Were Fulmer and/or Shannon better options?

Hey drama queens. Give it a rest.

I don't want to sound like an ass but this coaching search has made it really obvious who knows football and who doesn't. The bigger name isn't always the better coach.
Now tell everyone who doesn't like Kill they are not real Gopher fans and they need to get out of the fanbase.

Go Gopher. GOPHER.

Shannon could have made some sense. However, some of the issues that plagued Brewster were part of Shannon's downfall. He kept replacing his offensive coordinators, etc. I like Randy Shannon, and I think he did a much better job at Miami than he is given credit for. He walked into a mess left by Larry Coker and really did clean the program up. I would have been ok with Randy Shannon and his hiring could have made some sense.

Fulmer? Absolutely not. The guy runs a dirty program. Ever hear of the Fulmer Cup? It's the fictional award given to the college football team that gets into the most trouble. Well, it's named after Fulmer for a reason. We are the Gophers, if we cheated, we'd get caught. We always get caught :). Fulmer is a guy who really seemed to lose touch with his program and ran an absolutely tarnished team. There is no way he would have worked out here. I would have not liked that hiring.

I, personally, would have preferred Kill to Shannon, but that is a logical argument in my mind. Fulmer...nope.

I would have preferred Fulmer- I think it would be beneficial to have a head coach with the credentials that Fulmer has. He would have had the credibility to come in to Minnesota and state publicly that we need X,Y, and Z to compete here. I like his recruiting ties to the SEC and his ability to put together an experienced BCS staff. I could envision him being the type of football coach/program CEO that could creat a culture change.

Shannon is a tougher call, but I lean towards preferring him as well. His record at Miami is a major red flag, but he was in charge of cleaning that program up and did accomplish that goal. I think Shannon's knowledge of Florida would be extremely beneficial in recruiting and I also thing that having the only African American head coach in the Big Ten would provide an advantage as well. If Shannon could have brought some of his staff from Miami and continued to win recruiting battles (though not as often as he did at Miami), I could see him being successful.

I have a hard time seeing Jerry Kill ever doing better than 5-3 in the Big Ten. I think it's extremely likely that he has a better record than Shannon would have, but I don't see a real chance of success. I really don't want to go through a decade of 2-6 to 5-3 again while never making a change at the top. I hope I am wrong and Kill does have an upside that I am just not seeing.

Kill > Hoke, Sumlin, Fulmer, Shannon.

Kill ? Golden, Edsall, Calhoun

Kill < Mullen

Kill <<< Motivated Alvarez :)

I agree that one would reasonably assume that Kill is definitely more hungry than Fulmer.

I like the upside of Randy Shannon 4 years ago. But, has a retread ever been better in the next gig?

That Kill fits in with the sensibilities of the two coaches bordering us that manage to do well is very much in our favor. The fact that his staff is loyal will give us another advantage we haven't seen (to a ridiculous extent) in the past decade.

Like Kill

Jerry Kill has coached at 4 different places before here. Shannon was at Miami ( graduate) and Fulmer Tennesee (graduate) only ever coached there.

Jerry Kill has turned around different programs and he has been coaching in the Midwest for many years. I think that makes him a better fit.

I didn't mind Fulmer originally but was blasted by others when I suggested his name right after Brewster was fired. I would have been fine with him.

I would have been fine with Shannon too.

I like Kill the best.

Bruininks: "So I don't think that's a reason why we're not winning in Minnesota. I think it's kind of interesting, we got beat by six teams so far this year and only two of the six teams have a better football budget than we do, so that's not the explanation for failing to beat South Dakota or Northwestern or Purdue or Northern Illinois -- those four all have lower budgets than we do in support of football. So the one point I would say is that we do support football at a much higher level than people realize."

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/06/29/big-spending-ohio-state-could-change-nickname-to-bucks-eyes/

if its about investment/return, Kill might be the best alternative (of the three)

sure would like the U to be more like WVU with respect to Ws and budget

But, has a retread ever been better in the next gig?

bill-belichick.jpg

I like Shannon, but think Kill is a better fit for the Gophers. Lets not forget that Miami started a true freshman at quarterback due to injury for several games. He didn't live up to expecations at Miami and was fired, but if you judge the talent level by recruiting rankings they are in much better shape then when Coker ran the talent level down.

I think Kill is a much better choice than Fulmer.

You could even argure that Zook was better at Illinois than at Florida. Sure he gets outcoached on a regular basis, but he took a team to the rosebowl. Their team has clearly been up and down during his tenure, but at least it was up.

I would have preferred Fulmer- I think it would be beneficial to have a head coach with the credentials that Fulmer has. He would have had the credibility to come in to Minnesota and state publicly that we need X,Y, and Z to compete here. I like his recruiting ties to the SEC and his ability to put together an experienced BCS staff. I could envision him being the type of football coach/program CEO that could creat a culture change.

I do not want the culture he had at Tennessee to be the football culture at Minnesota. 1) Fulmer Cup 2) Look at the aftermath

Shannon is a tougher call, but I lean towards preferring him as well. His record at Miami is a major red flag, but he was in charge of cleaning that program up and did accomplish that goal. I think Shannon's knowledge of Florida would be extremely beneficial in recruiting and I also thing that having the only African American head coach in the Big Ten would provide an advantage as well. If Shannon could have brought some of his staff from Miami and continued to win recruiting battles (though not as often as he did at Miami), I could see him being successful.

I have a hard time seeing Jerry Kill ever doing better than 5-3 in the Big Ten. I think it's extremely likely that he has a better record than Shannon would have, but I don't see a real chance of success. I really don't want to go through a decade of 2-6 to 5-3 again while never making a change at the top. I hope I am wrong and Kill does have an upside that I am just not seeing.

Your logic confounds me. Randy Shannon never did better than 5-3 at Miami in the ACC. You are afraid that Kill will never be better than 5-3 but if I read in to what you're saying correctly you somehow think Shannon will be better with inferior players to what he had in Miami in a tougher conference. If that isn't what you're saying I'm curious why you aren't also afraid that Shannon would never be better than 5-3 here...

Edit: Nevermind, I read too quickly and missed the statement "I think it's extremely likely that he has a better record than Shannon would have."

His ceiling will be determined by his recruiting. That is a mystery to everybody right now.

Top Bottom