Week 4 National Polls

The polls are still garbage at this time of year but it is kind of a joke that we aren't even getting votes. That said, it is just one more piece for Fleck and the staff to use in order to keep the players hungry.

Yep.

I hope the Gophers aren't rated until after the Iowa game.

It's instructive to look back on 2019 in these matters.

The polls are still garbage at this time of year but it is kind of a joke that we aren't even getting votes. That said, it is just one more piece for Fleck and the staff to use in order to keep the players hungry.
The polls are keeping the actual polls a secret. Like PJ's injury report. Nobody knows anything until the truth comes out. Then The Gophers end up top 10 in the country again.

If Purdue is 3-1 going into that game, the Gophs get ranked if they win...or get votes at worst. If the Gophs then beat Nebby, they'll be top 20. This team still has credibility from 2019 IMO if they indicate they might be at that level again.

It's the AP.

I guarantee you not a single one of those voters watches even all of the top 35 teams every week.

If the Gophers make it to 5-1 without being ranked, I’ll be extremely surprised.

we'll be favored in the next 6. I'd imagine at 4-1 they will at least be getting votes. Anyone thinking we aren't ranked at 8-1 is being silly, especially given our only loss would be to OSU who will be in the top 10-15 all year

As a few others have said, I think the fact that tOSU has struggled has made the Gophers relatively close loss look less impressive.

The next several games are against some real mediocre looking teams.

We will get some votes, but not ranked until a win against Iowa, imo.

we'll be favored in the next 6. I'd imagine at 4-1 they will at least be getting votes. Anyone thinking we aren't ranked at 8-1 is being silly, especially given our only loss would be to OSU who will be in the top 10-15 all year
We will not be favored at Purdue.

Until it doesn't happen, Ohio St is the favorite to win the conf. And Miami OH has a very good chance to win the MAC.
I would say Penn State and Iowa are the favorites at this point in watching the games.

I don’t care if we’re unranked. In fact, I almost hope we’re unranked going into Iowa City but that won’t happen if we only have 1 loss.

I would say Penn State and Iowa are the favorites at this point in watching the games.
That is a valid opinion, I just think we need more games to watch. But of course we'll see.

I'm not 100% sold on Penn State yet. I think Michigan could be equal or better and OSU is OSU. They could get it figured out in a hurry.

The problem with these polls through 3 weeks is that we overreact to games being played while teams are figuring things out. We compare scores and games in which we don't know the full story of each game. Non-Conference games are hard to prepare for. They're against teams that you typically don't play more than twice in a 10 year span, they are typically not schools you are recruiting head to head against, and it becomes a CRAM for finals week for coaches and players.

Conference games are normal practice weeks against teams you know a lot about and the games typically come down to style of play match-ups.

There are no rules when it comes to voting in the polls. It's all opinion and teams have to keep winning to change opinions. With every win, voters will start to look back at the 2019 season for comparison (not 2020) and will start voting for the Gophers.

I'm not 100% sold on Penn State yet. I think Michigan could be equal or better and OSU is OSU. They could get it figured out in a hurry.
Michigan hasn't played anyone yet. The beat a Washington team that also lost to Montana.

I'd be surprised if the east isn't Ohio State.

As a few others have said, I think the fact that tOSU has struggled has made the Gophers relatively close loss look less impressive.

The next several games are against some real mediocre looking teams.

We will get some votes, but not ranked until a win against Iowa, imo.

No way. They will get votes after winning this coming week. When they beat Purdue the will slip into the bottom of the top 25. If they can go into the Iowa game at 8-1, they will be sitting right in that 12-17 range, even possible higher than that.
Win against Iowa and sit at 9-1, we are going to be in the coversation for the CFP.

No way. They will get votes after winning this coming week. When they beat Purdue the will slip into the bottom of the top 25. If they can go into the Iowa game at 8-1, they will be sitting right in that 12-17 range, even possible higher than that.
Win against Iowa and sit at 9-1, we are going to be in the coversation for the CFP.
acknowledging its a pipedream -- in order for us to make the CFP I think we'd need an undefeated michigan or psu in the B1G title game rather than a rematch vs tosu

Let's say Bama and Oregon go #1/#2. Georgia only loss to Bama in the champ game. Ohio St has beaten everyone (Penn St, Michigan), with only loss to Oregon.

Gophers beat everyone, and then beat Ohio St in the rematch in champ game.

So you've got 13-0 Bama and Oregon, then 12-1 Georgia and Gophers. The question is then, who else is there to consider? Tough to keep out 13-0 Oklahoma or 12-0 Notre Dame. 12-1 Clemson in the convo too if only loss to Georgia.

Could be interesting.

Last edited:

If MN wins the rest of their games, including B1G championship, they will be lucky to be in the top 6. Colorado would have to win P12 in order for that to change. The reason is that perception is, even after destroying Colorado, is that we are not a talented team. If people thought otherwise we would get votes. Why is T A&M ranked so high, perception of talent. Why are teams that have far inferior schedules and results getting votes, perception of talent. Even if we beat IA, WI and whoever we face in championship it is hard to break perception of talent.

So do the rankings matter at this stage in the game. Yes they do. Teams can make high bowl games being unranked at this stage, but they can't make a title run unless they are a SEC team.

acknowledging its a pipedream -- in order for us to make the CFP I think we'd need an undefeated michigan or psu in the B1G title game rather than a rematch vs tosu
I didn't say it's not. But they will surely start to creep into the conversation is all. Things would have to fall their way most likely.

I think you'd be looking at beating an undefeated Iowa team, and undefeated Penn State team and also a win over top 20 Wisconsin. Both PSU and Iowa will be in the top 4-5 of the CFP rankings. That makes us THE #1 pick of the one loss teams. Gophers sneak at #4 in CFP.

Won't happen, but that would be the scenario where it does.

It's a long season.....and let's be honest......winning out would be a miracle. But say we end 12-1 with a BTC.....the Gophers are 100% in that CFP discussion. The one loss would have been to a perennial top ten OSU team in WEEK ONE. Say what you will but even a one loss SEC team would be a question over the Gophers if their one loss was by double digits to Alabama. At that point, you say that they had their shot, and it's time to give another team a shot.

Again....this is a pipedream scenario.

Top Bottom