We should have kept Brewster..

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
Until the end of the year. This meltdown is going to lead to huge attrition for those who have the ability to go elsewhere. All Horton has proven is that Brewster was not the only cause to our woes. It would have been better to let Brewster finish and start a new in the spring.

The team is much, much worse without him. Brewster, for all his faults, had the ability to stay positive and may have been the prefect coach to finish off a 1-11 season (imagine his tearful pre-game speech before Iowa- still would lose 49-7 but they would come out fired up). They would have played hard for Brewster and then we could have a cathartic firing at the end of the year. Maturi could still covertly look for another coach in the meantime..

I figured given the timing of the firing they had something in the works with an unemployed coach, I wonder now if they had a plan. For any employed coach timing is much better at the end of November.

Another stupid, knee-jerk move by Maturi.

It doesn't make a damn difference.

The second we hire a new coach, the difference between firing a coach in Oct. or Nov. goes out the window.

I have to respectfully disagree with you even though some of the things you say are true. We weren't going to make a bowl game with or without him so at this point it doesn't really matter. Penn State was the only winnable game left on the schedule and everyone knew it. This gives us a head start on finding the right coach for us without having to compete with other schools. I think it's a smart move by the administration.

I have to respectfully disagree with you even though some of the things you say are true. We weren't going to make a bowl game with or without him so at this point it doesn't really matter. Penn State was the only winnable game left on the schedule and everyone knew it. This gives us a head start on finding the right coach for us without having to compete with other schools. I think it's a smart move by the administration.

It's a smart move if we can beat another program to the right coach. If we drag our feet, the move means nothing.

It really doesn't matter when Brewster was fired, when you watch the games through the end of the year you won't be able to tell a difference. But it is foolish to think that the U has some sort of head start in the race to hire the next coach. Potential coaches have a decent idea which jobs will be open and which ones they want to consider. The only thing the early firing did was make it easier for the U to contact currently unemployed coaches for those that are concerned about the U's reputation.

If we are really going to make the Tubby like hire as Maturi stated that coach will know full well what all his options are regardless of when other schools fire their coach.

It's a smart move if we can beat another program to the right coach. If we drag our feet, the move means nothing.
Yeah, this is what I meant just failed to actually say it.

I will agree with you if we end up not getting a coach high on the credibility level, as I do believe we will see a lot of attrition possibly at that point. But if we nail this hire, and I'm not saying that I have full confidence we will, just saying, that IF we do, then that will lead credence to the intelligence of firing Brewster quickly and getting on with the search, to get a guy we want, not just what is left over, hopefully.

If we're able to hire a quality coach attrition will be minimized. Guys will stick around for a coach they've heard of/has a good rep/can connect with them before the spring.
Also, if the new coach has any recruiting chops, we'll be able to get a small bump in recruits, there is time for that now, there was not when Brewster was hired and it punted the 07' class.
Make no mistake, there will be plenty of transfers either way, possibly ones that hurt, but if the new coach is worth a damn, he'll be able to fill those spots and start to build HIS program's depth up.

If firing coaches early in the year really gave you an advantage in hiring process you would see it happen much more often, but it doesn't.

If firing coaches early in the year really gave you an advantage in hiring process you would see it happen much more often, but it doesn't.
So there in no advantage in contacting coaches before other schools to see if they are interested and setting up interviews?

The team is much, much worse without him.
If anything it's better, though still rubbish.

Brewster, for all his faults, had the ability to stay positive and may have been the prefect coach to finish off a 1-11 season
WTF does that mean?

(imagine his tearful pre-game speech before Iowa- still would lose 49-7 but they would come out fired up).
They didn't come out fired up in a single game this year, what makes you think Iowa would be any different? Fired up to assume the fetal position maybe

They would have played hard for Brewster
They played harder for Horton vs. PSU than for Brewster in any game this season.

and then we could have a cathartic firing at the end of the year.
Even better, we can have it now!

Until the end of the year. This meltdown is going to lead to huge attrition for those who have the ability to go elsewhere. All Horton has proven is that Brewster was not the only cause to our woes. It would have been better to let Brewster finish and start a new in the spring.

The team is much, much worse without him. Brewster, for all his faults, had the ability to stay positive and may have been the prefect coach to finish off a 1-11 season (imagine his tearful pre-game speech before Iowa- still would lose 49-7 but they would come out fired up). They would have played hard for Brewster and then we could have a cathartic firing at the end of the year. Maturi could still covertly look for another coach in the meantime..

