We should be ashamed of this win.

Good win! Oklahoma didn’t apologize for beating Tulane. Notre Dame won’t apologize for beating Toledo
Oklahoma's coach basically called out his players for an embarrassing effort and said they didn't deserve to win...You can find it on YouTube.

Notre Dame beat Toledo today at home by 3 with a late TD. These games happen. Take the win and don’t over analyze it.
Toledo probably beats Miami of Ohio by 15 and the Notre Dame fans will be ashamed of that win too.

Oklahoma's coach basically called out his players for an embarrassing effort and said they didn't deserve to win...You can find it on YouTube.
You think Fleck isn't going to address his players in a similar manner?

Fleck probably loves this kind of blind allegiance.

Be objective in your view and you'll see what any knowledgeable fan sees... this team has some weaknesses.

Doesn't mean this team can't get to 8-9 wins with some luck.
We might get 8 or 9 wins, if we get some breaks. But this team against Iowa’s current team will be ground up like hamburger. And Iowa’s offense isn’t particularly impressive. Iowa’s defense, if we run 45 totally predictable, telegraphed plays, will destroy us and score two defensive touchdowns. It doesn’t have to be this way.

Two disheartening and ominous statistics: no sacks or plays longer than 31 yards in two games—some hope for latter; for the former the push from Pinckney & Martin up front does not seem to be materializing…two long field goals provides a reason to smile, though..
You have to watch getting caught up in number of sacks because there were multiple near misses today as their qb seemed fairly elusive. That said, the lack of any sort of consistent pressure has been disappointing through 2 games.

Disgrace to only win by 5. I am not confident will beat any BigTen teams with wins like this. I am very concerned next week. Another L I’m afraid.

A win is a win. 2019 had these type of games as well. Maybe it will wake guys up. Shake it off and move on.

Ok, this was a disappointing performance by almost any metric but let's not get dramatic. Just look around the country and realize that not every OOC game against FCS and G5 teams is a cake walk these days. In the first two weeks we've had Washington lose to Montana, Oregon barely beat Fresno, ISU barely beat UNI, Duke lose to Charlotte... And that's just off the top of my head.

Everyone wants Minnesota to improve on both sides, but words like ashamed, disgraced, etc are hyperbole.

Two disheartening and ominous statistics: no sacks or plays longer than 31 yards in two games—some hope for latter; for the former the push from Pinckney & Martin up front does not seem to be materializing…two long field goals provides a reason to smile, though..
We’d have lost this game w/o our new FG kicker … Pinckney and Martin appear invisible. No sacks in two games—and Miami was playing freshman at both tackles. This is a very bad harbinger. Even in the really bad years, we seemed able to occasionally mount a pass rush.

A W is a W, but Iowa and Colorado looked awfully good today, as did Nebraska and Purdue. It will not be an easy season with conference road games at Northwestern, Indiana and Iowa.

A W is a W, but Iowa and Colorado looked awfully good today, as did Nebraska and Purdue. It will not be an easy season with conference road games at Northwestern, Indiana and Iowa.
Purdue played UConn which is hardly a real football team. Nebraska beat a MAC team at home as did the Gophers. Colorado lost and only scored 7 points.

Iowa is a solid football team as always. Iowa State is overrated.

Purdue played UConn which is hardly a real football team. Nebraska beat a MAC team at home as did the Gophers. Colorado lost and only scored 7 points.

Iowa is a solid football team as always. Iowa State is overrated.
Colorado held Texas A&M to 3 points until the final 2:00 minutes of the game. That is scary. That is a real, tangible, functioning defense. If our Colorado game plan is to run Potts 45 times to the same spot, I’m starting to feel a little bit nauseous.

Agreed. Threads like this make me hate this website.

I used to think that, but then I changed my perspective! Now I look forward to seeing how some posters on this site are relentlessly negative.

For example: did the Gophers cover the spread but lose to OSU? The negative posters tell us we can't enjoy that result because "who cares how we looked, we lost and all that matters is winning or losing."

But win a game and fail to cover the spread like today? We can't enjoy that either because "who cares if we won, we looked like crap doing it."

