Welch and Chip

XMan

Reaction score
Loved what Welch did for team in second half. All the folks who said he can't play are obviously wrong. Andre may be the better player in the long run, but Welch has had two great back to back games.

I also love the energy that Chip brings when he comes in. He drove to the hoop well and added a lot of spark. Nice come from behind win once again.

This game was pretty much a replay from yesterday. Opponenet hit like wild fire from 3 point land in first half and we chip away and come back and win at the end. We could have folded after cutting the lead to 1, then letting it slip back to 5. We didn't and fought back. As terribly bad as the last five minutes of the first half were.....the last five minutes of the second half were opposite. Nice play to end the game.

Dre also had his best game of his career so far. It's nice to see him finding his shot. I'm hoping Rodney, Austin, and Trevor have good games Sunday. EE has also been very solid for us.

This was a great game for the Gophers and Tubby Smith as well.

People knock his subbing. But why are the Gophers always "pulling away" in the second half. There is a reason other teams are tired and MN isn't. This year, Tubby subs 5 and we still stay within striking distance. Very balanced roster.

People knock his deffense/offense. They can't be that bad, we are 6-0. If both are awful, how are the Gophers winning?

People say he isn't friendly to guards. Today 3 guards were in double figures. Say what now?

People say he is stubborn and makes no adjustments. Today and yesterday we saw many different lineups with halftime adjustments and different defenses, ball line vs. 2-3 vs. man

People say he can't recruit. Yet these are all his players out there getting it done.

This is a hard working, emotional, and exciting team and it is awesome. It looks like everyone has bought in. Team is not always pretty, but getting wins and closing games. Impressive.

I'd also compare Chip's mentality to Westbrook's. They both seemed absolutely fearless when it came to shooting and taking it to the hole. Sometimes that can get you in trouble but we don't have a lot of players with that mentality so it's helpful when our offense goes stale.

Loved what Welch did for team in second half. All the folks who said he can't play are obviously wrong. Andre may be the better player in the long run, but Welch has had two great back to back games.

Agree 100%. I believe Welch is going to be huge for us this year. He brings great defensive energy and seems to always give us a spark we need to get things going. As Dre continues to adjust and learn this year, if Austin continues to develop throughout the year, and if Chip can continues give some quality minutes, we are going to have a nice four guard rotation. My hope for this season continues to grow as I see our newbies begin to get it.

People knock his subbing. But why are the Gophers always "pulling away" in the second half. There is a reason other teams are tired and MN isn't. This year, Tubby subs 5 and we still stay within striking distance. Very balanced roster.

People knock his deffense/offense. They can't be that bad, we are 6-0. If both are awful, how are the Gophers winning?

People say he isn't friendly to guards. Today 3 guards were in double figures. Say what now?

People say he is stubborn and makes no adjustments. Today and yesterday we saw many different lineups with halftime adjustments and different defenses, ball line vs. 2-3 vs. man

People say he can't recruit. Yet these are all his players out there getting it done.

This is the most hard working, exciting, emotional team I have ever seen and it is awesome. It looks like everyone has bought in and loves it. Team is not always pretty, but getting wins and closing games. Impressive.

Great post, I wish more posters were as positive as you. I get sick of reading "the sky is falling" type posts/threads.

Welch, Chip and the two Hollins' give us athletic, explosive athletes that given the match-ups, can be a huge asset to us.

I am glad that Chip is being given a bit more freedom these last few games. He makes things happen. Sometimes the "things" are forced shots and a bit out of control, but I believe he makes up for it with his aggressiveness and knack for scoring. It looks like Chip will cut into Joe Coleman's minutes right now.

Great FT shooting down the stretch as well.

Go Gophers!!

Welch, Chip and the two Hollins' give us athletic, explosive athletes that given the match-ups, can be a huge asset to us.

I am glad that Chip is being given a bit more freedom these last few games. He makes things happen. Sometimes the "things" are forced shots and a bit out of control, but I believe he makes up for it with his aggressiveness and knack for scoring. It looks like Chip will cut into Joe Coleman's minutes right now.

Go Gophers!!

IMO, JC is going to do what Chip does next year too. Coleman has that mentality to some extent too, he just needs to get his feet wet a little first.

Tubby doesn't show his hand in first half in order to see what his standard off/def can do then mixes, matches, changes up for a strong close instead of running out of steam and options like last year.

This is a hard working, emotional, and exciting team and it is awesome. It looks like everyone has bought in. Team is not always pretty, but getting wins and closing games. Impressive.

Great win, love the guard play, great to see Chip getting more playing time.

- They wouldn't have to "pull away" in the 2nd half if they wouldn't go down by 12 and 9 to DePaul and Indiana State.
- Look at the teams they played, they should be 6-0.
- This is the most playing time the guards have gotten. Maybe something finally clicked with Tubby. Plus Ralph's bum ankle is keeping him on the bench.
- Tubby's halftime adjustments have kicked in with less than 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half. Why can't he start the game like that? or make a first half change? Just seems like the changes/adjustments are always slow and Tubby is reactive instead of proactive.

Great win, love the guard play, great to see Chip getting more playing time.

