Weber is on the Rise

Gold Rush

Reaction score
I thought Adam Weber played his best game as a Gopher last Saturday vs.
Michigan St. He did throw the one pick, but he really played with a lot of poise
and did a great job spreading the ball around. There were many times when he
was looking at three different receivers and did not lock down on anyone.

QB's are rarely ready to go right out of high school and they usually take a few
years to develop. Guys like Cockerham and Cupito really had some awful games early
in their careers here but ended up doing very well by the time they finished. I think
the same might end up being true with Weber as well.

I thought early on that Weber had some pro potential if he could continue to develop.
He does have a much stronger arm than Cupito had and I remember he was throwing
above 90 mph fastballs when he pitched at Mounds View. He is a tough QB with good
leadership skills. However, after seeing him in that nasty 3 game stretch this year
where he went zero TD's and 5 interceptions I wondered what was going on.
He just didn't play very well but some of that can be attributed to playing some good
teams with some good defenses.

If the offensive line can continue to give him that much time back there and he plays
like he did last week, the Gophers can beat a lot of teams and will be exciting to watch
the rest of the season and the next. He was in such a groove last week I hated seeing
him come out so much, but I wonder if he wasn't getting some good information on the
sidelines what to look for. Coaches do not usually get to talk too much to their QB's
until after the series is complete, maybe this is really helping him out.

As far as pro potential, he really isn't listed too highly right now and there are several
junior QB's rated higher than he is, but if he continues to pump out games like he did
vs. MSU which is not a bad defensive team at all, he will move up fast. It's kind of nice
to see because he really took a lot of heat when he wasn't playing very well and I bet
this last game gave him a lot of confidence going into the key Illinois game.

I am very interested to see how he does this week and I really hope he can build on that
great game he had vs. MSU.

I thought Adam Weber played his best game as a Gopher last Saturday vs.
Michigan St. He did throw the one pick, but he really played with a lot of poise
and did a great job spreading the ball around. There were many times when he
was looking at three different receivers and did not lock down on anyone.

QB's are rarely ready to go right out of high school and they usually take a few
years to develop. Guys like Cockerham and Cupito really had some awful games early
in their careers here but ended up doing very well by the time they finished. I think
the same might end up being true with Weber as well.

I thought early on that Weber had some pro potential if he could continue to develop.
He does have a much stronger arm than Cupito had and I remember he was throwing
above 90 mph fastballs when he pitched at Mounds View. He is a tough QB with good
leadership skills. However, after seeing him in that nasty 3 game stretch this year
where he went zero TD's and 5 interceptions I wondered what was going on.
He just didn't play very well but some of that can be attributed to playing some good
teams with some good defenses.

If the offensive line can continue to give him that much time back there and he plays
like he did last week, the Gophers can beat a lot of teams and will be exciting to watch
the rest of the season and the next. He was in such a groove last week I hated seeing
him come out so much, but I wonder if he wasn't getting some good information on the
sidelines what to look for. Coaches do not usually get to talk too much to their QB's
until after the series is complete, maybe this is really helping him out.

As far as pro potential, he really isn't listed too highly right now and there are several
junior QB's rated higher than he is, but if he continues to pump out games like he did
vs. MSU which is not a bad defensive team at all, he will move up fast. It's kind of nice
to see because he really took a lot of heat when he wasn't playing very well and I bet
this last game gave him a lot of confidence going into the key Illinois game.

I am very interested to see how he does this week and I really hope he can build on that
great game he had vs. MSU.

I think he played a solid game but as far as pro potential I do not see it. His arm strength does not appear to be even close to what the typical NFL QB's have.

GopherGod

It isn't easy making it to the pros as a QB. There are a lot of good college
QB's that don't make it and like I said, Weber isn't rated in the top bunch
for next year. I know that he can really wing a baseball after seeing him pitch
for Mounds View, but throwing a baseball and throwing a football are two
different things and I am not sure how he rates on that scale.

