Weber Thought...Get him on the move!

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
After talking with some friends and watching the past games, I have a huge issue with Fisch and a reason for Weber's struggles.
It is not the only reason, rest assured, but what happened to Weber throwing on the run? He is way more accurate when he is rolling or scrambling. I can't recall Fisch rolling him out much this year. Maybe it is because Weber has to think about his throwing motion less or it is just more natural for him but he is a much better thrower on the move.
Also, this could help deal with our awful pass pro. It is a basic football technique to help against a pass rush, but we have either not done it or vastly under utilized it this season.
Any reasons we are not doing this? anyone agree with me?
Hopefully someone can get this to Fisch in time for Ohio State, because It needs to be a bigger part of our offense.

He is way more accurate when he is rolling or scrambling.

Is he? I have come to the belief that Decker makes better catches than Weber makes throws. I have a feeling Weber will be even worse without Decker making adjustments on every ball next season.

I would love to see Weber running the ball again.

Is he? I have come to the belief that Decker makes better catches than Weber makes throws. I have a feeling Weber will be even worse without Decker making adjustments on every ball next season.

He definitely was last year - not sure about this year although as Curse says, we haven't seen it much.

Might have something to do with Weber's injury (knee was it?) -- he's run very little since.

This is why I'm really worried about the next few years. Both Weber and Gray seem to be guys who are/will be more effective when they are given the chance to run the football. They are not pure drop-back passers. Unfortunately we just switched to a pro-style offense, where QB running plays are not the norm. If we start calling more QB running plays or rollouts where we are giving the QB the option to run, then we're drifting back towards a spread offense, which is what we just abandoned. If we stick with this offense it might be Moses Alipate or Tom Parish before we have a QB who can effectively run it.

Maybe Weber & Gray will prove me wrong; maybe it's just taking more time than we thought for them to adjust. But so far I haven't seen very much to think that this will be an offense that Weber can thrive in.

This is why I'm really worried about the next few years. Both Weber and Gray seem to be guys who are/will be more effective when they are given the chance to run the football. They are not pure drop-back passers. Unfortunately we just switched to a pro-style offense, where QB running plays are not the norm. If we start calling more QB running plays or rollouts where we are giving the QB the option to run, then we're drifting back towards a spread offense, which is what we just abandoned. If we stick with this offense it might be Moses Alipate or Tom Parish before we have a QB who can effectively run it.

Maybe Weber & Gray will prove me wrong; maybe it's just taking more time than we thought for them to adjust. But so far I haven't seen very much to think that this will be an offense that Weber can thrive in.

I like the rollout, run pass option ideas, pro style offenses can do this, watch farve run the vikes O, he rolls, drifts over, etc. Weber has been effective at this in the past, IMO that's why he does the crazy scramble thing that drives people nuts, he's looking to roll or throw on the run when things break down, he just hasn't had any luck with it so far.

Really for me the thing this O lacks is a bread and butter run game, and that will continue until the Oline improves, we need 3-5 running plays and 3-5 passing plays to sharply execute in any situation, right now we probably have no running plays and maybe 2-3 passing that we seem to execute with some precision(TE screen, 15 yard comeback, maybe a toss sweep, maybe a FB dive)

Might have something to do with Weber's injury (knee was it?) -- he's run very little since.

Weber stats:
Com-ATT-Int
FR Year: 258-449-19 for 57.5%
SO Year-Injury: 166-243-3 for 68.3%
Injury-present: 198-357-14 for 55.5%

Injury may have played big in situation

Favre executes both pretty effectively, drop back and roll out. The difference is that he has a dangerous running back to hand it to on a play action pass. Regardless I don't see why the gophers don't run some play action passes and get Weber on the roll out with the option to run or pass.

I guess I just duplicated OLE's post.

Weber stats:
Com-ATT-Int
FR Year: 258-449-19 for 57.5%
SO Year-Injury: 166-243-3 for 68.3%
Injury-present: 198-357-14 for 55.5%

Injury may have played big in situation

I don't think it's necessarily the injury that is slowing him down, but maybe the coaches don't want him to run in an effort to protect him. Part of the reason for his % being down from the point of his injury last year to now is the quality of the opponents we've faced in the same span.

If it was up to me though, I'd have Weber roll out and run draws more. I think it's a chance the coaches just have to take.

The fact that they're being so protective might tell us something about how unready Gray is.

I don't think it's necessarily the injury that is slowing him down, but maybe the coaches don't want him to run in an effort to protect him. Part of the reason for his % being down from the point of his injury last year to now is the quality of the opponents we've faced in the same span.

If it was up to me though, I'd have Weber roll out and run draws more. I think it's a chance the coaches just have to take.

The fact that they're being so protective might tell us something about how unready Gray is.

Very keen point, after the beating he took last year, he obviously has been protected this year as much as possible behind this Oline. And YES it does speak to Gray's readiness regardless of the torchlit pitchfork mobs coming out of the woodwork calling for a QB change.
I still would like to see him move around more, Cutler was very effective in rollouts last year in Denver's offense, a shotgun Sprint right option 3-5 times a game would be a good one, allowing either a pass to a downfield receiver, a drag, or to run the ball, OR throw it away.

Top Bottom