- They wouldn't have to "pull away" in the 2nd half if they wouldn't go down by 12 and 9 to DePaul and Indiana State.
- Look at the teams they played, they should be 6-0.
- This is the most playing time the guards have gotten. Maybe something finally clicked with Tubby. Plus Ralph's bum ankle is keeping him on the bench.
- Tubby's halftime adjustments have kicked in with less than 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half. Why can't he start the game like that? or make a first half change? Just seems like the changes/adjustments are always slow and Tubby is reactive instead of proactive.

Seems like you are grasping at straws after a couple of impressive wins. Why not demand we win every game by 50 points?

I honestly was about to say Welch was garbage after one particularly lackluster performance earlier this year... perhaps it was against Fairfield. He has impressed the past couple games... very nice. His one on one defensive skills and tenacity is on par with Al Nolen (I know... high praise). One particular steal that he had today was impressive. The Odom kid that he went up against today was no slouch of a player but Odom attempted to cross over right in front of a seemingly nonchalant Welch who picked it below Odom's knees beautifully. It was at a critical moment towards the end of the game that really helped us seal the deal. He nice.

So a 10 minute stretch of good basketball against Indiana St is enough to dismiss the previous four years under Tubby?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOk.

for the lollipops and raninbows crowd 10 good minutes against Indiana St is viewed as a told ya so.

for the lollipops and raninbows crowd 10 good minutes against Indiana St is viewed as a told ya so.
No it's viewed as don't give up on this team. A win is a win is a win is a win is a win is a win is a win.

I don't understand why people follow a team if all they are going to do is bitch and complain after every win. How is that fun? Why even watch the games or post on a message board?

no one siad they were giving up on this team. they have beat 6 teams they should have.

the post referred to makes it as though there should be no questions about the team. plenty of questions still to be answered. after 6 games still appears to be no better than a 7th place team in the B1G.

I like the team tubby has put together but still am not a huge fan of tubby. I Don't think you can rip on people who question tubby after coming back and beating Indiana St. in Tubby's 5th year here. I still think Tubby gets out-coached in games. I am about as big of a gopher fan as there is but that doesn't mean I have to act as if Tubby is god.

Tubby has definitely not been out coached in the last two games. His halftime adjustments and coaching down the stretch has gotten us the W's. I think too many people thought we were going to turn into Kentucky when Tubby came here. We'll never be that kind of program, for a lot of reasons. Just try to enjoy the games. I for one am thrilled we have Tubby instead of Dan Monson. We were going no where fast with Monson.

Obviously, Welch and Chip were huge off the bench, but it's nice to see Eliason contributing solid minutes as well. We're going to need that from him, especially without Mo. Gophs definitely making things interesting, but with all the new pieces it's nice to be 6-0. We're likely going to have a hiccup sometime before the B1G season starts, but the longer this goes the better.

Back to back wins where we showed some grit with a variety of key contributors, another game off the schedule. ... certainly plenty of concerns going forward, but good things to build on, too. No complaints from this guy being 6-0 at this point.

This team could really use Devoe Joseph and his outside shooting. It's too bad.

Devoe played awful for us last year. Which was disappointing atthe time because he looked good in the BTT his Sophomore year. I'm actually glad he isn't on this team. He was a pretty selfish player and was definitely more of a PG than SG. I'd rather have Austin as our starting SG.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed- Do you see a little Mel Newbern in Chip? Offensively I see it, though Newbern had a better handle even as a soph. Now if Chip could become the defender Newbern did (king of the steal) he could be a terrific player even as a sixth man type.

Obviously, Welch and Chip were huge off the bench, but it's nice to see Eliason contributing solid minutes as well. We're going to need that from him, especially without Mo. Gophs definitely making things interesting, but with all the new pieces it's nice to be 6-0. We're likely going to have a hiccup sometime before the B1G season starts, but the longer this goes the better.

Back to back wins where we showed some grit with a variety of key contributors, another game off the schedule. ... certainly plenty of concerns going forward, but good things to build on, too. No complaints from this guy being 6-0 at this point.

+1 Especially the part about Elliott. I wish the whiners and bitchers could sort of grasp the concept of "Work in Progress." Yep, still some things to drive you crazy like their open shots the first half and some of our turnovers. But if you can't see the positive things and the fact that we still have a lot of potential for growth, then it's because you want to dwell simply on the negative or you're not really that astute to begin with.

Eliason contributing solid minutes as well. We're going to need that from him, especially without Mo.

Welch's improved play (health/comfort/whatever) and EE's play the last two games has been a real pleasant surprise. I was concerned over what I had seen from both up to this point. They may have more difficulties as the season goes along, but very encouraging regarding their progress & upside.

I hope EE keeps it going and continues to build confidence. Maybe that will light a fire under Ralph. I know he has the ankle issue right now, but he has looked very disinterested all year IMHO. I thought he would return with something to prove/work on after pulling out of the draft - specifically physicality.

Go Gophers!!

This could be the strangest post (and that saying something) I've read this young season. Wow.

It hasn't been mentioned by Welch was barking orders as the had that 8 point run. This take charge attitude is priceless.

Bleed- Do you see a little Mel Newbern in Chip? Offensively I see it, though Newbern had a better handle even as a soph. Now if Chip could become the defender Newbern did (king of the steal) he could be a terrific player even as a sixth man type.

The guy that I think of most for a Chip comparison is Kevin Clark. Clark had a better handle on the ball (though we didn't get him until he was a junior, so Chip could get there) but their mind-set, and style of play could be similar as Chip's career progresses.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom