We need someone who can take a guy off the dribble

gopherdiehard

Reaction score
1 big problem iv seen with this team is we really don't have anyone who can take a guy off the dribble which has affected our three point shooting our chronic turnover problems.. if we had one guy who could consistently get into the lane i feel this season would look much different.

Dre can but doesn't nearly enough.

Exactly. I wish Dre would force the issue more often. As in drive, even if there isn't a good opening. He may draw a foul or draw a help defender over, opening up the lane.

Welsh isn't ultra quick, but with his upper body strength, he can get around guys and penetrate.

Exactly. I wish Dre would force the issue more often. As in drive, even if there isn't a good opening. He may draw a foul or draw a help defender over, opening up the lane.

I wonder if that is on Tubby and possibly yelling at Dre for doing that and turning the ball over? Might make him shy away from trying to drive the lane.

Dre is super competitive (which leads me to believe he would drive more if he could), but his PG handles are average at best. Against a quick guard that moves his feet well, Dre just has difficulty getting by. That is why you see a lot of step back shots from him.

Did anyone else notice Dre blow by his man for a layup in the middle of the Purdue game??? Yet he never went back to it. It amazes me how he can look like an NBA superstar in the making and then go Rodney Williams for the next ten minutes. I assume he'll figure it out in the next couple years, but it hurts to watch.

Dre is super competitive (which leads me to believe he would drive more if he could), but his PG handles are average at best. Against a quick guard that moves his feet well, Dre just has difficulty getting by. That is why you see a lot of step back shots from him.

100% on the money. This is the problem with just about everyone on the team. Not one guy can dribble drive past any decent defender. If Dre or Rodney could get that first step...watch out. They can't though.

Coleman seemed to drive alot last year. This year not as much.

100% on the money. This is the problem with just about everyone on the team. Not one guy can dribble drive past any decent defender. If Dre or Rodney could get that first step...watch out. They can't though.
+ 3 Couple that with poor outside shooting and what do you have? It's more about talent that offense strategy.Tubby last year always talked about improving the team's ball handling. Ball handling is a lot like shooting especially in game situations. You can get better but in most cases a player better have a good deal of those skills by the time they leave high school. We just haven't recruited a well rounded roster were there are players who can do different things to compliment each other.

Some good points made in this thread. I would add that 'Dre would have an easier time getting by guys (even though his handle isn't great and he's still right hand dominant) IF we had better outside shooters on the team so it's kind of a chicken/egg type of situation. The vast majority of the time, the Gophers have 3 guys on the floor who are no threat at all to score from outside. This leads to things like the paint being crowded, more zone played against us, and guys more willing to leave the corner to help on a drive because they are not worried about their man.

If the Gophers had 3-4 perimeter threats on the floor, we could get the defense moving to recover frequently and open up easier driving lanes.

Top Bottom