Just my .02 cents.

I'm pretty sure A&M was playing a backup QB

And I'm pretty sure a team that finished 8-1 in the SEC last year with a string of top 10 recruiting classes is probably going to convincingly beat a bad defense using their 3rd string QB if need be.

There's lots of season left and it's a win. But it's the way the game had to be won that's concerning to many of us Gopher fans.

I used to think that, but then I changed my perspective! Now I look forward to seeing how some posters on this site are relentlessly negative.

For example: did the Gophers cover the spread but lose to OSU? The negative posters tell us we can't enjoy that result because "who cares how we looked, we lost and all that matters is winning or losing."

But win a game and fail to cover the spread like today? We can't enjoy that either because "who cares if we won, we looked like crap doing it."

Just my .02 cents.
Some people actually look for something to complain about.

But you love blind negativity - got it
Didn't say or imply that. I am willing to objectively watch other games and compare coaching staffs that are prepared and those that are not.

The game at Colorado looks to me like a 50/50, at best.

And I'm pretty sure a team that finished 8-1 in the SEC last year with a string of top 10 recruiting classes is probably going to convincingly beat a bad defense using their 3rd string QB if need be.

There's lots of season left and it's a win. But it's the way the game had to be won that's concerning to many of us Gopher fans.
Zach Calzada was not that highly recruited, just a 3 star and has rarely seen the field. He got beat out by a 4 star Freshman Haynes King who got injured immediately at the start of the game.
Calzada threw <50% on 38 passes. That's not good, and not sure how much of that was because of great defensive play.

I’m happy about this win. Glad to see Potts shine; ecstatic to see our kicker nail a 50 yard FG. Going forward, we will need 35 points minimum against any good team. Unlikely our defense will score in any given game; even more unlikely kick returners will score. So, it’s all on the offense. If we simply run Potts 40 times a game into loaded boxes, and throw a dozen passes (only when predictable), it will be a long frustrating season. Potts will get injured and our passing game (QB and WRs) will lose confidence and get rusty.

PJ clearly was playing not to lose today, rather than playing aggressively to win. Don’t throw downfield? He wasn’t taking what the defense gave us. Won’t be many explosive plays on the offensive side this year if this grossly unbalanced mentality continues. And it looks like we’ll be yielding at least 4-5 explosive plays a game on defense. Bad formula for the season.
I get frustrated with these games where we should be experimenting a little because my thought is that with Mo going down, we needed to see what else we had in the backfield. I know they see these guys in practice, but game time is a different story and I really wanted to see the other guys, not just Potts pounding the ball nearly 40 times. I thought it would also be a good time to see what could be done in the passing game since we'll need to rely on that a bit more this season with Mo going down. I was hoping to see more tight end passes, maybe some running back screens or you know a little creativity somewhere.

I was also hoping the Defense would try some things as well to see what works and doesn't work, like perhaps a blitz or 2?

None of that happened today, on either side of the ball!

Yeah they got the win and that is the bottom line, BUT wouldn't it be nice to see these coordinators doing something that we didn't expect? That was the complaint in the Kill era as well during NC, flat out vanilla O and D and zero experimentation or any creativity.

Colorado looked pretty good today. We'll need to step things up quite a bit on both sides of the ball to win that game.

One positive note to end on; Special Teams play (primarily the kicking game) has improved significantly which is huge!

Zach Calzada was not that highly recruited, just a 3 star and has rarely seen the field. He got beat out by a 4 star Freshman Haynes King who got injured immediately at the start of the game.
Calzada threw <50% on 38 passes. That's not good, and not sure how much of that was because of great defensive play.
Ok, I'll bite. Calzada was a high 3 star (.88 247 sports) in GA. Our current highest QB recruit (AK) was a .89. Calzada is in his 3rd year in the system, but doesn't look to have a lot of game experience.

So I have no problem with the saying that A&M would have done better with their starter, but Colorado performed very well against a team with far more talent and better coaching than the 2021 Gophers appear to have.

I hope we have a very productive week of practice.

Top Bottom