We need more Gophers like Jayson Ness

EG#9

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about wrestling. After watching the UNI/Kansas game, I flipped over to ESPN looking for postgame reaction, but they had on the NCAA wrestling finals. Jayson Ness was wrestling for Minnesota against some guy from Iowa. The guy from Iowa had a 1 point lead in the 3rd period when Ness went for a takedown. He missed the takedown, but his head hit his opponents knee. His opponent got a cheap two points for a takedown due to Ness hitting his face on the guys knee and then there was an injury timeout for Ness. When Ness was able to continue he got an immediate escape worth one point to close the game to two points at 4-2, but there wasn't much time left. Finally, with like 10 seconds or so left, Ness got a takedown on the Iowa wrestler worth 2 points and got "back points" which was an additional point (two points?) for what was essentially a buzzer beating victory. Even for someone who doesn't follow wrestling, this was a pretty cool moment to see. Now if Ness could just pass on some of that ability to perform in the clutch to our football and basketball teams, it would be greatly appreciated.

We could use more Gophers like Ness in every sport.

300 lbs of guts and heart crammed into a 133 lb. guy.

#1 on ESPN top 10

Ness' takedown was #1 on ESPN Top 10 on Monday morning.

Top Bottom