Week 12 Bowl Projections

MGGopher

Reaction score
Athlon: Music City vs. Mississippi St (they have PU in the Pinstripe and PSU in Vegas)
Pro FB Network: Vegas vs. Oregon St (Iowa in Music City, PSU in Pinstripe, and Purdue in Phoenix)
Action Network: Music City vs. Tennessee (PSU in Vegas and PU in Pinstripe)
247: Music City vs. Tennessee (PSU in Vegas and PU in Pinstripe)
CBS (Palm): Guaranteed Rate in Phoenix vs. West Virginia (PU in Vegas and PSU in Music City)
ESPN is behind a paywall, so feel free to add if you have access...

Music City is most common (which I'm all for, but preferably not vs. Tenn). No Pinstripe guesses which is great IMO. Gophers will likely draw similarly (and play similar caliber opponents) in Vegas, Phoenix, and Nashville. Beating Wisconsin MIGHT change the calculus a little, but considering MN was just in the Outback in 2019, the B1G would have to jump them all the way to the Citrus and I just don't see that unless they hammer Wisc and Iowa loses pretty badly to Nebraska.

ESPN chimes in:

Guaranteed Rate Bowl
Chase Field (Phoenix)
10:15 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Rutgers vs. Texas Tech
Schlabach: West Virginia vs. Minnesota

SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl
Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas)
10:30 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Minnesota vs. Arizona State
Schlabach: Wisconsin vs. UCLA

Go Gophers!!

Athlon: Music City vs. Mississippi St (they have PU in the Pinstripe and PSU in Vegas)
Pro FB Network: Vegas vs. Oregon St (Iowa in Music City, PSU in Pinstripe, and Purdue in Phoenix)
Action Network: Music City vs. Tennessee (PSU in Vegas and PU in Pinstripe)
247: Music City vs. Tennessee (PSU in Vegas and PU in Pinstripe)
CBS (Palm): Guaranteed Rate in Phoenix vs. West Virginia (PU in Vegas and PSU in Music City)
ESPN is behind a paywall, so feel free to add if you have access...

Music City is most common (which I'm all for, but preferably not vs. Tenn). No Pinstripe guesses which is great IMO. Gophers will likely draw similarly (and play similar caliber opponents) in Vegas, Phoenix, and Nashville. Beating Wisconsin MIGHT change the calculus a little, but considering MN was just in the Outback in 2019, the B1G would have to jump them all the way to the Citrus and I just don't see that unless they hammer Wisc and Iowa loses pretty badly to Nebraska.
A lot of moving parts still. If Michigan state beats Penn state Minnesota beating wisconsin would definitely put them above Penn state

if Penn state beats Michigan state, Minnesota winning probably doesn’t put them above Michigan state.

TheAthletic:
Guaranteed Rate: Minnesota (Big 10 #7) vs. West Virginia (Big 12 #6)

Has Rutgers (#6) in Pinstripe, Purdue (#5) in Music City, Penn State (#4) in Las Vegas

A lot of moving parts still. If Michigan state beats Penn state Minnesota beating wisconsin would definitely put them above Penn state

if Penn state beats Michigan state, Minnesota winning probably doesn’t put them above Michigan state.

TheAthletic:
Guaranteed Rate: Minnesota (Big 10 #7) vs. West Virginia (Big 12 #6)

Has Rutgers (#6) in Pinstripe, Purdue (#5) in Music City, Penn State (#4) in Las Vegas
Huh, didn't realize the Guaranteed Rate was considered "lower" in the pecking order than the Pinstripe. Doesn't matter too much these days with the "tiered" selection process the B1G uses, but I alway considered the Pinstripe lower...like a step above Detroit.

Huh, didn't realize the Guaranteed Rate was considered "lower" in the pecking order than the Pinstripe. Doesn't matter too much these days with the "tiered" selection process the B1G uses, but I alway considered the Pinstripe lower...like a step above Detroit.
I hold assume pinstripe bowl would push hard for Rutgers over Minnesota or Purdue

But they’d prefer Penn State over any of them

Could have absolute chaos! PSU beats MSU, NEB beats IA, we beat Wisc. Purdue wins. Purdue, us, Sconny, PSU all 8-4. MSU drops out of New Years 12 by losing to PSU. Which 8-4 team then gets first in that hypothetical pecking order?

Could have absolute chaos! PSU beats MSU, NEB beats IA, we beat Wisc. Purdue wins. Purdue, us, Sconny, PSU all 8-4. MSU drops out of New Years 12 by losing to PSU. Which 8-4 team then gets first in that hypothetical pecking order?
The Rose is where we go in chaos formula. Because we beat Michigan in big ten title game

I assume this has to do with payouts, because who wouldn't rather go to Phoenix in December than NYC.

Yeah, that'd be the definition of chaos...and pretty fun. You have to assume MN loses to OSU in the B1G championship and Mich goes to the Rose Bowl. MSU or Iowa in Citrus with the other in the Outback. Then it gets super murky.

BTW, Minnesota winning the B1G title game would not likely send them to the Rose Bowl. If OSU loses to Mich and MN beats Mich, you can all but pencil OSU in for the Rose and Mich a NYD6 at-large. MN likely to the Citrus in that VERY unlikely scenario :)

This is a very important week as far as bowl seeding goes. 8-4 puts us in that second tier of Big Ten bowl teams and gives us a shot for a nice bowl. 7-5 drops us to one of the lower bowls. If we could pull Vegas or Music City with that record....it'd be a major win.

Really....we need to hope that MSU beats PSU. The possibility of getting OSU in the playoffs.....and then two more CFP bowls would open a lot up top. Hopefully we beat Wisconsin and don't have to sweat it.

Top Bottom