We may never be in this position again

Well, we lost to two of the three teams you said weren’t struggling - so that may say something too.
Spoofin - I know you usually like to take a couple days off after a loss as I usually do , but it's good to see you on here. You can't keep a good man down for long!

Ciarrocca is mind-bendingly overrated. D + grade for him on the year.

You can make peace with a talent deficit Minnesota, but we had talent superiority against Iowa and Wisconsin. THAT is the killer point

Some of you people don't realize the better we get the more it will look like teams ares struggling.
This year tied for the second toughest Big Ten West since it was split into East and West.

Total Wins by the West
2019 = 31 (WI and MN)
2018 = 31 (NW)
2017 = 29 (WI)
2016 = 32 (WI)
2015 = 28 (Iowa)
2014 = 28 (Wisc)

Next year we have the same schedule with 3 non-con games we will be favored in. And we get Mich and Mich St instead of PSU and Rutgers.
PSU and Michigan are about equal.
MSU isn't as bad as Rutgers but who knows what happens there. Hardly worth putting your tail between your legs about.

You can make peace with a talent deficit Minnesota, but we had talent superiority against Iowa and Wisconsin. THAT is the killer point

This take will certainly be in the running for worst post of the day. Step away from the keyboard my friend.

This take will certainly be in the running for worst post of the day. Step away from the keyboard my friend.

3 solid running B1G running backs, above average offensive line, 2 NFL wide receivers, 1 NFL quarterback, and 2 more solid wideouts that could be starters on other B1G teams.

Boatloads of talent that'll make anyone look good. Iowa and Wisconsin coaches ran circles around him with MUCH less talent.

3 solid running B1G running backs, above average offensive line, 2 NFL wide receivers, 1 NFL quarterback, and 2 more solid wideouts that could be starters on other B1G teams.

Boatloads of talent that'll make anyone look good. Iowa and Wisconsin coaches ran circles around him with MUCH less talent.

Are you trying to claim Iowa and Wisconsin had less talent than us? Are you drunk. Do you have the munchies? We may have a lot of talent, but the game yesterday was lost in the trenches on both sides of the ball. And up and down the line, Wisconsin had more talent. And it showed. We pushed around crappy teams with our offensive line, but not this one.

We went 10-2 and the OP is claiming it will never happen again. That's exactly what PJ said in his press conference. We're not going back. Start expecting years like this. Here's one more positive I haven't seen posted. The coaches don't have a game next week. They can head out tomorrow and recruit. And see if they can pick up any last minute folks to bolster this class. We will be really damn good next year and our offensive line should be much better. Defensive line is still to be seen.

In both losses, the Goph playmakers (especially on offense) had chances but didn't make plays. These special playmakers overcame deficiencies in the o-line and defensive front seven in 10 of 12 games this year, but not IA and WI. The Wiscy QB and receivers made special plays yesterday in terrible conditions that changed the game. The Gophs didn't.

I'm hoping there's some serious red shirted lineman talent waiting in the wings. That will be crucial to move from good to great.

As far as the thread title, I think it's ridiculous to think this is as good as it gets. The Gophs are already competing with the teams one level down from Ohio State. If the current core coaching staff sticks for a while, it's just a matter of time that the Gophs will be in Indianapolis. The revolving door of coaches the past 13 years has held this team back.

Last edited:

The Gophers have plenty of talent. The current staff has upgraded the roster. However, a lot of work still needs to be done on the OL and DL.

Iowa and Wisconsin both out talent the Gophers at those position groups. This current regime needs to upgrade the talent there.

To the OP:

The second part of your original post (about Minnesota not being aggressive enough, and not being strong enough in the trenches) is brilliantly spot on. I agree completely. Very well said.

However, the first part/opening part of your statement, as well as the title of your thread, is sheer nonsense.

There is simply no reason to assume, as you have, that Minnesota will "never" be in a similar position again. That's typical Minnesotan hang-dog, defeatist claptrap.

A question for all you Lake Wobegon sad sacks who are singing sad strains of "never again": going into this season, did you predict more than or fewer than 10 wins for this team? Thanks. No need to reply; we all know the answer. You were sure we'd "never" win ten games, weren't you? Yes, I'm talking to you.

Also, to the "we had a really easy schedule" folks who keep talking about how we were able to 'dodge' mighty Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State, my question would be: are Michigan State and Michigan really unbeatable in your minds? Really? If so, in which decade are you currently living? Penn State is better than both of them here in 2019, a.k.a 'the present'. And Penn State is likely to stay that way for some time to come.

Are you trying to claim Iowa and Wisconsin had less talent than us? Are you drunk. Do you have the munchies? We may have a lot of talent, but the game yesterday was lost in the trenches on both sides of the ball. And up and down the line, Wisconsin had more talent. And it showed. We pushed around crappy teams with our offensive line, but not this one.

