Week 8 Big Ten Power Rankings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Wolverines Wire first out of the gate:

6. Minnesota

Don’t look now, but Minnesota has really turned things around.

In the battle of 4-2 teams, the Gophers and visiting Maryland were heading in different directions. Maryland looked prolific to start the season whereas Minnesota was floundering on a weekly basis. Now, the Gophers seem to have found an identity, even as they play musical chairs with running backs as injuries mount.

The defense continues to be the star of the show, holding Taulia Tagovailoa to 189 yards passing, while Tayon Fleet-Davis and company only managed 79 yards rushing. With three games against teams with losing records remaining, the Gophers are a team on the rise. And with Wisconsin and Iowa as the lone winning teams left, if Minnesota can win one or both of those, it very well could find itself in Indianapolis in December.

Go Gophers!!

Spartans Wire chimes in:

Previous power ranking: No. 7 (same)

Record: 5-2 (3-1 in Big Ten)

This week’s result: Win vs. Maryland, 34-16

Minnesota has looked very impressive ever since their shocking upset loss to Bowling Green. The Golden Gophers are in the thick of the Big Ten West Division race after another win this weekend, and have another winnable matchup this next week against Northwestern.

Go Gophers!!

Buckeyes Wire chimes in:

6. Minnesota

Very quietly, Minnesota is making noise in the West Division. With Purdue’s loss, the Golden Gophers now control their division title hopes with just one loss in the conference. P.J. Fleck’s crew will not scare you on tape, but it seems to do a little bit of everything well enough to keep winning games.

Go Gophers!!

Land Grant Holy Land chimes in:

6.) Minnesota (5-2, 3-1) | 34-16 Win Over Maryland | Previously No. 7

Honestly, no one should be included at No. 6, because the rest of the B1G is not very good. There are certainly some teams that could pull an upset, but on the whole, as much as I love PSU’s implosion, there is a huge chasm between between them and who’s next. So, the Gophers get the call this week, but I’m not exactly sure they deserve it.

Go Gophers!!

Interesting to see how these power rankings have suddenly become very similar to each other after being all over the place to this point. We have definitely hit the point of the season where it is much easier to get a true read on just how good teams really are.

I still think MSU is the lone team that is ranked way higher than they should be. But they will finally get the chance to prove they really belong near the top this weekend when they take on Michigan.

Pundits have to keep teams in their place and constantly favor the East. How I see it:

OSU
Michigan
Iowa
MSU
Gophers
PSU - 18 Pt’s in 9 OTs against Illini is worse than BG!
Wisconsin
Purdue
Nebraska
Maryland
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Rutgers

bottom three are interchangeable at this point.

B1G weekend for shaking up the rankings! Don’t expect the Gophers to move up with the media even if we blow NW out.

Ohio state
Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan state
Penn state
Iowa
Purdue
Illinois
Maryland
Nebraska
northwestern
Rutgers
Indiana

I think this is how it’ll look AFTER this weekend

5. Minnesota Golden Gophers (5-2, 3-1)
Last week: vs. Maryland, 34-16 W

Are the Gophers quietly the hottest team in the B1G West right now? It’s been hard for people to overlook that ugly 14-10 loss to Bowling Green, but Minnesota has ripped off wins in 3 straight games against Purdue, Nebraska and Maryland and continues to run the ball at an incredible clip, despite being down two top backs. The passing game still needs some work, but the Gophers have proven they can win without it. The defense continues to play extraordinarily well, holding a fourth opponent under 20 points this season. If Minnesota can keep this up, it’ll be in the thick of the division race in late November.

Up next: at Northwestern

Ohio state
Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan state
Penn state
Iowa
Purdue
Illinois
Maryland
Nebraska
northwestern
Rutgers
Indiana

I think this is how it’ll look AFTER this weekend
I wouldn’t doubt that Wisconsin would be ranked after beating Iowa and we would still get just the one vote.

OSU
Mich
MN
Wisc
Iowa
MSU
PSU
PU
Nebraska
Maryland
Illinois
Indiana
Rutgers
NW

Man, even the National guys have started putting OSU in the top spot after we were told by the resident Fleck haters that the only reason we were doing it here was in order to protect Fleck and make the loss look better for him.

Here is my take on it:

OSU

Michigan
Iowa
Minnesota
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Penn State
Nebraska
Purdue
Maryland
Illinois
Indiana
Rutgers
Northwestern

I saw one of the rankings say there is more separation between Ohio State and the #2 spot than there is between #2-#14 and I am inclined to agree. Ohio State is playing at an insane level right now and all the rest have questionmarks of some kind. It would take an amazing defensive effort or them making a ton of mistakes to slow down the Ohio State offense right now.

I wouldn’t doubt that Wisconsin would be ranked after beating Iowa and we would still get just the one vote.

