Week 7 Big Ten Power Rankings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Badgers Wire first out of the gate:

12. Minnesota

Week 7 Result: 21-17 win over UCLA

Previous Rank: No. 11 (Down 1)

Analysis: Minnesota was far from dominant in its win over UCLA — it trailed 10-0 at halftime before finding form in the second half. The team is quietly having a really strong season. The schedule is brutal and the team lost tough games to North Carolina and Iowa — yet the Golden Gophers are just two wins away from a bowl game.

Go Gophers!!

Wolverines Wire chimes in, dropping Minnesota 7 spots after its 2nd straight win:

14. Minnesota

Record: 4-3

Hi/Lo: 7/15

Change: -7

Last game: Win at UCLA, 21-17

Biggest win: vs. USC, 24-17

After beating USC last week in Minneapolis, Minnesota was off to the races against bottom-feeder UCLA, right?

Right??

Well, no. The Gophers found themselves in a dogfight in Pasadena, down at the half, storming back to take the lead, only to see the Bruins reclaim it halfway through the fourth quarter. Credit to Max Brosmer for battling back and engineering the late, game-winning drive. Yes, it’s a big drop from last week, but we raised the Gophers seven spots after beating USC. Minnesota is on bye next week.

Go Gophers!!

Huskers Wire chimes in:

11. Minnesota

Result: Win @ UCLA (21-17)

Next Week: vs. Maryland

Thoughts: The Golden Gophers did not look good against the Bruins on Saturday night. UCLA needed to make several critical mistakes down the stretch for Minnesota to win. An upcoming game against Maryland should help them get back on track.

Go Gophers!!

Ducks Wire chimes in:

11. Minnesota

Game Result: W 21-17 against UCLA

Previous Ranking: 9th

AP Poll: Not Ranked

What’s Next?: Maryland

Analysis: After beating USC at home last week, Minnesota kept their momentum going and beat the other LA Big Ten school this week. it wasn’t a wide margin of victory, but it counts in the standings all the same.

Go Gophers!!

Nittany Lions Wire chimes in:

11. Minnesota

Last week: 13

Week 7 result: Won at UCLA, 21-17

Minnesota completed the California sweep by following up a home win against USC with a road win at UCLA. The Gophers struggled for a while before making some things happen after halftime, and they took the lead with 27bseconds remaining with a well-designed touchdown play

Up next: vs. Maryland (Week 9)

Go Gophers!!

College Sports Wire chimes in:

10. Minnesota

Record: 4-2 (2-2 in Big Ten)

Next Game: vs. Maryland Terrapins on Saturday, October 26

Can the Golden Gophers ever make it look easy? Halftime adjustments have been paramount for Minnesota this season, but it’s okay to try from the first whistle.

A tough string of games ends with a week off.

Go Gophers!!

SI chimes in:

9. Minnesota Golden Gophers​

• Record: 4-3 overall, 2-2 Big Ten
  • Previous rank: No. 12 (up 3 spots)
  • Last week: Minnesota 21, UCLA 17
  • This week: OFF
  • The skinny: The Gophers seem to have a little momentum after getting back-to-back wins over USC and UCLA — even though PJ Fleck doesn't believe in it. UCLA shut down Minnesota's run game, which forced Minnesota to win the gam with quarterback Max Brosmer through the air. He delivered again, hitting 26-of-37 passes for 193 yards and two touchdowns. Koi Perich also had an outstanding evening defensively, recording two interceptions and two tackles in the win.

Go Gophers!!

Wolverines Wire chimes in, dropping Minnesota 7 spots after its 2nd straight win:

14. Minnesota

After beating USC last week in Minneapolis, Minnesota was off to the races against bottom-feeder UCLA, right?

Right??

Well, no. The Gophers found themselves in a dogfight in Pasadena, down at the half, storming back to take the lead, only to see the Bruins reclaim it halfway through the fourth quarter. Credit to Max Brosmer for battling back and engineering the late, game-winning drive. Yes, it’s a big drop from last week, but we raised the Gophers seven spots after beating USC. Minnesota is on bye next week.

Go Gophers!!
Beat USC, jump 7, beat UCLA drop 7? Makes sense. /s

I'm going to be very interested to see how UCLA finishes out the season. I don't think they are a great/good team but they got crushed with an absolutely brutal schedule that doesn't get a whole lot easier in the second half with games against Iowa and USC at home along with road trips to Rutgers and Nebraska. They might surprise some teams in the second half.

