friends and I have purchased beer at Gopher games at the dome and never became legally drunk or public nuisances and generally had very good relations with those who sat around us and those we encountered by chance. At TCF, we did not buy beer, we came with the beer previously consumed at local establishments. So, it existed in the stadium in my person. I too do not need a beer to stand up and cheer for my team. To suggest that beer drinkers would be less than faithful, good natured fans is problematic in that most would continue to be good citizens.

Oh Gopher Hooooooooles, take me hoooooooome to a plaaaaace, I Beloooooong.

MINNESOTA, Lake-filled homeland. TAKE ME HOME, GOPHER HOLES.

Top Bottom