We Lost, Then What?

OK, just getting this out there, how would you feel or what do you think our 2022 season’s focus should be if we lose to ILL?

IF a loss to ILL, we’d be at 4-2 overall & 1-2 in conference play, you still think we have a shot at the West with PSU, Iowa & Wis left? You would think Rutgers, Nebraska, and NW should all be Ws but those certainly aren’t guaranteed.

If we lose to ILL, then personally I like to see us winning all of our trophy games (bell, chair, pig, axe) and we’d be with minimally 8 wins. I’d think that would be a semi-successful respectable season!

I’m just preparing myself for Saturday and trying to tell myself that it will be OK if we lose on Saturday! I need to calm myself now and have low expectations.

What say you? Would you be OK if we lose on Saturday?
Like divorce, that word is not in my vocabulary. I will just avoid bridges if we were to... whatever the word is. ;)

it may be a cliche, but there is a lot of truth to it:

you're never as good as you think you are after a win, and you're never as bad as you think you are after a loss.

after the win over MSU, there were a lot of people talking about conference titles, Rose Bowls, even a possible berth in the CFP. Shoot, even Mackey and Judd, who almost never mention the Gophers, were talking about how good the Gophers looked.

then, after the loss to Purdue, everything turned to doom and gloom. the cynics immediately brought out the "same old Gophers" routine. Mackey and Judd declared the season was over.

the truth - however you define the truth - as in most cases, can be found somewhere in-between.

to quote Sarah Conner - "there is no fate but that which we make." the Gophers will decide what kind of a season this is going to be.

A thread about losing? Glad I don't hang out with those type of people.

Minnesota is starting to act like a blue blood, where one loss is cause for extreme FUD, two losses someone starts a firepjfleck website, and three losses makes folks start throwing around millions of $$$ to make it all superficially better

OK, just getting this out there, how would you feel or what do you think our 2022 season’s focus should be if we lose to ILL?

IF a loss to ILL, we’d be at 4-2 overall & 1-2 in conference play, you still think we have a shot at the West with PSU, Iowa & Wis left? You would think Rutgers, Nebraska, and NW should all be Ws but those certainly aren’t guaranteed.

If we lose to ILL, then personally I like to see us winning all of our trophy games (bell, chair, pig, axe) and we’d be with minimally 8 wins. I’d think that would be a semi-successful respectable season!

I’m just preparing myself for Saturday and trying to tell myself that it will be OK if we lose on Saturday! I need to calm myself now and have low expectations.

If we lose to Illinois, we'll probably also drop the Penn State game and lose at least one from Badgers, Huskers, Iowa. That would be a 9-3 season, with a bowl shot at 10-3, but not the West championship. If upset by Nebraska, we go 8-4, not so good for those with high expectations, but not really all that bad.

Hey I hope we win also, but my post numbers most likely to increase if we win 😆👍

I blow my nose at you, and I fart in your general direction, you silly English pigdog

GO GOPHERS!!

Keep your head up Yah-E. They won't lose by 84-13. This is not the 1983 Gophers.

Being a realist and complaining before things happen are two different things.

Just wondering what all y’all will think if we lose, that’s all?

Bad bad ju-ju or being a Debbie Downer, just saying we can lose at any given Saturday and after our Purdue disgrace and how decent of a team ILL is this year, not unrealistic that we lose.

If repping the West is out after a loss to ILL, what’s your thoughts on the rest of the season?

I hope we win, but I hoped too much two weeks ago and that really pissed me off as a fan and team supporter. I’m just trying to not hype myself up for tomorrow and hope the team will pull out a W! To do just that, I am projecting that they’ll lose for my own sanity and maybe they’ll win! 🙏
It's just a bad thread. Period.

We are football fans and we have a home team. I expect to win every Saturday and never think about any other possibility until it is reality.

In this case, optimism is justified. We have a better offense and quite likely a better defense. Illinois' defense has not yet been challenged by a good, balanced offense. We will show them that tomorrow.

Could be a discussion if that happens.

Mods....lock thread and delete all traces. Thanx.

This team is just bad...all the older players and they are still bad. It's best to just hope we can occasionally beat WI or maybe get a first victory against IA. That's all. Fleck will keep us from being as bad as Brewster but that's it.

I will never buy the hype again.

"There's always next year." -Minnesota sports, usually roughly halfway through a season

it may be a cliche, but there is a lot of truth to it:

you're never as good as you think you are after a win, and you're never as bad as you think you are after a loss.

after the win over MSU, there were a lot of people talking about conference titles, Rose Bowls, even a possible berth in the CFP. Shoot, even Mackey and Judd, who almost never mention the Gophers, were talking about how good the Gophers looked.

then, after the loss to Purdue, everything turned to doom and gloom. the cynics immediately brought out the "same old Gophers" routine. Mackey and Judd declared the season was over.

the truth - however you define the truth - as in most cases, can be found somewhere in-between.

to quote Sarah Conner - "there is no fate but that which we make." the Gophers will decide what kind of a season this is going to be.
The season is over as far as a west title goes...no chance. I think this is the year we beat IA...but will lose to PSU and WI.

The season is over as far as a west title goes...no chance. I think this is the year we beat IA...but will lose to PSU and WI.
Yes the B1G West dream is over. They should still be able to get bowl eligible. Time for Fleck to win the pig.

Just enjoy the reminder of the season. College football season seems to go by way too fast.

We lost. Now we need to best Rutgers, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Iowa to finish at least 8-4.

Well, my apologies for doubting you.

"There's always next year." -Minnesota sports, usually roughly halfway through a season
Yep, as a lifelong MN sports fan, I know this too well. I understand a few posted on this site that they didn’t understand the pessimism expressed by the OP and they were wired to be optimistic. I believe some folks are wired that way. However, I think most of us MN fans are wired to expect the worst and hope for the best.

I’m disappointed, but I don’t let losses wreck my day like it used to when I was younger. I was more disappointed after the Purdue game. When Illinois hired Bielema, I thought it was a great hire, and he’s turned it around much quicker than I thought he would.

I just need them to finish 8-4 to get my 7.5 over bet at Diamond Jo’s to payoff! Only chance to win the west is to win out, which is very unlikely, so that bet is probably down the drain.

Getting Minnesota to the upper level of the BIG is a huge uphill climb. Said that for years and continue to believe that. Kill, Fleck learned that and the next guy(s) will as well. My hope was to get one more Rose Bowl gig but my time is getting short.

Top Bottom