We outplayed our rival again

btowngopher

Reaction score
We outplayed them for the fourth time in five years. The tide has turned on our rivals. Our lines don’t get dominated, we don’t get ran over, we run on them! They simply don’t out talent us. I hope they enjoyed the lengthy win streaks because I don’t see them starting new ones anytime soon against the program Fleck has built.

We outplayed them for the fourth time in five years. The tide has turned on our rivals. Our lines don’t get dominated, we don’t get ran over, we run on them! They simply don’t out talent us. I hope they enjoyed the lengthy win streaks because I don’t see them starting new ones anytime soon against the program Fleck has built.

This is a really good point.

Fleck ended both the streaks, but in my mind what's more important is the Gophers now play Wisconsin and Iowa toe-to-toe, like equals, every season.

And as you pointed out, btowngopher, we've actually out-played Iowa four of the last five years.

I think this is all really hard for Ferentz and the Iowa crowd to face, and that's why they're stubbornly claiming the game was stolen.

Deep down, they know they got beat. They just can't face it.

Yup, I’ve said it before, we beat Iowa several times now in everything but what matters, the score. Finally it played out.

Our defense put the absolute beatdown on that team. It was nice seeing our defensive line putting on pressure and they totaled 4 sacks, 6 TFL's and 3 TO's. I know Iowa's offense is not good, but I haven't seen our defense just dominate even against MAC teams or out of conference teams.

The only complaint was that awful drive where they gave up the TD due to 3 penalties on a short field. That was stupid, but otherwise very happy with their effort.

Best of all look at the ages of our defensive players who kicked Iowa all over the field. Nubin, Baugh, Collins and the rest mostly freshmen and sophomores.

This is what I told some buddies on Saturday. I have my issues with Fleck and he drives me up a wall with some of his playcalling (I know he doesn't call the plays, but I know his style of offense he wants), his clock management, his aggressiveness, etc, BUT the fact that Iowa and Wisconsin don't just look at us and chalk up a W can't go unnoticed. I would love to know what was being said behind closed doors last year after Mo had a career day and the offense ran over a phenomenal defense. Ironically, Jack Campbell and Mo Ibrahim are teammates on the Lions. Guarantee there is a lot of mutal respect there.

Perhaps. We'll see. Either way, it doesn't negate the two facts:

Iowa was 6-1 (now 6-2)

Iowa was ranked #24 nationally.

Also, the Hawkeyes had 200 yards rushing the previous week vs Wisconsin.
That might say more about Wisconsin's run defense than Iowa's rushing offense...

Perhaps. We'll see. Either way, it doesn't negate the two facts:

Iowa was 6-1 (now 6-2)

Iowa was ranked #24 nationally.

Also, the Hawkeyes had 200 yards rushing the previous week vs Wisconsin.
That might say more about Wisconsin's run defense than Iowa's rushing offense...
I know, yards are yards; but if I recall, one of Iowa's runs was an ~80 yard TD

I know, yards are yards; but if I recall, one of Iowa's runs was an ~80 yard TD

Don't 80 yard runs count as much as shorter runs?

I would have thought an 80 yard run is actually a pretty impressive piece of evidence that a team has a good running game... but I could be wrong.

Don't 80 yard runs count as much as shorter runs?

I would have thought an 80 yard run is actually a pretty impressive piece of evidence that a team has a good running game... but I could be wrong.
All true but you and I both know that outliers skew statistics. The 80 yard run is an outlier and doesn’t reflect completely the quality of the running game.

Top Bottom