Weird: teams played twice in regular season

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I was looking up today's bowl game participants. When I looked up Liberty (7-5), a few things stood out to me:
1) Outside of a win over Buffalo, their other 6 wins were versus teams that went a combined 4-31 in FBS play.
2) They played two FCS teams (Hampton and Maine)
3) They played (and beat) New Mexico State TWICE in the regular season (Oct 5 and Nov 30)

Has anyone ever heard of two teams playing each other twice in the regular season? Maybe we should schedule Rutgers twice.

I have never been a member of the "there are too many bowl games" crowd (because the solution is to simply not watch them all). But to me, a team that would be 5-7 if they hadn't played two FCS teams and a 2-10 team twice should not be in a bowl game.

In addition to a Georgia Southern victory making our schedule a little better statistically, and having a forum brother in GSUTalon, I hope GSU routes this team by an huge margin.

Liberty is actually up 23-13 on GSU in the 4th Q. Ouch!

They are two of only 7 independent FBS teams. I assume they play each other twice as a way to fill out their schedules. They each get one home game that way.

Top Bottom