If the Gophs take care of business vs NW in convincing fashion, they will be ranked next week. Maybe not in a close game.

If the Gophs beat NW and IL and also IA at the hellhole Kinnick, they will be 8-2 and ranked in the low teens.

Interesting to see how these power rankings have suddenly become very similar to each other after being all over the place to this point. We have definitely hit the point of the season where it is much easier to get a true read on just how good teams really are.

I still think MSU is the lone team that is ranked way higher than they should be. But they will finally get the chance to prove they really belong near the top this weekend when they take on Michigan.
If they take out Michigan this weekend, they belong at #2. But we shall see about that - right now Michigan is favored by 3.5 points in a game scheduled in East Lansing.

Well, they have yet to win a conference game!
True, and sad.

They even lost at home to Akron. I think their only likely chance for a win the rest of the year as Ohio, which is the other terrible team in that division.

I mean wisconsin lost two two top 25 teams (even after Penn state loses to Ohio state) and wisconsin will have beaten Iowa who is a better win than any gopher wins

So I’d argue, rightfully so

Land Grant Holy Land chimes in:

6.) Minnesota (5-2, 3-1) | 34-16 Win Over Maryland | Previously No. 7

Honestly, no one should be included at No. 6, because the rest of the B1G is not very good. There are certainly some teams that could pull an upset, but on the whole, as much as I love PSU’s implosion, there is a huge chasm between between them and who’s next. So, the Gophers get the call this week, but I’m not exactly sure they deserve it.

Go Gophers!!
It started out not a dink, then it became full blown dinkness!

You guys are ranking Wisconsin pretty high.
They have lost to:
Michigan - who has beaten Rutgers, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern. Plus a horrible non conference schedule. They could totally suck. We don’t know yet!
Penn State - They have beaten Auburn, Wisconsin and a bunch of trash. They lost to Iowa and Illinois in the longest most putrid offensive display in NCAA HISTORY! Does anyone know if they are good or not at this point?
Norte Dame - They got stomped by the one real team they played who just struggled to beat Navy! Barely beat FSU and Toledo.

Wisconsin has lost to 3 terribly overrated teams living off their legacies! I seriously doubt they should be ranked higher than 7th in the B1G at this point.

It pains me to see Michigan State so high in the polls and these power rankings. I'm confident we would be them, but even if we didn't, they just don't look like they belong up there to me. I guess we'll see when they play Michigan, OSU and PSU.

It pains me to see Michigan State so high in the polls and these power rankings. I'm confident we would be them, but even if we didn't, they just don't look like they belong up there to me. I guess we'll see when they play Michigan, OSU and PSU.
Perfect example of early season polls being wrong and affecting things. Miami was rated pretty high coming into the season so when MSU beat them it earned them a ton of points and moved them way up in the polls. From there, you keep winning while others around you lose and you keep moving up. Similar thing happened with Iowa.

MSU deserves a spot in the top 25 but top 10 is too high. Or they will prove us all wrong and go out and beat the good teams they will be playing finally over the remainder of the season. To their credit, they are winning the games they are supposed to, but they have also struggled with some teams that a top 10 team shouldn't really struggle with.

BG loss REALLY has us flying under the radar.
Fleck's teams have seemed to struggle early every year. We have dodged so many bullets over that time (Miami Ohio, Georgia Southern, Fresno St., etc.) and sooner or later it was bound to bite us in the ass. Too bad it was this year. I hope the Bowling Green loss is the end of it.

You guys are ranking Wisconsin pretty high.
They have lost to:
Michigan - who has beaten Rutgers, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern. Plus a horrible non conference schedule. They could totally suck. We don’t know yet!
Penn State - They have beaten Auburn, Wisconsin and a bunch of trash. They lost to Iowa and Illinois in the longest most putrid offensive display in NCAA HISTORY! Does anyone know if they are good or not at this point?
Norte Dame - They got stomped by the one real team they played who just struggled to beat Navy! Barely beat FSU and Toledo.

Wisconsin has lost to 3 terribly overrated teams living off their legacies! I seriously doubt they should be ranked higher than 7th in the B1G at this point.
They outgained Notre dame.
They turned the ball over.
I don’t know if I’d call it a stomping

I wouldn’t call it stomping, I’d call it SUCKING!!!
1635190480451.jpeg

They outgained Notre dame.
They turned the ball over.
I don’t know if I’d call it a stomping
True that game got out of hand late. That said, Notre Dame is nothing special this year and is only ranked where they are because their name is Notre Dame.

True that game got out of hand late. That said, Notre Dame is nothing special this year and is only ranked where they are because their name is Notre Dame.
They’re ranked because they have 1 loss.
Everyone who is 0 or one loss in power 5 + Notre dame and BYU is ranked

Literally everyone

Top Bottom