Well, this is about as close to official as you get

Or 3) He wants his future to be in the NFL as an OC and/or head coach and thinks (right or wrong) that the best path to that goal is to get back to the NFL as a QB coach.

My guess is that he is young and confident enough that he assumes that he'll make back whatever he leaves on the table here in short order if his career folows the path he thinks it will.

I think you're right. Fisch seems to be an NFL guy, might not have been comfortable with the college game, amateur athletes, etc., and wants to get back to more familiar territory.

I think 2nd Degree Gopher is right on with this one. It looks like to me Fisch took the OC job because of his ambition to be a OC and eventually HC, and Minnesota was his best option after that season. However, I think he heard the yells of incompetence and the complaining from the Minnesota situation and realized that it was a no win situation for him to stay.

He obviously likes the pro game more, and if he didn't produce big numbers next year and turn things around then all the "potential" he has to be a great offensive mastermind in the future goes up in smoke because he failed at his first real gig. Without that "up and coming" hype, its hard for someone without a particularly impressive resume to get hired. I don't blame Fisch for the move, I'm just disappointed that we had more staff turnover.

I have to believe he thinks he has a better chance of success in the NFL than college. The only other alternative is that he felt he was in an impossible situation at Minnesota. Lets hope it was the first but lets face it he is taking a step down, no doubt about that.

2008 - Denver Broncos wide receivers coach
2004-2007 - Baltimore Ravens quarter back and wide receiver coach
2001-2003 - Houston Texans as defensive quality control
1999-2000 - University of Florida graduate assistant
1998 - New Jersey Red Dogs of the Arena Football League
1997-1998 - while an undergrad at Florida he coached P.K. Yonge High School

lets face it he is taking a step down, no doubt about that.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Not all NFL position coach jobs are the same. Like some have already said, QB coach is the highest-paid and most-visible position coach job, and many use it as a stepping stone to an NFL OC job. The name escapes me at the moment, but I'm almost positive that a head coach was hired straight from a QB coach job. It's not exactly analogous, but Mike Tice was hired as a head coach straight from an OL coach job. I've never heard of anyone going straight from college OC to NFL head coach.

It's debatable whether or not it can be considered a promotion, but one could make a strong argument. At worst, it's a lateral move. The only way it could remotely be considered a "step down" is if he's taking a decrease in pay. Everyone seems to assume that is so, but I doubt it's the case. He has to make at least $450 k as an NFL QB coach.

You had over a WEEK to get ready for your attack and that's all you came up with? The Dean Smith/Peppers shot?:mad:

Man you've seriously pussied-up since Wren and Loon were driven of of here.:eek:

:clap: This post may have single handedly brought the hoky slow clap back into style

I don't think that's necessarily true. Not all NFL position coach jobs are the same. Like some have already said, QB coach is the highest-paid and most-visible position coach job, and many use it as a stepping stone to an NFL OC job. The name escapes me at the moment, but I'm almost positive that a head coach was hired straight from a QB coach job. It's not exactly analogous, but Mike Tice was hired as a head coach straight from an OL coach job. I've never heard of anyone going straight from college OC to NFL head coach.

It's debatable whether or not it can be considered a promotion, but one could make a strong argument. At worst, it's a lateral move. The only way it could remotely be considered a "step down" is if he's taking a decrease in pay. Everyone seems to assume that is so, but I doubt it's the case. He has to make at least $450 k as an NFL QB coach.

Steve Mariucci might be who you are talking about. Fisch seems to be following a similar path to Mariucci. Mariucci was OC at Cal then took the QB coach job at the Packers, then got the Cal HC job, followed by the 49ers HC job.

When you have already been a position coach in the NFL and then become a OC then go back to being an NFL position coach again it is a step back to doing a job of the same level he has done before. I guess then according to your logic he never should have taken the gopher OC job in the first place as it is a step down from a positon coach in the NFL which is what he was before.

I'm fairly certain that a QB coach is considered a better position than WR coach. They are not at the same level and it's not even close. A QB coach is considered an assistant OC on many staffs.

I'm guessing Fisch wanted to try coaching in college and certainly being an OC was a good step for him. But he's quickly realized that the NFL is where he wants to be.

Top Bottom