Week 0 Other Games Thread

Vandy and NMSU start their drive for 6 this week! Definitely two story lines I look to follow through the year.

V as bay vs Hawaii. Sneaky good game with the state of Hawaii feeling this becomes the rally point ans bs an SEC team who is desperately looking to turn it around.

no marquee matchups but a few big name schools

Vandy and NMSU start their drive for 6 this week! Definitely two story lines I look to follow through the year.
is it still going to be considered a miracle if Jerry wins 6 games again? That NMST schedule is pretty weak again, only P5 they play is Auburn.

Our Thursday game opened the season a few times ...

The Chair game is still arguably the national season opener. Not a lot out there to get excited about today except maybe Notre Dame against a rebuilding Navy squad.

The main events on Thursday Aug 31 will be the Chair on Fox and Utah-Florida on ESPN. Otherwise that night is also a bunch of FCS tune-up fare.

is it still going to be considered a miracle if Jerry wins 6 games again? That NMST schedule is pretty weak again, only P5 they play is Auburn.
Not a miracle but the over under is only 6.5

One thing that sucked for me was that "in studio" ESPN Gameday. I'm sure Notre Dame or USC would have been a nice setting instead of WKRP in Cincinnati. Very unappealling and boring.

One thing that sucked for me was that "in studio" ESPN Gameday. I'm sure Notre Dame or USC would have been a nice setting instead of WKRP in Cincinnati. Very unappealling and boring.

The days when ESPN had budget to send a crew to Ireland (where ND is playing) or even to LA are long gone. We'll probably see UConn host College Gameday 6 times this season.

The days when ESPN had budget to send a crew to Ireland (where ND is playing) or even to LA are long gone. We'll probably see UConn host College Gameday 6 times this season.
And that is too bad. They had the market cornered on fan enjoyment years ago. For whatever reason, they are going down the toilet pretty fast. Always love Desmond, Berman, Steiner, Stuart Scott, and all the other crews they used to have. It's like they used to try to put out a fantastic product and constantly improve. Now? Not so much.

And that is too bad. They had the market cornered on fan enjoyment years ago. For whatever reason, they are going down the toilet pretty fast. Always love Desmond, Berman, Steiner, Stuart Scott, and all the other crews they used to have. It's like they used to try to put out a fantastic product and constantly improve. Now? Not so much.
It's tough out there for everyone in cable. I work for a different major cable network and it's a challenging environment. Subscription revenues are down and everyone wants to make a great product and must to keep eyeballs, but with less profits every year (ESPN is still very profitable) there's a squeeze coming from Wall St to cut costs.

ESPN cut a lot of their NFL talent which will be noticed this season. They also cut tons of behind the scenes people that make the innovation and constant improvement happen.

It's a vicious cycle unless one of the corporate parents makes the investment in quality, profits be damned for a while.

It's tough out there for everyone in cable. I work for a different major cable network and it's a challenging environment. Subscription revenues are down and everyone wants to make a great product and must to keep eyeballs, but with less profits every year (ESPN is still very profitable) there's a squeeze coming from Wall St to cut costs.

ESPN cut a lot of their NFL talent which will be noticed this season. They also cut tons of behind the scenes people that make the innovation and constant improvement happen.

It's a vicious cycle unless one of the corporate parents makes the investment in quality, profits be damned for a while.
Yes, you are right. I work in a system very similar (construction management which is why I'm usually shit faced drunk). The people making the decisions are making them based on spreadsheets and numbers with zero thought about final product or the people affected. "Based on the numbers we can get rid of X". Then the person making that final decision to get rid of "X" uses those numbers to justify. Meanwhile, the company goes to shit because the wrong people are making the decisions based on the wrong merit. They make profit - yes, but the final product is still not good anymore. I see that same scenario a lot and you are right, until someone steps in and says "No, we are going back to our roots", it will continue to decline.

Sinclair definitely f**ked things up.

Didn't know the Navy/ND game was in Ireland. Man, a once in a lifetime experience for a lot of these kids. I'm jealous. Good for them.

Didn't know the Navy/ND game was in Ireland. Man, a once in a lifetime experience for a lot of these kids. I'm jealous. Good for them.
ND offense looking like Fleck offense.

Live from Storrs

Top Bottom