Interesting to see how our win over UCLA is viewed in some of these rankings. Some give us credit for coming off an emotional home win and getting the road win the following week after traveling to the west coast and playing a night game. Others choose to ding us for not getting enough style points in the win against UCLA.

Huskers Wire chimes in:

11. Minnesota

Result: Win @ UCLA (21-17)

Next Week: vs. Maryland

Thoughts: The Golden Gophers did not look good against the Bruins on Saturday night. UCLA needed to make several critical mistakes down the stretch for Minnesota to win. An upcoming game against Maryland should help them get back on track.

Go Gophers!!
So after beating No. 11 USC and then UCLA, a team that had the toughest early schedule in the country, we need to dominate Maryland in order to "get back on track"? OK.

14. Minnesota

Right??

Go Gophers!!
Dink alert!

STrib chimes in:

9. Gophers (4-3, 2-2): First of two byes this season comes at a good time for a banged-up Gophers team that just finished sweeping the Big Ten’s California schools.

Go Gophers!!

I'm going to be very interested to see how UCLA finishes out the season. I don't think they are a great/good team but they got crushed with an absolutely brutal schedule that doesn't get a whole lot easier in the second half with games against Iowa and USC at home along with road trips to Rutgers and Nebraska. They might surprise some teams in the second half.

Interesting to see how our win over UCLA is viewed in some of these rankings. Some give us credit for coming off an emotional home win and getting the road win the following week after traveling to the west coast and playing a night game. Others choose to ding us for not getting enough style points in the win against UCLA.
During the game a graphic showed UCLA’s 4 losses were to teams 20-1. I think they are better than their record, but we shall see. These ratings are just put out to irritate people, and it works.

During the game a graphic showed UCLA’s 4 losses were to teams 20-1. I think they are better than their record, but we shall see. These ratings are just put out to irritate people, and it works.

Massey has USC as having the #1 strength of schedule so far and UCLA at #2 in the country. The BG10 threw them right into the fire.

UCLA's schedule is tough and really front loaded. The second half of games gets easier for them but still some tough matchups in there for sure.

Assume USC's is #1 due to having LSU and Notre Dame on their non-conf slate in addition to a Big Ten schedule.

UCLA's schedule is tough and really front loaded. The second half of games gets easier for them but still some tough matchups in there for sure.

Assume USC's is #1 due to having LSU and Notre Dame on their non-conf slate in addition to a Big Ten schedule.

I have a feeling the new BG10 members will be rethinking their non-conference scheduling once the contract games fall away.

I have a feeling the new BG10 members will be rethinking their non-conference scheduling once the contract games fall away.
There was discussion at the recent AD's meeting from SEC schools that they try and schedule Big Ten teams in pre-season because Texas vs Michigan was an attention getter.

There was discussion at the recent AD's meeting from SEC schools that they try and schedule Big Ten teams in pre-season because Texas vs Michigan was an attention getter.
Yeah, 11 Power 4 games for USC is ridiculous (Notre Dame counts as power 4). That is just an insane schedule.

I’ve been saying it every week, but after Oregon, OSU, PSU, and Iowa, the margin between the rest of the B1G appears to be razor thin. Illinois looked like a bully early in the year and has come back to earth. Ditto Rutgers. Michigan is mortal. Ditto Washington. Indiana might be #5, but I need to see them play a better team.

I’ve been saying it every week, but after Oregon, OSU, PSU, and Iowa, the margin between the rest of the B1G appears to be razor thin. Illinois looked like a bully early in the year and has come back to earth. Ditto Rutgers. Michigan is mortal. Ditto Washington. Indiana might be #5, but I need to see them play a better team.
I don't think Iowa belongs in that top tier. They may well be the best of the rest but there is a clear separation between those top 3 and everyone else.

I'm not arguing that we should have a high ranking - but it seems like most of these rankings are completely ignoring the travel factor. The Gophers got a W, and shouldn't be punished for it being ugly.

I think we'll see if Indiana is for real starting this weekend against NE.

I'm not arguing that we should have a high ranking - but it seems like most of these rankings are completely ignoring the travel factor. The Gophers got a W, and shouldn't be punished for it being ugly.
One of only two wins traveling at least two time zones I believe.

The favorite has won the travel games in all but 2 situations.

Oregon (and they weren't the underdog by much) and us ... that's it.

It's not travel, the better teams won.

Top Bottom