Week 11 Bowl Projections

I didn't think that the Big Ten had the Mayo Bowl this year but, after seeing that prediction, thought the bowl may have had the option of picking a Big Ten team. Now I think it was just a faulty prediction.
I think what it was, was lazy journalism on the part of the Sporting News writer. He didn't check the conference Bowl agreements. The College Football News site usually has some real good synopsis of the conference Bowl agreements in effect each year. I do know that it is hard to keep track and it seems to change each year!

If I recall the rules correctly, the B10 agreement is with Mayo and Music City, so that Big Ten gets Mayo in 22 and 24 (Wiscy to the Mayo last year was the first year of the agreement with the new Bowls). But I could be mixing up the Vegas Bowl with the Music City Bowl

Anyhow this year (after the NYE Bowls) the Citrus gets first pick per usual, than the Outback, than the Vegas, then the Music City. I think the Big Ten Office has some say in how the picks go too, but that may be moslty unwritten.

So a quick projection might be that OSU, Michigan, and MSU all play in the BIG Bowls, and then Citrus selects (Wisconsin?), and then it just follows the pecking order......(Iowa to Outback?, PSU to Vegas?......)

Would like the Gophers to beat Indiana and Wiscy and drive the process to achieve a "better" Bowl......

Last edited:

Honest to High Heaven, if the Gophers end up in this worthless bowl, they should just say no and go home.

I was going to say "Don't be ridiculous!" but that's a little like asking Jerry Seinfeld not to be funny.

Both Wisconsin and Iowa have played in this bowl in recent years so if it was good enough for them it should be good enough for us.

So a quick projection might be that OSU, Michigan, and MSU all play in the BIG Bowls, and then Citrus selects (Wisconsin?), and then it just follows the pecking order......(Iowa to Outback?, PSU to Vegas?......)

Would like the Gophers to beat Indiana and Wiscy and drive the process to achieve a "better" Bowl......

Iowa has gone to the Outback a lot and went there in the 2018 season. They may go to the Citrus instead.

Yes, if the season ends for the Gophers as expected (7-5 with a victory over Indiana but a loss to Wisconsin), we probably end up in the Pinstripe. Likely we would be #8 in the pecking order after OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin/Michigan State, Iowa, Purdue, Penn State. Beating Wisconsin probably moves Iowa up a place and us ahead of Purdue, Penn State, and possibly Wisconsin so could be as high as 6th (or maybe 5th) in that case.

ESPN chimes in:

TransPerfect Music City Bowl
Nissan Stadium (Nashville, Tennessee)
3 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Arkansas vs. Penn State
Schlabach: Mississippi State vs. Minnesota

SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl
Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas)
10:30 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Minnesota vs. UCLA
Schlabach: Purdue vs. UCLA

Go Gophers!!
The Las Vegas Bowl would be nice. It would be new bowl for Gopher fans and a possibly chance to play UCLA.

I think what it was, was lazy journalism on the part of the Sporting News writer. He didn't check the conference Bowl agreements. The College Football News site usually has some real good synopsis of the conference Bowl agreements in effect each year. I do know that it is hard to keep track and it seems to change each year!

If I recall the rules correctly, the B10 agreement is with Mayo and Music City, so that Big Ten gets Mayo in 22 and 24 (Wiscy to the Mayo last year was the first year of the agreement with the new Bowls). But I could be mixing up the Vegas Bowl with the Music City Bowl

Anyhow this year (after the NYE Bowls) the Citrus gets first pick per usual, than the Outback, than the Vegas, then the Music City. I think the Big Ten Office has some say in how the picks go too, but that may be moslty unwritten.

If gophers win next two they have the same record as wisconsin and a head to head win the last game

Both Wisconsin and Iowa have played in this bowl in recent years so if it was good enough for them it should be good enough for us.
He's an OTB troll, and is saying that purely out of hatred of NYC and the state of NY for being liberal. That really is all it is.

When you deal with people like this on the internet, you waive your hand and dismiss them.

Iowa has gone to the Outback a lot and went there in the 2018 season. They may go to the Citrus instead.

Yes, if the season ends for the Gophers as expected (7-5 with a victory over Indiana but a loss to Wisconsin), we probably end up in the Pinstripe. Likely we would be #8 in the pecking order after OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin/Michigan State, Iowa, Purdue, Penn State. Beating Wisconsin probably moves Iowa up a place and us ahead of Purdue, Penn State, and possibly Wisconsin so could be as high as 6th (or maybe 5th) in that case.
Yeah, this seems about right to me unless MN beats Wisconsin.

OSU: CFP
Mich/MSU: Rose
Mich/MSU: NYD6 At-Large
Wisconsin: Citrus
Iowa: Outback
PSU: Vegas
Purdue: Music City
MN: Pinstripe
Maryland/RU winner: Guaranteed Rate

Sporting News has us meeting Clemson in Duke's Mayo Bowl.

