Weird: 2015 Minnesota Prep Bowl could come to the Fargodome

1st - as someone who has dealt with the MN State High School league - this is one of the most f'ed up organizations in existence. They literally cannot make a decision unless someone is holding a gun to their heads. They've know about the scheduling problems in 2015 for months, but they still need more time to "study the issue." Some of the options being considered include: starting the season 2 weeks earlier; playing 7 regular season games instead of 8; or cutting out one round of playoff games.

2nd - I have attended state championship or semi-final games in WI, IA and MN. WI plays its championship games outside at Camp Randall, and everyone survived the outdoors.

My gut tells me that the MSHSL will try to keep the big-school classes at TCF, but they'll farm out the smaller classes to other available stadiums.

+1

1st - as someone who has dealt with the MN State High School league - this is one of the most f'ed up organizations in existence. They literally cannot make a decision unless someone is holding a gun to their heads. They've know about the scheduling problems in 2015 for months, but they still need more time to "study the issue." Some of the options being considered include: starting the season 2 weeks earlier; playing 7 regular season games instead of 8; or cutting out one round of playoff games.

2nd - I have attended state championship or semi-final games in WI, IA and MN. WI plays its championship games outside at Camp Randall, and everyone survived the outdoors.

My gut tells me that the MSHSL will try to keep the big-school classes at TCF, but they'll farm out the smaller classes to other available stadiums.

That's what I was thinking as well. Do the big schools Friday at the Bank and the smaller schools Saturday at SCSU or St. Thomas or UMD. I personally like the idea of SCSU for the smaller schools, many of which would be closer to St. Cloud than the Cities anyway...

Of course all the southern MN small schools would whine but you know what so often those northern schools are the ones travelling for 8000 miles, for one year it could be a southern school.

I will be very surprised if Fargo gets even the small schools. I don't think it makes nearly as much sense as either St. Cloud or the Cities.

Oh, crap - now I know that it will be Fargo!!!! :)

The Minnesota state championship should be played in Minnesota.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

They already play multiple MN section finals at the Fargo Dome. However, having Prep Bowl there would be lame. Don't be wimps, Play at TCF for a couple years.

I personally don't see anything wrong with playing the games at the Fargodome. I'd guess many of you haven't been to a game there, it's actually a pretty good place to watch a game, every chair is a seatback, the seats are right on top of the field, nice turf, video boards, etc. and it gets pretty loud, even with a small-ish crowd. That being said, I don't think it will happen. The weekend they're talking about is also the first weekend of the FCS playoffs, and I can't see the Fargodome people wanting to risk a "double-booking".

As much as I'd love to see the state title games played out in this neck of the woods, it makes more sense to have it in the metro area, whether that be at TCF or a short distance away at St. Johns or St. Cloud.

Could St Thomas absorb a crowd that big? The St. John's game obviously draws that well, but also gets a lot of students and while Prep Bowl never has more than 10,000 fans at once tops, people filter in and out at various times. Long story short, where would you park all those cars at St. Thomas? Most of the side street parking, especially during the day, is resident only.

Could St Thomas absorb a crowd that big? The St. John's game obviously draws that well, but also gets a lot of students and while Prep Bowl never has more than 10,000 fans at once tops, people filter in and out at various times. Long story short, where would you park all those cars at St. Thomas? Most of the side street parking, especially during the day, is resident only.
If they played it the normal day after Thanksgiving, all the students and their cars would be on break. It could work. I like the idea of sending the championships all over the state. Gustavus has the best football stadium in the state regardless of capacity. Would be fun to give the kids the experience of playing in front of a full house one time.

I personally don't see anything wrong with playing the games at the Fargodome.

It's NOT in Minnesota.

Playing a sectional final or even a quarterfinal there is OK, but a state championship should be played in the state.

I thought the State High School League, or the NCAA had made a stipulation that no High school championships can be held at a College Facility due to the inherent recruiting advantage. This stems from the Dump being torn down. Fargo is no answer. Its November, its Minnesota and its football. Play the games outdoors during the daylight. Maybe make it a true weekend of high school football. And if the brain wizards at the State High School league really do their homework, maybe a weekend when the Gophers and Vikes are on the road. And certainly they could schedule it to start with 3 games on Friday 8 man, A and AA. Saturday AAA, AAAA and what the a. But save the Eden Prairie vs. whomever for last.

It's NOT in Minnesota.

Playing a sectional final or even a quarterfinal there is OK, but a state championship should be played in the state.
There's only one state championship in my mind. And everyone outside of the metro has opted out of it in fear of Eden Prairie and Wayzata. The AA winner does not hold the banner for the state, let them play wherever they want to.

Prairie and Wayzata...just two *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# bags reeking up house...

I played in the Fargodome a few times in it's early days and the MSHL could do a lot worse....like when we qualified for state and had to go 400 miles to play on the other school's home field for a state quarterfinal game. The worst part was we didn't get home until about 7:00 a.m. on the opening morning of deer hunting. I wouldn't have wanted to be in the woods anywhere near my hometown that weekend. All those sleepy teenagers handling rifles and battling buck fever must have been a firearms instructor's worst nightmare.

Top Bottom