I think this paragraph says it all. What were the big differences yesterday? Coan had all day. Tanner was running for his life all day (to be fair to Coan, he was a bit sharper than Tanner yesterday as well). Those differences were also evident against Iowa. We had a few good sized runs but struggled to make short yardage situations while Wisconsin's short yardage situations were almost automatic.

And, of course, our special teams, a problem all year long, were once again a problem yesterday.

Our passing game carried us all year long but the rest of our team was erratic throughout the year.

The Gophers have plenty of talent. The current staff has upgraded the roster. However, a lot of work still needs to be done on the OL and DL.

Iowa and Wisconsin both out talent the Gophers at those position groups. This current regime needs to upgrade the talent there.

Yes.

EG9 nailed it.
Most frustrating thing is the fact that we completely control our level of aggression. And we appeared to have learned that even though the Iowa game gave us a great lesson in what happens when you sit back and hope Iowa and Wisconsin will lose instead of going out and beating them.

No we did not. There is a reason we were underdogs in both games.

The goal now has to be get back in the saddle and finish strong against a good bowl game opponent.

Glad you reminded people of that. Georgia Tech was not the same quality of opponent as we are likely to face in this season's bowl but the team was very well prepared for that game despite playing without two critical starters. I have confidence that the team will be well prepared again.

We‘ll be back next year. This is the new normal. The best teams in college football go to a bowl game. Half of them end the season with a loss. This is a top 20 team at the end of the year. The third time that has happened in 50+ years! We have recruited well enough to be better next year. We‘ll be in the hunt again next year. We have to find a way to beat Iowa and Wisconsin and we will. The program is growing up. Nebraska wishes they were us.

I’d like us to get to a point where we aren’t just deceptively good. where we get a weak schedule, with 2 bad crossover teams, a mostly struggling West division, and ending up with home field advantage for the toughest games. I’d like us to just get good. Period. Would I have loved to see us go 11-1? Make the championship? Rose Bowl at minimum? Yeah, of course I would. I’d like us to do it with us just being a kick ass team, not just getting it because of the softest schedule we’ve had in a long long time.

I think based on what we actually have right now, we’ll end up ranked where we deserve. I think we’ll get the bowl we deserve. I think we’re currently a team that can contend in big games. we can cause upsets. we are a top 25 team. But we’re not a top 10, CFP contender overall. not yet. I think that’s okay. I have high hopes, I was ready to buy tickets to Pasadena. But 10-2 in Fleck’s 3rd year is really solid. We could be sitting with Brohm or Frost, that would be utterly depressing.
That sums it up perfectly! Agree 100%

Why the hell are people talking about highwater marks and acting as if their dog just got run over? The program is in its 3rd year under Coach Fleck, and the Minnesota Gophers were one of just 9 teams that had a chance to make the CFP going into the final week of the regular season. Again, they were one of the last 9 teams in his 3rd year, and the future is looking great. The strongest part of this team is our top 15 offense which is fairly young. Recruiting has been trending up, AD and BOR support is stronger than it has been in decades, we got Gameday for the first time ever, and our coach who many programs want to poach just signed an extension that keeps him here for at least two more years.

Was today disappointing? Yes, undeniably so. But quit sulking, keep rowing the boat, and appreciate the unexpected, wild ride that just happened. Then when you're done get back in line because we will be riding that ride again over the next few years.

Well said. Obviously time will tell but even very early in the year I felt like we were at least a year ahead of schedule. Things are moving in the right direction but there is still work to be done. This was an amazing ride and it isn't over, the best is yet to come for this program.

When the disappointment from yesterday subsides I think those that are freaking out will see it.

Next year we might get 10 wins, we might only have 7. We might have less.
But the build will keep going.

<Insert picture of chart of success here.>

Disagree. He's had some beautifully mastered gameplans and some clunkers. Today was a bit of a clunker. The Badgers sent the house against Tanner and made him the needing to play well to win the game. I think it also affected the gameplan some when Faalele went out. Fleck talked about having to change things without our 6 OL package.

Rough game, but teams have face plants at times. This, and to a lesser extent, the Iowa game, were those this season. Although I'd argue the Iowa was more of a poor defensive gameplan that dug us a large hole.

I’d like us to get to a point where we aren’t just deceptively good. where we get a weak schedule, with 2 bad crossover teams, a mostly struggling West division, and ending up with home field advantage for the toughest games. I’d like us to just get good. Period. Would I have loved to see us go 11-1? Make the championship? Rose Bowl at minimum? Yeah, of course I would. I’d like us to do it with us just being a kick ass team, not just getting it because of the softest schedule we’ve had in a long long time.