That's in Charlotte, NC and the weather would be cooler; a good thing for us I think.

I also think that's a good psychological matchup for us. The Gophers should be enthusiastic about meeting Clemson, even in a down year, whereas Clemson players might see that as a real letdown. I think we had a similar situation a few years ago with Georgia Tech where they viewed that game as a disappointment but we were happy because we didn't expect to be bowl eligible until the surprising rout of Wisconsin.
Has anyone ever partaken in Duke’s mayonnaise before?

I have not. I don't know if you can get it in my neck of the woods.

I stand corrected! Just looked it up and you can find it in a Walmart in St. Paul, a Kowalski's in Minneapolis, a store in Chaska, and a store in Northfield. Certainly the first two would be too far for me to drive for mayonnaise (I'm not that big of fan anyway); the latter two aren't so far away.

Looks good. I suppose it's possible that Purdue could go ahead of Penn State. Purdue has a very good chance of finishing 8-4 and has two good wins. PSU has a good chance of splitting their last two games and finishing 7-5. PSU also has two good wins (Wisconsin and Auburn) although Auburn has lost some of its luster.

Illinois still has a possibility; they would have to beat both Iowa and Northwestern. I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping.

If we don’t make CFP or Rose Bowl I’m hoping for the Vegas Bowl. UCLA would be a fun opponent.

Not at all saying it's wrong ... but seems weak that Purdue would get the Music City over us.

Looks good. I suppose it's possible that Purdue could go ahead of Penn State. Purdue has a very good chance of finishing 8-4 and has two good wins. PSU has a good chance of splitting their last two games and finishing 7-5. PSU also has two good wins (Wisconsin and Auburn) although Auburn has lost some of its luster.

Illinois still has a possibility; they would have to beat both Iowa and Northwestern. I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping.
Yup, I considered maybe swapping PSU and PU as there's a definite possibility of that happening. With the B1G pretty much hand-selecting teams for bowls now based on "tiers" and avoiding repeat appearances it really is hard to predict. For example, if the Pinstripe ends up with a big name ACC team who had a similarly disappointing year, I could see the B1G putting PSU in that game for casual fan interest and because they believe PSU is unlikely to finish so low in the B1G standings again in the near future. Just an example, but predicting B1G bowl selection at this point got a lot harder the past couple years...

Also factor in how easily a particular fan base is able to travel to a destination.

NYC would be good for a lot of PSU fans.
Nashville would be good for a lot of Purdue fans.

Blue Plate is the best. Dukes has a little bite to it...probably a little more dash of vinegar or lemon. Kraft is the closest to both up here in the Northern clines.

For example, if the Pinstripe ends up with a big name ACC team who had a similarly disappointing year, I could see the B1G putting PSU in that game for casual fan interest and because they believe PSU is unlikely to finish so low in the B1G standings again in the near future.

Well, I've seen Miami there in some predictions; they're certainly a very storied program that's seen better days. PSU vs. Miami would have been a consummate New Year's day bowl in many years past.

He's an OTB troll, and is saying that purely out of hatred of NYC and the state of NY for being liberal. That really is all it is.

When you deal with people like this on the internet, you waive your hand and dismiss them.
Blue Plate is the best. Dukes has a little bite to it...probably a little more dash of vinegar or lemon. Kraft is the closest to both up here in the Northern clines.
Cool thanks for the Mayo insights; when I first saw them sponsoring it I did a triple take as it seemed odd to me, but it always reminds me of my unrequited middle school crush, Debra Winger, who was Richard Gere’s squeeze in Officer and a Gentleman- aka Zach Mayo.

Never been. Never care to go. Upstate New York, yep. A sardine can of people, no thanks. The Bronx, just... no.

Arthur Avenue in the Bronx has perhaps the best Italian food in the US. Just amazing.

Selfishly, I'd almost rather it be the Guaranteed Rate bowl. I'd like to take the boy to the bowl game, and I'd rather take him to Phoenix than any of the other likely locations.

Selfishly, I'd almost rather it be the Guaranteed Rate bowl. I'd like to take the boy to the bowl game, and I'd rather take him to Phoenix than any of the other likely locations.
I'll agree. I head to Arizona that time of year anyway

I was going to say "Don't be ridiculous!" but that's a little like asking Jerry Seinfeld not to be funny.

They might as well play it in Flushing, New York, because it's a sh1tty toilet bowl.

So he’s stuck in the 60s?
So, kinda like the name of this forum?

Yeah, we need a division title badly to hang our hat on. This was the year.

In a year where expectations won't be as high, maybe the Gophs are the surprise of the conference in 2022.

Top Bottom