Weather @ Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl

It's looking good right now. Mostly sunny with a high in the mid 40s and a SW wind of 5-10 mph. That'll feel like early September weather after this week.
Early September weather is like 30 to 40 degrees warmer. More like mid to late October. This is some good weather though.

When it’s 40 below wind chill, 40s feels like July.
Correct. Almost got frost bite today in Rochester while wind blew some cash out of my coat pocket and chased after it for 5 minutes.

Great news, I was weighing how heavy of a coat to wear on my 12/29 early morning flight, with a concern of being too bulked up. I am leaving the regular gameday under 20 degeree game coat at the the T2 ramp in my car, and going light!

The next decision is on whether to bring a bag or not. The plan now is to dump a small bag at the hotel desk on the upper east side and jump back into the subway and take the 4 to Yankees stadium. This will cost me 20 minutes.

The 3rd decision will be if it worth $99 to hit the official Gopher party at noon for the buffet and four drink tickets. My guess is no, so I'll be on my own for an hour before I go into the Stadium. I went to a game at the old Yankee Stadium back in 2002 and recall some unique stuff around the stadium, including a very old bar with a bowling alley inside it right by the train platform. I will figure out if that place is still there.

The last issue is what to do post game. A good plan might be to stay sober enough to head south on the train, then walk over to Central Park, south towardsTimes Square, back east on 42nd, then back to the upper east/ mid town area. Maybe do one tourist thing like to to the "round table" bar at the Algonquin, or sit on a bench at Bryant Park.

All I know as, sure as shit, it will be more interesting that downtown Phoenix, and the weather will not be much worse than the Phoenix weather last year.

Last edited:

Great news, I was weighing how heavy of a coat to wear on my 12/29 early morning flight, with a concern of being too bulked up. I am leaving the regular gameday under 20 degeree game coat at the the T2 ramp in my car, and going light!

The next decision is on whether to bring a bag or not. The plan now is to dump a small bag at the hotel desk on the upper east side and jump back into the subway and take the 4 to Yankees stadium. This will cost me 20 minutes.

The 3rd decision will be if it worth $99 to hit the official Gopher party at noon for the buffet and four drink tickets. My guess is no, so I'll be on my own for an hour before I go into the Stadium. I went to a game at the old Yankee Stadium back in 2002 and recall some unique stuff around the stadium, including a very old bar with a bowling alley inside it right by the train platform. I will figure out if that place is still there.

The last issue is what to do post game. A good plan might be to stay sober enough to head south on the train, then walk over to Central Park, south towardsTimes Square, back east on 42nd, then back to the upper east/ mid town area. Maybe do one tourist thing like to to the "round table" bar at the Algonquin, or sit on a bench at Bryant Park.

All I know as, sure as shit, it will be more interesting that downtown Phoenix, and the weather will not be much worse than the Phoenix weather last year.
I'd take a weekend hiking the trails in North Scottsdale over NYC anytime.
Gateway Trailhead - McDowell Sonoran Preserve

Cruise or join this site to see how The Orange going to the game are getting their plans set. Apparently they are very familiar with this bowl and have a good handle on how to navigate, eat, drink, and be merry.

Last edited:

NYC forecast for game day still calling for Partly Sunny with a high of 44.

in SW MN today, it's (-9) with a wind chill of (-38).

so 44 sounds good by comparison. of course, I can't go anywhere because all of the state highways are closed due to blizzard conditions.

The next decision is on whether to bring a bag or not. The plan now is to dump a small bag at the hotel desk on the upper east side and jump back into the subway and take the 4 to Yankees stadium.
....what was the plan if you didn't bring a bag at all?

No shower/wear the same clothes the whole time? :cool:

....what was the plan if you didn't bring a bag at all?

No shower/wear the same clothes the whole time? :cool:
No, but I'll be there about 27 hours and the I am hoping there is a shower at the hotel, if $320 gets you a shower in NYC. Maybe not anymore!

Really, what I have done a few times, is carry nothing, check in to the hotel post game,, buy some more clothes from whatever store I can find, then the next day ship a box back home from a FEDEX or UPS office of what I do not want to wear to the airport or want to keep. I can toss the toothbrush, ect if need be.

This plan sounds extreme, but sometimes it is nice to not have a bag. I'll probably bring a computer type backpack bag so I can have some flexibility on what I change into for the game before getting back on the #4 train north to Yankee Stadium. I can spare a few minutes to walk down to 55th St. to the hotel from 59th& Lexington where the transit station is, to drop a bag around 11AM. Being it is NYC there is no chance the let me check in early and go up to my room, but I have changed in handicap stall before if need be.

New York had such a great music scene until it became crazy expensive. Have fun and if you have time and like art museums there are many good ones.

I'll try to do something interesting in the 7PM to early AM window.

Most likely walk over to Central Park, then head down towards Bryant Park and see if anything is going on, then back up to East Side. It already will be dark, but maybe there will be some interesting things pre-game around Yankee Stadium around 11:30.

A Friday walk, early around Manhattan might be fun.

No, but I'll be there about 27 hours and the I am hoping there is a shower at the hotel, if $320 gets you a shower in NYC. Maybe not anymore!

Really, what I have done a few times, is carry nothing, check in to the hotel post game,, buy some more clothes from whatever store I can find, then the next day ship a box back home from a FEDEX or UPS office of what I do not want to wear to the airport or want to keep. I can toss the toothbrush, ect if need be.

This plan sounds extreme, but sometimes it is nice to not have a bag. I'll probably bring a computer type backpack bag so I can have some flexibility on what I change into for the game before getting back on the #4 train north to Yankee Stadium. I can spare a few minutes to walk down to 55th St. to the hotel from 59th& Lexington where the transit station is, to drop a bag around 11AM. Being it is NYC there is no chance the let me check in early and go up to my room, but I have changed in handicap stall before if need be.
I always wished there was a way to pack a bag. Ship it early ... then fly for the actual trip and have the bag waiting there and ship it back so that I'm not dragging a bag around with me.

If i had to ship it early and get it late, sure fine.

I always wished there was a way to pack a bag. Ship it early ... then fly for the actual trip and have the bag waiting there and ship it back so that I'm not dragging a bag around with me.

If i had to ship it early and get it late, sure fine.
"Back in the day..." you could have shipped the bag/box to the hotel and then back home somewhat reasonably. Now, you might as well just buy a plane ticket for someone to carry your bag for you.

You sure your name isn’t Jack Reacher?

Smart plan for a short trip.

Backpack/personal bag is plenty enough for weekend-length type trips.

Nice that you can also take advantage of the "ultra economy" tickets that don't allow a full carry-on or checked bag in the price, too.

My ten minute shower rate is $200, including unlimited body wash!

Top Bottom