I figured given the timing of the firing they had something in the works with an unemployed coach, I wonder now if they had a plan. For any employed coach timing is much better at the end of November.

I've never disagreed with a post as much as this one!

So there in no advantage in contacting coaches before other schools to see if they are interested and setting up interviews?

Their is an advantage, but you don't have to fire you current coach before you contact a possible replacement. This is even more true if you are using back channels or a search firm type service to make unofficial inquiries.

You are assuming that the list of candidates are currently unemployed coaches. An employed coach can't interview now anyways.

Tyrone20Biggums.jpg

It really doesn't matter when Brewster was fired, when you watch the games through the end of the year you won't be able to tell a difference. But it is foolish to think that the U has some sort of head start in the race to hire the next coach. Potential coaches have a decent idea which jobs will be open and which ones they want to consider. The only thing the early firing did was make it easier for the U to contact currently unemployed coaches for those that are concerned about the U's reputation.
If we are really going to make the Tubby like hire as Maturi stated that coach will know full well what all his options are regardless of when other schools fire their coach.

The bolded part can be an advantage if those are the type of guys we want here. It's not foolish at all to think we can make inroads with certain guys (ex. Bellotti) before a program like Georgia or Colorado. You don't think that was one aspect to getting rid of Brew early?

I think the biggest reason for firing Brewster mid-season as compared to at the end is that everyone can now turn the page and look towards the future. If he was still here, we'd continue to here "Fire Brewster" chants at every game. As negative as it is around the program right now, it would be much worse if he was still around.

I do think that was part of the thought process, I just don't it is the advantage that others on here do. I think the main reason it was done was to appease boosters and fans.

1. I think coaches that like Bellotti that every school will have on their list will wait to see all their options.
2. I think the U will wait to talk to all their targeted candidates, not just ones in a particular pool (unemployed).

Based on those two assertions I don't think the U gained much over schools (say Colorado, ASU, LSU, Texas, Florida) that fire their coach at the end of the year. (I am not serious with the last two schools).

Every week would have been the same discussion as to why Brewster was still here. It was best for everyone to move on.

IF Brewster had NOT been fired...

can you IMAGINE what the chants at the games would have been by now????? Can you IMAGINE the number of complaints that the University of Minnesota would have received through their fund-raising efforts and e-mails to the ticket office, macturi's office and prexy b's office? There would have been demonstrations, protests and images of brewster, macturi and prexy b hanging, burning and being put in mocking and compromising positions just outside the stadium.

This is the lowest I have EVER seen Gopher Football sink.

Good for the acting coaching staff for not tolerating lack of sufficient academic progress. Good for them for cracking down on players who do NOT represent the University of Minnesota the way it needs to be represented. Lack of discipline was growning throughout the brewster reign of terror and horror.

IF players don't value their scholarships to the University of Minnesota get them OUT of there right NOW. Be tough and be disciplined when dealing with these scholarship players. Win or lose, these players need to be held to standards set by the University of Minnesota. They need to be good citizens and they need to be positive leaders. They need to command respect and in turn GIVE respect. They have been given much...expect much from them in terms of representing the University of Minnesota as scholarship student athletes. There is not a single one of them who are bigger than life or are immune to following ALL of the rules. IF they don't want to be here, get them OUT of here. Enough is too much with the undisciplined, out of control student athletes at the U of M. The football program has become what the football program has allowed itself to become.

Tighten it up. Make it honorable. Give it discipline. There is NO room for what has been going on in the football program under brewster and macturi.

Totally wrong on your part. I'm not a Maturi fan, but this was definitely the right move. We could not afford to wait until the end of the year and then not have someone on board until January sometime.

I think the biggest reason for firing Brewster mid-season as compared to at the end is that everyone can now turn the page and look towards the future. If he was still here, we'd continue to here "Fire Brewster" chants at every game. As negative as it is around the program right now, it would be much worse if he was still around.

I agree that that was the biggest reason by far, but I would hope that we felt that there might be some advantage in there as well.

Firing Brewster mid-season separates him from the players. How they play after him really shows how well they were coached and any improvement in their play is theirs not his. Unfortunately, the OSU slaughter only makes us question Brewster as a recruiter as well. Also, Brewster wasn't on the sidelines to accept the heat for Weber's screwups, which help drive the dagger further in to the heart of the Gophers team.

Ever notice how Weber now gets more press conference time now? I see Randy Moss holding his own press conferences in that... Maybe Childress can waive him too.

