Well, at least we weren't the only people that cared about the "lateral" rule:

I watched the replay and it looked like the ball went out of bounds before the first down line. I was surprised there wasn't a review in the booth to mark the spot.

It's really a stupid oversight by the rules committee. Why they wouldn't keep the ruling of a regular fumble (player has possession of the ball, then fumbles it forward out of bounds) and this type of play the same is beyond me.

It's really a stupid oversight by the rules committee. Why they wouldn't keep the ruling of a regular fumble (player has possession of the ball, then fumbles it forward out of bounds) and this type of play the same is beyond me.

It would seem logical to me that an offense could not move the ball any further than the furthest point that they had actual possession of the ball. Thus, the ball, IMO, should have been located where the toss was made (since the fumble bounced OOB forward of the QB).

The rule is completely nonsensical.

There should have been a coach's challenge. The placement of the ball was questionable.

I am sure it is something the rule committee will take a look at in the off season. Unfortunate that it happened to us but in the end it really didn't play a huge role in the outcome of the game. Yes it would have given us a stop but with the way the offense played it would have just delayed the inevitable.

The officials got the call right. Not sure what the solution is. If the RB had been deemed to have on purpose batted the ball forward it would have been a penalty on the offense. I don't believe he did. The fumble spot is the point of reference for penalties that by occur during the loose ball. Since there was not a fumble on this play, the line of scrimmage is the point of reference. If any change is made the ball should come back to the original line of scrimmage. Otherwise the officials would need to put a bean bag down on the field every time the QB pitches the ball on an option play.

I really believe the rule should be changed that:

1. If the ball contacts a player then goes out of bounds it is spotted no further forward than the spot where the player contacted it.
2. If the ball does not contact a player the ball is spotted no further forward than the spot the ball first contacted the ground.

Top Bottom