Wenger Gone

Head Coach - Fleck - Still Here
OC/QB's - Ciarrocca - PSU OC -> WVU Analyst -> Minn OC -> Rutgers OC
DC/LB's - Robb Smith - Texas A&M Analyst ->Rutgers DC -> Duke DC -> PSU Analyst
Ass't HC/DB's - Mo Linquist - Texas A&M CBs ->Dallas Cowboys DB -> Buffalo Head Coach
RB's - Kenni Burns - Kent State Head Coach
TE - Brian Callahan - Still Here
D-Line - Bryce Paup - Northern Iowa D-line
WR - Matt Simon - Still Here
OL/Run game coordinator - Ed Warinner - Michigan Oline -> Florida Atlantic Run Game Coordinator
Special Teams coordinator - Rob Wenger - Pursuing other opportunities
I suspect this is not that unusual for a college coaching staff. It's basically the portal and always has been. We (and, yes, that does include me) now want to put restrictions on players transferring because it interferes with the product on the field. Should we put those same restrictions on coaches? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? I guess if players become employees then it will all be the same.

How long before Washington's HC leaves & where?
I don't think he does, unless he has NFL aspirations. He's gotten Washington to the CFP in the Pac-12, and starting next year will be coaching in the B1G, and his school will be receiving more money than they were from the Pac-12. He's also making 4.2 million annually based on a quick google search.

I don't see a motivation for him to leave for another College HC position, unless he really cares about making a salary that Washington refuses to pay him. While that's not impossible, I find it unlikely that he jumps ship from a place that he could easily continue to coach and have success at until retirement.

I don't think he does, unless he has NFL aspirations. He's gotten Washington to the CFP in the Pac-12, and starting next year will be coaching in the B1G, and his school will be receiving more money than they were from the Pac-12. He's also making 4.2 million annually based on a quick google search.

I don't see a motivation for him to leave for another College HC position, unless he really cares about making a salary that Washington refuses to pay him. While that's not impossible, I find it unlikely that he jumps ship from a place that he could easily continue to coach and have success at until retirement.
Less than 4 hours to where he grew up from the Twin Cities……

The reason they didn’t return kicks is they couldn’t get returns to the 25

Which is a problem. But a different problem than you identified
And that problem was a result of no organized return blocking, which meant it was not something they practiced, which meant the head coach said we're not doing that so don't waste practice time on it.

You accept some returns to the 23 and the 20 if you have someone who can periodically break one for 40 or 50 yards or even a TD. The investment is small. I think PJ is more afraid of penalties and turnovers on KO returns than he is about starting at the 22 rather the 25 yard line.
Correct, he's concerned with block in the back penalties and starting from the ten-yard-line. Return blocking has to be coached with the same emphasis and priority as defense or offense. PJ has been conceding a return threat as low priority.

Concur with this. I was with Chip and Adam Kelly in 84. Coaches worked with us on placement, high punts for hang time, etc... but not on actually kicking/punting. If you were a D1 punter/kicker you need to already know how to kick/punt the ball. Different for QB's.
So Wenger didn't teach Kessich to kick it into the endzone?

I just want to go on record that I felt Minnesota always had some of the best fair catch signals under Wenger. Occasionally the return man would pull a boner and we would get tagged for an invalid signal, but game in and game out, our returners knew how to wave their arm in joyful anticipation!

I suspect this is not that unusual for a college coaching staff.
Especially staffs of teams that win.

Your assistants and coordinators get poached, offered promotions at other programs, etc. Just the way of life in football, college or NFL.

I just want to go on record that I felt Minnesota always had some of the best fair catch signals under Wenger. Occasionally the return man would pull a boner and we would get tagged for an invalid signal, but game in and game out, our returners knew how to wave their arm in joyful anticipation!
I honestly didn't have a problem with "well I guess we're fair catching everything" for a while. I assumed it was because we had issues with guys deciding what to fair catch or not or ... something to work on.

It was just that as you note ... we didn't even get that right ...

Top Bottom