Remember also that Joe Montana did not have the strongest arm but he was
one of the smartest and one of the best QB's of all time.

Weber probably has a long ways to go before he can make it at the next level,
but I guess it's more fun talking about that then how bad he is and how we need
to get rid of him. What a difference a week makes....

For now, I am more than happy with what he did last week and it is definitely
something he can build on.

i read in one of the pre-season rags where they rank teams and players (lindy, athlon etc.) that weber was #1 in arm strength in the big ten, don't remember which, though.

It isn't easy making it to the pros as a QB. There are a lot of good college
QB's that don't make it and like I said, Weber isn't rated in the top bunch
for next year. I know that he can really wing a baseball after seeing him pitch
for Mounds View, but throwing a baseball and throwing a football are two
different things and I am not sure how he rates on that scale.

Remember also that Joe Montana did not have the strongest arm but he was
one of the smartest and one of the best QB's of all time.

Weber probably has a long ways to go before he can make it at the next level,
but I guess it's more fun talking about that then how bad he is and how we need
to get rid of him. What a difference a week makes....

For now, I am more than happy with what he did last week and it is definitely
something he can build on.

I am happy with how he played as well and was just sharing my opinions based on my observations. He seems to be an extremely smart player, he just seems to underthrow guys on the deeper routes often and the receivers have had to slow down on their routes or come back for the ball.

Weber is on the rise from terrible to less than terrible. Hopefully for the programs sake next year he will rise to clipboard holder.

Had a good game last week because they were keeping them off balance with Gray and changing the looks completely.

They then decided it worked too well and relied more on Weber...worked great. HA!

Weber's the best QB we have. He would do better if he called the plays himself. Does anyone really believe that our running backs, OL or defensive secondary are better in their positions?

re: Weber on the rise

Well, Adam Weber did not make Gold Rush's post look too good this last week,
I will give you that. Actually, I thought he did much better in the second half, but I
have to agree, the first half was atrocious.

It's kind of funny, but GopherGod remarked in a post how he has a below
average arm and underthrew his receivers a bunch of times. I do not know if Adam reads these posts or not, but he spent the whole first half OVERthrowing his receivers. I was not
impressed by his first half play, but I think the whole game plan during the
half stunk and hung him out to dry.

I think he (hopefully) learned the lesson to take what the defense gives you and not try
to force the play. I think he might have come in a little overconfident from the MSU
game and really got humbled out there. Hopefully he learned from it and it will make him a
better QB in the future.

I predict he will come out and have a very good game this Saturday, but people will dismiss
it due to the competition level. We will need him to be razor sharp if we have a chance to
win at Iowa. We can beat Iowa, Northwestern did and so can we, but it will take a
Gopher team firing on all cylinders to have a chance.

Well, Adam Weber did not make Gold Rush's post look too good this last week,
I will give you that. Actually, I thought he did much better in the second half, but I
have to agree, the first half was atrocious.

It's kind of funny, but GopherGod remarked in a post how he has a below
average arm and underthrew his receivers a bunch of times. I do not know if Adam reads these posts or not, but he spent the whole first half OVERthrowing his receivers. I was not
impressed by his first half play, but I think the whole game plan during the
half stunk and hung him out to dry.

I think he (hopefully) learned the lesson to take what the defense gives you and not try
to force the play. I think he might have come in a little overconfident from the MSU
game and really got humbled out there. Hopefully he learned from it and it will make him a
better QB in the future.

I predict he will come out and have a very good game this Saturday, but people will dismiss
it due to the competition level. We will need him to be razor sharp if we have a chance to
win at Iowa. We can beat Iowa, Northwestern did and so can we, but it will take a
Gopher team firing on all cylinders to have a chance.

This hopeful sentiment is one of the most reliable and consistent on the Hole...it shows up in one form or another nearly every week...best wishes to Adam for a sustained, MSU-level of consistency for the balance of his G career.

Top Bottom