Good for the acting coaching staff for not tolerating lack of sufficient academic progress. Good for them for cracking down on players who do NOT represent the University of Minnesota the way it needs to be represented. Lack of discipline was growning throughout the brewster reign of terror and horror.

Brewster had no problem suspending players. And academics improved tremendously (haha) over the past few years.

Sorry Mr. iowa Gopher Fan...

Those academic figures are lagging indicators and reflect the progress of the Mason recruits more than the Brewster recruits. And, the usual transfer out ration increases with a change in coaches. I fear that the Brewster era will not fare so well when all is said and done and the lagging indicators are released in the future. Already there have been a LOT of Brewster recruits who are no longer with the program and that number will continue to grow for a while.

Unfortunately, your spin about brewster will prove to be just a dizzying spiral in the wrong direction, most likely. However, the Big Ten win vs loss indicator telly you all you have ever needed to know about brewball...6-22 is the FULL and COMPLETE Big Ten record on brewball. It tells you all that you need to know about recruiting, coaching, academics and every other phase of Big Ten Standing of the University of Minnesota Football Program under Brewster/macturi.

The brewball/macturi Era has ended. Unfortunately, macturi is still in the picture. EVERYTHING that has to do with coaching and administration of the U of M Football Program needs to be replaced and started over.

Those academic figures are lagging indicators and reflect the progress of the Mason recruits more than the Brewster recruits. And, the usual transfer out ration increases with a change in coaches. I fear that the Brewster era will not fare so well when all is said and done and the lagging indicators are released in the future. Already there have been a LOT of Brewster recruits who are no longer with the program and that number will continue to grow for a while.

Unfortunately, your spin about brewster will prove to be just a dizzying spiral in the wrong direction, most likely. However, the Big Ten win vs loss indicator telly you all you have ever needed to know about brewball...6-22 is the FULL record on brewball. It tells you all that you need to know about recruiting, coaching, academics and every other phase of Big Ten Standing of the University of Minnesota Football Program under Brewster/macturi.

The brewball/macturi Era has ended. Unfortunately, macturi is still in the picture. EVERYTHING that has to do with coaching and administration of the U of M Football Program needs to be replaced and started over.

1. Count up the graduating seniors and redshirt seniors from mason's 05 and 06 classes. Lagging indicator my rear end. We get it you HATE Brewster, you LOVE mason/shaw/micronpc.com bowls
Give credit to the only thing Brewster improved while he was here, the academics.
2.The win/loss record has NOTHING to do with the academic phase of coaching a college team.
3.Take your own words to heart(in bold) let it go, get ready for the next coach.

Sorry Mr. iowa Gopher Fan...

Unfortunately, your spin about brewster will prove to be just a dizzying spiral in the wrong direction, most likely. However, the Big Ten win vs loss indicator telly you all you have ever needed to know about brewball...6-21 is the FULL record on brewball. It tells you all that you need to know about recruiting, coaching, academics and every other phase of Big Ten Standing of the University of Minnesota Football Program under Brewster/macturi. The ONLY Big Ten team to do worse during that period of time in Big Ten Play was Indiana at 5-21.

Hey Ole: Brewster's recruits haven't been at the U of M long enough to have graduated. Just wait and see how they fare. The rate will be going down, down, down, I fear. Just keep your eye on the ball during the next 12 months. Watch what happens with Brewster recruits. Just as when Mason was fired, there will be a grand scale of departury by players and that does NOT help graduation rates. This, unfortunately, will be an ongoing problem for a while.

Any way you cut it, macturi has failed big time in his handling of the Football Program.

And we get it, you hated Mason and you loved brewball. Well, at least my record is better than your record in terms of Big Ten wins and wins over border teams and in trophy games in in terms of wins in bowl games over such teams as Oregon, Arkansas, Alabama and wins in places such as Columbus and Ann Arbor.

The failed berwball experiment by macturi was a complete and total disaster.

6-22 is the FULL and COMPLETE Big Ten record on brewball. It tells you all that you need to know about recruiting, coaching, academics and every other phase of Big Ten Standing of the University of Minnesota Football Program under Brewster/macturi.

How does 6-22 tell you anything about academics?

What are the "every other phase of Big Ten Standing" refer to? You already mentioned the record.

We get your point. You were in favor of the firing, as was I, 100%. Don't try to invent these phony, non-existent additional "points" to back up your argument.

Just what I was thinking this morning. What we need is the sure, steadying hand of proven winner Tim Brewster to guide us through these tough times.

Top Bottom