We need to Find the Flaw!

Just a thought... maybe the Tar Heels' main flaw is on defense?

Also... how will their "flawless" offense perform against a B1G-level defense? Minnesota seems to play pretty tough defense, as I recall. This ain't the ACC, after all.

Caveat: I am a maroon and gold homer.

Also... how will their "flawless" offense perform against a B1G-level defense? Minnesota seems to play pretty tough defense, as I recall. This ain't the ACC, after all.

Yes, in recent years, NC’s defense has been its main flaw. Might be a game in which Gophers, if they can get ahead more than a touchdown, use TOP against an inconsistent defense as a secondary defensive tactic. Still hoping we find the flaw in NC’s “flawless” offense, too. Drake Maye could be the No. 1 draft pick and Heisman winner in 2024, but offense is an 11 person operation. Great game for Rossi’s brain trust to introduce NC to Big Ten defense. Go Gophers.

I know it's not Fleck's style. But watching Maye and Athan hook up in some 40-35 bomb-fest would be a hoot. odds of that happening are very low. but it would be fun.

My hope is that the QB everyone is talking about after the game is Athan, not Drake. I think the defense will need to be locked in for this game to go our way and how well the offense plays will determine how many nails I have chewed off by the end of the game :LOL:

Tough ask for new look D? If it truly is “flawless” hard to stop an offense. But, I don’t think the evidence shows they are. The MN offense will need to be efficient. Special team….do something other than average. Really looking forward to this one! A huge game, really, in setting the tone.

SON, I’d put the odds of Fleck taking early shots downfield as somewhere between zero to none but hey, maybe he’ll surprise me…do we have a real deep threat on the roster this year? Serious question.

We need to score points to beat the ‘heels. That looks good to me. UNC will be running more this year. We have to really stuff the run and force Maye to throw more. Yes, I said that.

UNC was dead last in the ACC in defense in 2022, giving up a robust 438 yards and 31 points per game. Minnesota gave up 279 ypg and 13.3 ppg in 2022.

Dead last against the pass, dead last overall, and dead last in scoring defense.

My hope is that the QB everyone is talking about after the game is Athan, not Drake. I think the defense will need to be locked in for this game to go our way and how well the offense plays will determine how many nails I have chewed off by the end of the game :LOL:
As fun as that sounds, I’d prefer them to only talk about our defense, rushing attack, and Athan hardly mentioned besides being poised and efficient. Hopefully we can continue to sneak up on teams and then have Athan just appear on Heisman ballots virtually out of nowhere.

Fear not. The Gophers are not intimidated.

Tough ask for new look D? If it truly is “flawless” hard to stop an offense. But, I don’t think the evidence shows they are. The MN offense will need to be efficient. Special team….do something other than average. Really looking forward to this one! A huge game, really, in setting the tone.

SON, I’d put the odds of Fleck taking early shots downfield as somewhere between zero to none but hey, maybe he’ll surprise me…do we have a real deep threat on the roster this year? Serious question.
Yes. Not only is CRAB back, but I was reading somewhere that Spencer is somehow better at winning congested balls than CRAB, and both Brockington and Spencer in the spring game were very efficient downfield (and Jackson is really really good).

Yes. Not only is CRAB back, but I was reading somewhere that Spencer is somehow better at winning congested balls than CRAB, and both Brockington and Spencer in the spring game were very efficient downfield (and Jackson is really really good).
Congested or contested?

But seriously, our receivers should be very very good this year. If our o-line can hold up it could be even better than 2019 in terms of passing.

Congested or contested?

But seriously, our receivers should be very very good this year. If our o-line can hold up it could be even better than 2019 in terms of passing.
Hopefully they can keep Athan healthy.

Minnesota has never lost to a team ranked below 100 in total defense under Fleck.
Even in "year 0" the Demry Croft Gophers dropped 54 on Nebraska's 116th ranked defense. All other such contests have been big Gopher wins.

UNC was 101st in total defense in 2021 and 102nd in 2022.

Defense-first teams like Iowa, Illinois (Bielema era) and Wisconsin (not so much lately) have given the Gophers the most troubles.

The Flaw is the UNC defense and the way to stop their offense will be to hold the ball for 40 minutes and slowly grind them out while Maye watches from the sideline.

Minnesota has never lost to a team ranked below 100 in total defense under Fleck.
Even in "year 0" the Demry Croft Gophers dropped 54 on Nebraska's 116th ranked defense. All other such contests have been big Gopher wins.

UNC was 101st in total defense in 2021 and 102nd in 2022.

Defense-first teams like Iowa, Illinois (Bielema era) and Wisconsin (not so much lately) have given the Gophers the most troubles.

The Flaw is the UNC defense and the way to stop their offense will be to hold the ball for 40 minutes and slowly grind them out while Maye watches from the sideline.
Strike early and often while mixing pass and run. Force turn overs and 3 and outs on Defense. We will dominate. Get a big lead on them. Don’t keep it close so Maye can hurt us late in the game. Don’t understand anyone thinking we will lose. I do not like the Tarheels but am force fed them on all media here. I do like the Wolfpack and NC A&T. But I love my Gophers.

Top Bottom