I think based on what we actually have right now, we’ll end up ranked where we deserve. I think we’ll get the bowl we deserve. I think we’re currently a team that can contend in big games. we can cause upsets. we are a top 25 team. But we’re not a top 10, CFP contender overall. not yet. I think that’s okay. I have high hopes, I was ready to buy tickets to Pasadena. But 10-2 in Fleck’s 3rd year is really solid. We could be sitting with Brohm or Frost, that would be utterly depressing.

I've been posting this for 2+ years.

Team is 10-2. Hopefully gets win 11 in January. Great season. Next year more good things will come.

Some of you people don't realize the better we get the more it will look like teams ares struggling.
This year tied for the second toughest Big Ten West since it was split into East and West.

Total Wins by the West
2019 = 31 (WI and MN)
2018 = 31 (NW)
2017 = 29 (WI)
2016 = 32 (WI)
2015 = 28 (Iowa)
2014 = 28 (Wisc)

Next year we have the same schedule with 3 non-con games we will be favored in. And we get Mich and Mich St instead of PSU and Rutgers.
PSU and Michigan are about equal.
MSU isn't as bad as Rutgers but who knows what happens there. Hardly worth putting your tail between your legs about.
Definitely not as favorable as this year's schedule. Five road B1G games next year. No matter how you slice it, Gophs have to compete with and beat Iowa and Wisc to get to the next level. Neither team has consistently recruited top 25 classes. Until the last couple years with Wisc getting two classes inside 30, Mostly 35-50 range.

After letting the loss cool off a bit, I think the future is bright for the Gophs asuming Fleck stays. Wisconsin and Iowa are very good annually but have peaked below the "great" level as their solid but not great offenses have held them back from competing at the highest level. They can be passed eventually. Wiscy will get ass kicked next week on a dry fast field indoors. Fleck has already shown the ability to develop and recruit multiple gamechangers in the passing game which is something Wiscy and Iowa haven't done. Now....just need to improve line and linebacker play for the next step.

The defeat by Iowa the first smash mouth team that MN faced should have been a warning signal.
PSU is a finesse team.
MN's schedule was no ones fault but to ignore where it ranked compared to WI, MI, tOSU etc was a mistake. It was a mistake to ignore Sagarin and other metrics that had WI and IA as a favorites.
It was a mistake to think the #8 ranking in the CFP would determine the outcome of the WI game.
Any objective analysis of Fleck's career at MN will be determined over at least a five-year period. I for one think that the future is neutral. To get ahead of IA and WI he has to recruit better than them and haveposition coaches that are better than them.
Those things have not happened yet. Yesterday WI had more talent on the field and in the position coaches than MN did.

After letting the loss cool off a bit, I think the future is bright for the Gophs asuming Fleck stays. Wisconsin and Iowa are very good annually but have peaked below the "great" level as their solid but not great offenses have held them back from competing at the highest level. They can be passed eventually. Wiscy will get ass kicked next week on a dry fast field indoors. Fleck has already shown the ability to develop and recruit multiple gamechangers in the passing game which is something Wiscy and Iowa haven't done. Now....just need to improve line and linebacker play for the next step.
This is not true. WI had better results in the passing game by a wide margin. Morgan had has most ineffective game and when the game was on the line at the WI 4 two TD passes to Johnson were incomplete.

This is not true. WI had better results in the passing game by a wide margin. Morgan had has most ineffective game and when the game was on the line at the WI 4 two TD passes to Johnson were incomplete.

Which is why the line needs more work. Getting hit and hurried all day affects even the best QBs. That, and the receivers just didn’t have great hands yesterday. Everything was a bit off and hurried, and Wisconsin played great defense. They brought their A game similar to when they played Michigan earlier in the year.

I'm not talking one game. I'm talking big picture. Wiscy and Iowa passing-game playmakers are nowhere near Minnesota's and won't be the next year or two either. Yesterday, Wiscy definitely outplayed Minnesota in all phases.

People are acting as if this was the easiest schedule of all times. We had the exact same crossovers (Penn St., Maryland & Rutgers) that we did in 2016. In none of the 3 previous years have we played more than one of the historically top East Division teams of Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. If you call Michigan State the same level (which they can occasionally be), we have played two of the "top 4" teams from the East 3 years since expansion and only one such teams 3 years. Next year, we play Michigan and Michigan State (which isn't looking elite) and in 2021 we only play OSU out of those 4 teams.
So I don't think the difficulty of conference schedule varies as much from year-to-year as others seem to fear.

Correct, for 2016-2021, we got Maryland as our constant cross-over and then rotate Rutgers/Penn St (2016, 2019), Michigan/Michigan St (2017, 2020), and Indiana/Ohio St (2018, 2021).

Starting 2022, it looks like our constant cross-over will be Michigan St, and we'll rotate Rutgers/Penn St (2022, 2025), Ohio St/Michigan (2023,2026), and Maryland/Indiana (2024,2027).

Mich St was down this year, same with NW. Of course by 2022, who knows what will happen.

Top Bottom