Week 4 - All Things Rankings UPDATED 11/26: Gophers Ranked #21 in AP

Duke game was so flukey, Duke wasnt missing anything that day, I wasn't even mad about the game afterwards(usually I am), there was nothing they could have done, no one was beating them that day, on any other day I would say gophers performance on that day would have kept the game very close to the finals seconds, or even possibly beat Duke, they were just on fire that day, I mean 80% from downtown? thats crazy, they could beat nba teams with the game they had that day

Edit*

since people obviously did not get that I was joking with the beating an NBA team part, yeah I am joking about beating an NBA team part, but point still stands, they were on FIRE that day

Duke game was so flukey, Duke wasnt missing anything that day, I wasn't even mad about the game afterwards(usually I am), there was nothing they could have done, no one was beating them that day, on any other day I would say gophers performance on that day would have kept the game very close to the finals seconds, or even possibly beat Duke, they were just on fire that day, I mean 80% from downtown? thats crazy, they could beat nba teams with the game they had that day

was right there with you up until this point.

So the Gophers got ranked in one poll and are unranked in the other. So doesn't that make everyone half right?

I still don't think the Gophers should be ranked yet. I think the AP voters overestimated Duke, Stanford and Memphis in their rating of the Gophers, and they should not have moved up after losing by 18 to the Blue Devils. I guess we'll find out if Duke is overrated Wednesday night ;) I believe the voters instead should have put teams like Alabama, Wichita State and Ohio U in the poll ahead of the Gophers, but I think the publicity of the Battle 4 Atlantis caught their attention moreso than the events that some of the other teams played in. I think Stanford and Memphis are not particularly good teams, my guess is they will be bubble teams and most likely NIT-bound - decent wins, but not really ones that should vault a team into the rankings after a blowout loss in my view. Honestly, Oregon had a better win (@ UNLV) than any the Gophers have had, and I feel a loss to Cincinnati on a neutral court is about the same as a blowout loss to Duke, so I would have them in ahead of the Gophers as well. But I do think the Gophers should be ranked if they beat FSU.

lol. Yeah Duke only won the B4A against another top five team in Louisville. I guess we will know how good they are after playing OSU.....who's already proven how good they are against fantastic teams like Albany, Rhode Island, Washington, and the Kangaroos. They definitely deserve to be ranked though.

I hate to bring this up but haven't the Gophers immediately fallen on their face the last few years the game after

I hate to bring this up but haven't the Gophers immediately fallen on their face the last few years the game after

Pending injury. I only see us going up from here. Sky is the limit for this team. This could be a special season.

Well if it happened the past few years, it's bound to continue. Trends that began with different players on different teams will obviously carry over to this year.

Pending injury. I only see us going up from here. Sky is the limit for this team. This could be a special season.

Beating FSU at FSU is no given. Just saying losing tomorrow ain't necessarily the begining of the end.

Well if it happened the past few years, it's bound to continue.

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for backing me up. :)

for those of you who were wondering what poll ESPN will use...well on their website on the scoreboard section for tuesday they have the "21" by the gophers name, So I assume that they will do the same with their telecast...should be fun seeing a number by our name on a national televised game

I also set the scoreboard to show only top 25 teams, and it looks like they use AP polls as their standard, which I agree with now after seeing that UCLA is still ranked in the coaches poll

A more accurate poll would probably be one that was done by Selection Sunday.:)

We get it, you don't care whether the Gophers are ranked. Some of us do. So shut the eff up about it.

Yes, the nearly 5 page post about it would indicate that some of us care about being ranked for the first time in 2 years.

Yes, the nearly 5 page post about it would indicate that some of us care about being ranked for the first time in 2 years.

The unfortunate thing is that we won't be ranked in March, because you can't be ranked in both November and March by rule.

If I had a vote, Duke easily would be #1. Who else can say they've beaten Kentucky and Louisville (albeit short-handed), not to mention pretty decent Minnesota and VCU squads? In the meantime, Indiana has beaten Georgetown (good win) and Georgia (bottom SEC team), other than that they've beaten up on hapless nobodies. Not saying the Hoosiers aren't legit (they're my pick to win it all), but the Hoosiers have done next to nothing to prove they deserve the #1 ranking. Crean's nonconference schedule is mostly pathetic considering the expectations in Bloomington.

That's why I don't pay much attention to rankings. If the voters aren't going to pay attention to the action on the court, why should I pay attention to their rankings?

If I had a vote, Duke easily would be #1. Who else can say they've beaten Kentucky and Louisville (albeit short-handed), not to mention pretty decent Minnesota and VCU squads? In the meantime, Indiana has beaten Georgetown (good win) and Georgia (bottom SEC team), other than that they've beaten up on hapless nobodies. Not saying the Hoosiers aren't legit (they're my pick to win it all), but the Hoosiers have done next to nothing to prove they deserve the #1 ranking. Crean's nonconference schedule is mostly pathetic considering the expectations in Bloomington.

That's why I don't pay much attention to rankings. If the voters aren't going to pay attention to the action on the court, why should I pay attention to their rankings?

+1

Well said

NC st(18th) lost today so I think we jump them in the next poll, and Colorado(19th) is currently losing at home to Texas Southern by double digits, if that holds up we jump them as well. but here is my question to you guys, if North Carolina(14th) loses to Indiana, which it looks like they will, will the gophers jump North Carolina in the AP poll? I think it will be close, I think both will be at 16-18 range in next weeks AP poll, what do you guys think?

Also, I would like to know the last time the gophers have been ranked higher than North Carolina in the AP poll? does anyone know?

NC st(18th) lost today so I think we jump them in the next poll, and Colorado(19th) is currently losing at home to Texas Southern by double digits, if that holds up we jump them as well. but here is my question to you guys, if North Carolina(14th) loses to Indiana, which it looks like they will, will the gophers jump North Carolina in the AP poll? I think it will be close, I think both will be at 16-18 range in next weeks AP poll, what do you guys think?

Also, I would like to know the last time the gophers have been ranked higher than North Carolina in the AP poll? does anyone know?

You mean assuming we beat North Florida on Saturday? I don't think we'll lose, I'm just saying let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Assuming that is the case, I'd say 16-18 as well, depending on the outcome of other games...

Were we higher than then the year that we beat them when they were 8? Not sure. If someone knows that'd be awesome.

Like you said we will for sure jump up into the teens and should make the slow push toward 13-15 as long as we take care of business up until the big ten opener. Then it will be the big show down on New Year's Eve for the battle into the Top 10 I think. Still can't believe I'll be out of town for it.

UNC will certainly drop at least five or six spots as they are getting crushed by Indiana.

UNC will certainly drop at least five or six spots as they are getting crushed by Indiana.

Ya, I wasn't expecting the blowout that is occurring. They'll drop a little further due to the fact that this isn't much of a game. We have a good chance of jumping them.

Don't know if we've ever been ahead of them in the polls, but we went to the tournament in 2010 while North Carolina went to the NIT. Also when we beat them in 2010, I believe North Carolina lost their next game after they lost to us to go 1-2 in Puerto Rico, and might have fallen below us after the Puerto Rico Tip-off.

#19 Colorado and Texas Southern tied at 71 with 10 seconds left in first overtime according to ESPN.

EDIT According to this link, we were #15 and North Carolina was unranked after we beat them. http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbasketball/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=1013

Little bit of an update around the country:

Michigan State #13 is down 6.

Creighton #11 is down 6.

Both to unranked teams. We could possibly jump both of them if the scores hold.

MSU #13 loses to Miami, Creighton #11 loses to Boise State. Both opponents had RPI's of 150+. What are the chances we jump them?

Top Bottom