Week 5 Bowl Projections

Agree with the first part. Disagree with the second. This team isn't vintage Wisconsin and is arguably worse than the Wisconsin team that the Gophers beat in 2018. Also, Wisconsin won last year's game on a missed field goal in overtime.

We lost the game on TM underthrowing Witham on a designed play where he was wide open on 3rd in OT.

We lost the game on TM underthrowing Witham on a designed play where he was wide open on 3rd in OT.

I didn't remember the details. My only point was that Wisconsin wasn't that great and very beatable last year as well. Some Gopher fans have a psychology that Wisconsin must be very good despite evidence to the contrary. I guess I can understand after so many years of futility in that rivalry. Perhaps because I'm a relatively recent Gopher fan I don't carry as many mental scars.

I didn't remember the details. My only point was that Wisconsin wasn't that great and very beatable last year as well. Some Gopher fans have a psychology that Wisconsin must be very good despite evidence to the contrary. I guess I can understand after so many years of futility in that rivalry. Perhaps because I'm a relatively recent Gopher fan I don't carry as many mental scars.
Some of us will look back at the past 17 years and see the Gophers have won The Ax 1 time. This record doesn't instill a lot of confidence that the Gophers can beat Wisconsin.

As for Iowa it's been 7 years since the Gophers have beaten Iowa. And this year it doesn't look hopeful that Floyd will be traveling to Minnesota.

I would consider the season a success if the Gophers could beat Iowa and Wisconsin in a single season.

I agree. Way too many mistakes in a very winnable game. In OT....the missed kick was basically the dagger. But TM had Witham so wide open on the third down prior to it. He just underthrew it and let a LB get in position. Nine times out of ten.....that's a TD.

Detroit is a decent spot but I think they game is played December 26th which causes some issues.
That always bothers me.

If it was some local garbage bowl game... I'd go.

But the 26th? Who wants to travel / miss family events and etc?

Some of us will look back at the past 17 years and see the Gophers have won The Ax 1 time. This record doesn't instill a lot of confidence that the Gophers can beat Wisconsin.

As for Iowa it's been 7 years since the Gophers have beaten Iowa. And this year it doesn't look hopeful that Floyd will be traveling to Minnesota.

I would consider the season a success if the Gophers could beat Iowa and Wisconsin in a single season.

Yes, I understand that and we have our own problems this season. Still, while Iowa looks out of reach this season, Wisconsin does not. What happened 15, 10, or even 5 years ago is not relevant to this season. I was not very surprised at all when we beat them in 2018 because our defense, which had been shredded throughout the season, played two very stout games going into that game and Wisconsin was only 7-4 with their 7 wins coming against opponents with a collective winning percentage of something around 38%.

Their fundamentals don't look so good this season either. They are dead last in the league in scoring per game (18.5 points per game - the only conference team below 20 points per game) and their yards per play gained is also dead last. While their defensive yards given up per play is very good (4.3 yards per game; tied for second in the league), their points per game allowed number is ranked #12 (ahead of only Northwestern and Indiana). I know schedule matters and they've played a good one but still.

Yes, I understand that and we have our own problems this season. Still, while Iowa looks out of reach this season, Wisconsin does not. What happened 15, 10, or even 5 years ago is not relevant to this season. I was not very surprised at all when we beat them in 2018 because our defense, which had been shredded throughout the season, played two very stout games going into that game and Wisconsin was only 7-4 with their 7 wins coming against opponents with a collective winning percentage of something around 38%.

Their fundamentals don't look so good this season either. They are dead last in the league in scoring per game (18.5 points per game - the only conference team below 20 points per game) and their yards per play gained is also dead last. While their defensive yards given up per play is very good (4.3 yards per game; tied for second in the league), their points per game allowed number is ranked #12 (ahead of only Northwestern and Indiana). I know schedule matters and they've played a good one but still.
November 27th will either prove or disprove my prediction.

They should have a bowl at US Bank Stadium rather than Detroit.

Actual hope we whip Wisconsin but given Gophers injuries, qb efficiency, their playing down to the level of the opposition I'm not as confident as you.
No one has any idea today what injury situation for either team will be in late November.

I don't know exactly where this fits, but there's a bright side to this season. Its still young but so far, except for one blemish vs. Bowling Green not bad at all.

Theres Hope in Gopherland! They'll hold their own with a good chance in most any bowl game thats likely.
Just think - Gophers could be 4-1 now, nibbling at the top 25, but for that inexplicable, odd, unexpected loss to a 31-point underdog.

Top Bottom