Wendell Beckwith Jr.

gophergrad

Reaction score
GI is reporting we have another "under the radar" DE coming in for a visit. Wendell Beckwith Jr. is 6"3' 210 and from LA. Not rated on rivals but ESPN gives him a 77 or 3 stars only has offers from schools in LA not named LSU. ESPN's new policy of withholding the goods means that all I know about the kid is that he is "a major sleeper on the recruiting trail."

Not sure if he deserves his own thread yet but alas, I don't want to do any more homework.

Source: ESPN.com

"Beckwith is a major sleeper on the recruiting trail. Lacks ideal size for the position and his tweener outside linebacker/defensive end status may be leading to his under-the-radar recruitment. Projects to be a weakside end in a 4-3 scheme with continued physical development. Has a tall, long frame that is in need of some bulk. His ability to add size will be the key to his success at the next level. A quick-twitch guy who is very reactive and fast off the ball. Flashes great get-off. Consistently beats blockers on the edge with his speed rush. Can flip his hips quickly. Collapses the pocket with good closing burst and acceleration. Can get to the edge quickly and work his hands to slip past blockers. Can effectively dip, rip and get under the blocker's pads. Does a really good job attacking half the body. Re-directs and chases well from the backside -- a prototypical reach and grab tackler with his long wingspan and backside closing speed. Needs to incorporate his hands more as a pass-rusher and develop a repertoire of moves. He relies strictly on a speed rush. Shows his lack of size and strength, when engaged. Our main concern is his ability to squeeze and anchor the run at the next level. Does a good job stringing the run out to the sideline with his good body lengthy, quick feet and active upfield penetration -- but he tends to play high at the point of attack hindering his leverage and power. That said, Beckwith plays fast with a great motor and has a ton of upside when projecting for the next level. Can get after the quarterback and that skill alone should allow him to be at least a situational pass-rusher at the major college level."

Offers are not just Louisiana schools - include Southern Miss, Tulane, and Tulsa.

Source: ESPN.com

Beckwith is a major sleeper on the recruiting trail. Lacks ideal size for the position and his tweener outside linebacker/defensive end status may be leading to his under-the-radar recruitment. Projects to be a weakside end in a 4-3 scheme with continued physical development. Has a tall, long frame that is in need of some bulk. His ability to add size will be the key to his success at the next level. A quick-twitch guy who is very reactive and fast off the ball. Flashes great get-off. Consistently beats blockers on the edge with his speed rush. Can flip his hips quickly. Collapses the pocket with good closing burst and acceleration. Can get to the edge quickly and work his hands to slip past blockers. Can effectively dip, rip and get under the blocker's pads. Does a really good job attacking half the body. Re-directs and chases well from the backside -- a prototypical reach and grab tackler with his long wingspan and backside closing speed. Needs to incorporate his hands more as a pass-rusher and develop a repertoire of moves. He relies strictly on a speed rush. Shows his lack of size and strength, when engaged. Our main concern is his ability to squeeze and anchor the run at the next level. Does a good job stringing the run out to the sideline with his good body lengthy, quick feet and active upfield penetration -- but he tends to play high at the point of attack hindering his leverage and power. That said, Beckwith plays fast with a great motor and has a ton of upside when projecting for the next level. Can get after the quarterback and that skill alone should allow him to be at least a situational pass-rusher at the major college level.

Have you been an insider for a long time or did you sign up for the recruiting information?

Have you been an insider for a long time or did you sign up for the recruiting information?

I've had an ESPN the Magazine subscription for about 10 years. So I've been an "Insider" since they started the service.

I've had an ESPN the Magazine subscription for about 10 years. So I've been an "Insider" since they started the service.

Thanks for the inside info on him.

I was looking at the new 'body' issue last night. Have you seen it? Some of those women are pretty intimidating.

Some of Beckwith's measurables, remind me of Schofield, the Wisconsin DE that gave us fits. Hand technique can be taught twitch can't.

Top Bottom