Week 3 Big Ten Power Rankings Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Wolverines Wire is first out of the gate:

4. Minnesota

Minnesota may be rated too low, here.

The Gopher defense allowed Colorado just 226 total yards of offense and recovered a fumble while racking up 334 yards on the ground. QB Tanner Morgan didn’t have an overwhelmingly great game, but he didn’t need to, considering the run game. He went 11-for-16 for 157 yards, and threw three touchdowns and an interception.

So far, Minnesota has faced three teams, including a Power Five team this week, and dominated in all three. It is the class of the Big Ten West, and look like it should be that division’s inclusion into the Big Ten championship game in December.

Up next, it will travel to East Lansing to take on Michigan State. Win that, and it’s more evidence that the Gophers are for real.

Go Gophers!!

Wolverines Wire is first out of the gate:

4. Minnesota

Minnesota may be rated too low, here.

The Gopher defense allowed Colorado just 226 total yards of offense and recovered a fumble while racking up 334 yards on the ground. QB Tanner Morgan didn’t have an overwhelmingly great game, but he didn’t need to, considering the run game. He went 11-for-16 for 157 yards, and threw three touchdowns and an interception.

So far, Minnesota has faced three teams, including a Power Five team this week, and dominated in all three. It is the class of the Big Ten West, and look like it should be that division’s inclusion into the Big Ten championship game in December.

Up next, it will travel to East Lansing to take on Michigan State. Win that, and it’s more evidence that the Gophers are for real.

Go Gophers!!

Does “clocking the ball” (a couple of those near the end of the first half) count as incompletions?

Does “clocking the ball” (a couple of those near the end of the first half) count as incompletions?
Interesting question. My gut instinct would have been to say no, but I checked the play by play and it does count as an incomplete pass which I guess makes sense, because it is a forward pass. Looks like there was only 1 of those.

Interesting question. My gut instinct would have been to say no, but I checked the play by play and it does count as an incomplete pass which I guess makes sense, because it is a forward pass. Looks like there was only 1 of those.
From what I could find on the interwebs, a spike is attributed to the team and not the individual qb stats.

4 is where I would put the Gophers.

Ohio State and Michigan haven't done a ton yet in 2022 but should be 1-2 based on last season and history.

Penn State has the conference's most impressive resume so far and a lot of talent.

Gophers look like the clear #4 with MSU dropping last night. That will obviously be settled on the field next Saturday.

West 11-10. East 20-1. Will they abolish divisions this week in the B1G?

Nittany Lions Wire chimes in:

4. Minnesota

Last game: Won vs Colorado, 49-7

Last Week: 5

Minnesota continues to pound the opposition. Mohamed Ibrahim continues to shine after another 202 yards and three touchdowns in the latest win. Minnesota has outscored their first three opponents 149-17.

Next game: at Michigan State

Go Gophers!!

Buckeyes Wire chimes in:

4. Minnesota

Why the Ranking?​

Minnesota continues to impress with another blowout victory, this time against a bad Power Five squad Colorado. To be fair, the Golden Gophers haven’t really played anyone to test them yet, but you still have to like what you see on both sides of the ball. Could this be your West Division favorite right now?

Go Gophers!!

West 11-10. East 20-1. Will they abolish divisions this week in the B1G?
In past years I would've gone to battle about the West stacking up fine against the East, but there's no arguing the point right now: the West seems far behind this year, and the lowest teams in the division are an outright embarrassment. Minnesota really needs to win the division this year -- and convincingly. If MN stomps MSU and Wisconsin beats OSU or gives them a great game next week then we can revisit this, but for now it seems clear.

I don't like this being favored to win the West thing. I'd rather have the Gophers hiding in the weeds at this point.

Buckeyes Wire chimes in:

4. Minnesota

Why the Ranking?​

Minnesota continues to impress with another blowout victory, this time against a bad Power Five squad Colorado. To be fair, the Golden Gophers haven’t really played anyone to test them yet, but you still have to like what you see on both sides of the ball. Could this be your West Division favorite right now?

Go Gophers!!

Wow, Rutgers (6) and Maryland (5) ranked ahead of Wisconsin (7) and Michigan State (8)?

This week at least, gotta make those fans out east pretty happy.

Last edited:

In past years I would've gone to battle about the West stacking up fine against the East, but there's no arguing the point right now: the West seems far behind this year, and the lowest teams in the division are an outright embarrassment. Minnesota really needs to win the division this year -- and convincingly. If MN stomps MSU and Wisconsin beats OSU or gives them a great game next week then we can revisit this, but for now it seems clear.
The difference is that the west is usually deeper but the east better at the top:

This year the west not deeper as Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana are definitely better than Northwestern and Nebraska…already beat Illinois

And Wisconsin, Purdue, and Iowa already have picked up non conference losses to average teams.

Are we sure Wisconsin is that bad? Close loss to a 3-0 power 5 team? Guess will find out more after Ohio St.
Wisconsin isn’t that bad.
I don’t think Iowa is that bad either.
I still think Purdue will be annoying but my 9-3 thoughts are more like 7-5 thoughts now.

Wow, Rutgers (6) and Maryland (5) ranked ahead of Wisconsin (7) and Michigan State (8).

This week at least, gotta make those fans out east pretty happy.
Power rankings are odd. I guess beating temple by 3 is better than losing to wazzu by three.

I assume anyone having Rutgers ahead of Iowa in power rankings is picking Rutgers over Iowa this week?

Are we sure Wisconsin is that bad? Close loss to a 3-0 power 5 team? Guess will find out more after Ohio St.

I don't think anyone thinks Wisconsin is bad. Wisconsin just doesn't appear to be a top end West team (in a normal year). Defense isn't as solid as in typical years......and their pass game under Mertz is subpar. They are just an unimpressive team. But they are probably the second best behind Minnesota due to the lackluster team in the West this year.

Not PJ’s fault the west is down. But man… is it shitty.
That will all change soon enough when USC and ULCA join the West. I assume it will be either Northwestern, Illinois, or Purdue that will go to the East. My guess is that they will move Purdue over.

I don't think anyone thinks Wisconsin is bad. Wisconsin just doesn't appear to be a top end West team (in a normal year). Defense isn't as solid as in typical years......and their pass game under Mertz is subpar. They are just an unimpressive team. But they are probably the second best behind Minnesota due to the lackluster team in the West this year.
Right. Iowa same thing lost to a power 5 team that is now 3-0. If the offense improves a little bit the defense might be the number one scoring defense in the country.

That will all change soon enough when USC and ULCA join the West. I assume it will be either Northwestern, Illinois, or Purdue that will go to the East. My guess is that they will move Purdue over.
Purdue is better lately than UCLA

Right. Iowa same thing lost to a power 5 team that is now 3-0. If the offense improves a little bit the defense might be the number one scoring defense in the country.

No......not the same thing. Iowa has an entire side of the ball that is terrible.

If the B1G keeps two divisions, then Purdue should move east. Their guaranteed game with Indiana has been messing up scheduling since 2014’s East West alignment.

Top Bottom