We Shouldn't Ignore Kim Mulkey's Response to the LA Times

I don't care for Mulkey at all but man, what an overblown piece of trash that article is.

The flip side is she was threatening to sue the Washington Post to stop them from even running an article on her. So now with this LA Times article she can put that front and center and look righteous.

I’m biased because I have never liked her whining, screaming and foot stomping during games. The WaPo article held few surprises but I do wonder if she is held to more personal scrutiny than the male coaches? I get that her extreme personality has lead to both her successes and interpersonal difficulties but is she expected to be better @ those because she is a woman ? The timing of the article is also curious ??

I’m biased because I have never liked her whining, screaming and foot stomping during games. The WaPo article held few surprises but I do wonder if she is held to more personal scrutiny than the male coaches? I get that her extreme personality has lead to both her successes and interpersonal difficulties but is she expected to be better @ those because she is a woman ? The timing of the article is also curious ?

I’m biased because I have never liked her whining, screaming and foot stomping during games. The WaPo article held few surprises but I do wonder if she is held to more personal scrutiny than the male coaches? I get that her extreme personality has lead to both her successes and interpersonal difficulties but is she expected to be better @ those because she is a woman ? The timing of the article is also curious ??
Definitely some men's coaches who have been involved in far more crooked stuff who continue to get both coaching and analyst jobs.

I read the Post article. It seemed to mostly state the obvious. She’s a good coach, her outfits are bizarre, which IMHO is why she wears them, and her histrionics on the sideline are very noticeable. She has perfected what PJ would like to be. 🙄

I have no time for her, but some of that is my nature, I simply do not like demonstrative coaches. Makes me think the game is about them not the players. Tomorrows game will be a sure winner for me, one of them is gonna lose.

As for the articles timing? Duh! It’s an article about a women’s basketball coach who is currently in the playoffs, Maybe they should have published during the World Series? Or the opening of duck hunting season?

My ? about the timing relates to the fact that this article is more personal and the content is not just BB. He interviewed her estranged family members n IMHO this type of article is a distraction n should have been posted after the tournament.

I didn.t know much about Mulkey and found the article enlightening.

I read the Post article. It seemed to mostly state the obvious. She’s a good coach, her outfits are bizarre, which IMHO is why she wears them, and her histrionics on the sideline are very noticeable. She has perfected what PJ would like to be. 🙄

I love that. PJ stays a step ahead of me being able to figure him out but you may have peeled the scales from my eyes.

Post article sums it up. She's a winner who walks a lonely, miserable road. Who would disagree?

On Monday, posting on X, formerly known as Twitter, Bolch attached a screenshot of a document that was written in italics, saying, "It has taken me two days to write this apology because I wanted to be as thoughtful as possible in my response to the situation I have created. These are words I have not been asked to write by anyone at my paper, but they need to be expressed so that I can own up to my mistake.

"Words matter. As a journalist, no one should know this more than me. Yet I have failed miserably in my choice of words. In my column previewing the LSU-UCLA women's basketball game, I tried to be clever in my phrasing about one team's attitude, using alliteration while not understanding the deeply offensive connotation or associations. I also used metaphors that were not appropriate."

In the third paragraph, Bolch continued on with the actual verbiage of an apology: "I sincerely apologize to the LSU and UCLA basketball teams and to our readers."

Yep.

Are you telling me a high-end college coach is pathologically competitive and has poor soft skillls? A similar article could be written about a ton of coaches across genders, sports, ethnicities, etc. Hell, it could be written about more than 1/2 of the REALLY successful people I know.

On the big stage last night it was interesting that she was dressed less flamboyantly and didn't freak out on the sidelines that I saw. Even gave a thoughtful and muted in-game interview and was pretty gracious post-game (not something I think she finds easy to do). Was almost like she was 100% focused on not being Kim Mulkey for the big audience last night. As a long time Big 12 fan I've seen plenty of her over the years, not all of it a good look. But she can recruit and coach, that's for sure. Beat the other teams in the Big 12 like a drum for 15 years.

On the big stage last night it was interesting that she was dressed less flamboyantly and didn't freak out on the sidelines that I saw. Even gave a thoughtful and muted in-game interview and was pretty gracious post-game (not something I think she finds easy to do). Was almost like she was 100% focused on not being Kim Mulkey for the big audience last night. As a long time Big 12 fan I've seen plenty of her over the years, not all of it a good look. But she can recruit and coach, that's for sure. Beat the other teams in the Big 12 like a drum for 15 years.
It sure seemed like she went out of her way NOT to be Kim Mulkey last night. Right or wrong, to me she has always come across as someone that wants to be bigger than her team and players.

Bob's comments on these personality types are spot on to me.

I like that she called out the LA times piece. It was done poorly and has been edited and an apology written. I like the way she stood up for her players
I also think Bob's comments were right.

Top Bottom