Weird: 2015 Minnesota Prep Bowl could come to the Fargodome

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the In-Forum:

Reports from the Minnesota State High School League's board meeting Thursday say the Minnesota Prep Bowl - Minnesota's annual series of high school football championships over two days - could move to the Fargodome in 2015.

Fargodome General Manager Rob Sobolik is listening.

"We would definitely be interested," Sobolik said Thursday. "We got a great relationship with a lot of Minnesota schools. In the past, we've hosted some state quarterfinal games. I haven't had any conversations with anybody at the (Minnesota State High School League) yet, as far as 2015, but we'd love to host the Minnesota schools."

The meeting made it official that TCF Bank Stadium would host the Prep Bowl in 2014 with several other sites hosting semifinals the weekend before Thanksgiving, while a new stadium is built for the Minnesota Vikings. The problem with 2015 is the Minnesota Gophers host Wisconsin Nov. 28 and the Prep Bowl usually goes the day after Thanksgiving. Moving the season up a week wouldn't help because the Gophers host Illinois Nov. 21. The Vikings will also play their home games at TCF in 2015.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/414084/group/Sports/

Go Gophers!!

Well, I guess it would be nice for the bison fans to see some D1 players in the fargodome.

just dumb. the dome sucks to play in as a player. hated it with a passion. just move it up in the week if its a problem or else move the season back

Maturi would be all about this.

At that tiime of year, for the High School kids, the playoffs/Prep Bowl need decent indoor facilities. Why are people so afraid of Fargo and their Dome as a temporary solution? My God you people over analyze things. And I would bet that most of you don't even see any Prep Bowl games at the Dump.

You have an opinion with no designated reason. I have a rectum with a designated reason. Now, try over analyze that.

Why on Earth do high school kids need to play football indoors in November?

Seems most high school kids walk around without jackets until January.

The Minnesota state championship should be played in Minnesota.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

At that tiime of year, for the High School kids, the playoffs/Prep Bowl need decent indoor facilities. Why are people so afraid of Fargo and their Dome as a temporary solution? My God you people over analyze things. And I would bet that most of you don't even see any Prep Bowl games at the Dump.

You have an opinion with no designated reason. I have a rectum with a designated reason. Now, try over analyze that.

played in both venues. dump is much better in terms of atmosphere as a player. has that aura around it. fargodome just didn't have it. plus when i played it was carpet and it sucked lol. and as far as outside, playing outside the week before wasn't bad. if you're still playing at that point, you're just excited to be taking the field, regardless of its condition

THis would be great... I have driven up there 2 hours for section championship games a few times.. I have said this more than once when I was up there it is the perfect size for high school football championships.. They do a great job...it is so loud in there the fans the players would love it...close to the field.

2015?......Minnesota high school football will have seventeen classes by then. Might take a week to play those games.

Fargo? Really? We might as well go all out and play the games in Winnipeg's new stadium for goodness sakes! Honestly, I'd rather they played the games at a top-notch high school field like East Ridge's field in Woodbury.

View attachment 2312

Fargo? Really? We might as well go all out and play the games in Winnipeg's new stadium for goodness sakes! Honestly, I'd rather they played the games at a top-notch high school field like East Ridge's field in Woodbury.
Not big enough, plus they have a stupid track around the field. All these dumb suburban schools with 15 softball/baseball/soccer fields around their school and they just had to jam a track in front of the football grandstands.

We don't play Minnesota HS championship games in Fargo; period.

How many people are typically in the dome at any given time for a prep bowl game? 5,000? 10,000?

Also - they play hockey and basketball tournament games during the school week - why not football??? Seems like a better option than moving it out of the state.

Soooooooo.... why not St. Thomas? SCSU? UMD? Minn State? My pick would be SCSU. I know the 5A and 6A schools draw big, but couldn't most these stadiums hold that many fans?

We don't play Minnesota HS championship games in Fargo; period.

How about Minnesota HS playoff games? Good grief you guys it's a one-time only deal until the new stadium gets built. As per Dr. Don.

Let's be brutally honest. Only parents of the players will drive to Fargo for those games. The rest of the fan-base will stay home and away from the tundra. Going to Fargo is foolish. I like the idea of playing at St. Thomas and actually having the stadium packed with 10,000 fans for the big school games where the fans will actually show up.

How about Minnesota HS playoff games? Good grief you guys it's a one-time only deal until the new stadium gets built. As per Dr. Don.

Not worth the discussion. Temporary. Thanks to Dr Don for his reliable sense of perspective.

Soooooooo.... why not St. Thomas? SCSU? UMD? Minn State? My pick would be SCSU. I know the 5A and 6A schools draw big, but couldn't most these stadiums hold that many fans?

Why not TCF? Fargodome is indoors, everyplace you cited are not. Heated field at TCF should suffice.

I think Minnesota has played sectionals at the Fargodome before when heavy snow has made it impossible to play games at some high school fields. Don't some of the D3 schools like Augsburg and Concordia-St. Paul have bubbles over their fields at that point in the year where games could be played there?

Kids today are not allowed to be cold. Or play on real grass.....I'm still amazed there are now rain delays (even without lightning) at high school football games.

The Vikings would probably need to sign off on it be played at TCF and would probably want some cash for the ordeal.

I think Minnesota has played sectionals at the Fargodome before when heavy snow has made it impossible to play games at some high school fields. Don't some of the D3 schools like Augsburg and Concordia-St. Paul have bubbles over their fields at that point in the year where games could be played there?

Every year since the mid 90's actually.

From MSHSL Website, 2013 Schedule:
9-Man: Sections 4, 6, 8
Class A: Sections 6, 8
Class AA: Section 6, 8
Class AAA: Section 8

I see no problem with this for one year, but it will never happen. Given many don't think life exists outside the 494/694 loop, it probably wouldn't be a popular choice just from a travel perspective alone. I played H.S. and college games in both the Metrodome and Fargodome and now that they have field turf versus the old astro-turf, I would much rather play a big high school game in the Fargodome. Crowd is on top of the side line and it gets loud with 5-10k people.

In regards to bubbles over fields, I believe those typically span the sidelines of the playing field and don't cover crowd seating, but someone could confirm if one or two locations could work.

1st - as someone who has dealt with the MN State High School league - this is one of the most f'ed up organizations in existence. They literally cannot make a decision unless someone is holding a gun to their heads. They've know about the scheduling problems in 2015 for months, but they still need more time to "study the issue." Some of the options being considered include: starting the season 2 weeks earlier; playing 7 regular season games instead of 8; or cutting out one round of playoff games.

2nd - I have attended state championship or semi-final games in WI, IA and MN. WI plays its championship games outside at Camp Randall, and everyone survived the outdoors.

My gut tells me that the MSHSL will try to keep the big-school classes at TCF, but they'll farm out the smaller classes to other available stadiums.

Top Bottom